Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
35, Berkeley street, Lawrence Hill Bristol

I am doing a bit of family history. It involves the Dascombe family and the Randall family. Both families were in the area in the late 1800’s.

I am particularly interested in a Reuben Dascombe who lived at 35, Berkeley street, Lawrence Hill and died in 1893 at 1, Berkeley Street. But I cannot find Berkeley Street, Lawrence Hill , there is one by Eastville park but Unfortunately, that road does not appear to have any houses on it.

I was wondering if Lawrence Hill covered that far in those days ( if so it may have been bombed ), or there was a Berkeley Street in Lawrence Hill that has now vanished.

The Randall Family ran a fruit buisness at 3, Milk Street, I have seen your picture but cannot be certain which one is no3.
Can you help

Regards

Martin.

P.S. Reuben ran the Royal Steam engine, Gas Lane, St, Philips. He got stopped for drink driving in 1876. I can send you the newspaper article if you would like to see it.

Re: 35, Berkeley street, Lawrence Hill Bristol

Berkeley Street was a 'No Thoroughfare' running from 131 Lawrence Hill through to the Bristol Waggon works. I don't know if it still exists.

Re: 35, Berkeley street, Lawrence Hill Bristol

HI Kevin, Thanks very much for your reply. I forgot I had left this message on. I am still interested in Milk Street but have found where Berkeley Street WAS, thanks to the Lawrence Hill History group. Berkeley Street became the Lawrence Hill Bus Depot, Now VOSA.The main building is called Berkeley House.
I have also found a brilliant web site that shows maps from 1750 - 2010. I have found a few roads that are no longer there. It will even overlay the new map over the older one using the "Spy Glass " function.
Thanks again for replying. Here is the link if you are interested: http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/knowyourplace/

Regards. Martin.