Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bedminster Union

If my relative was the medical officer for the Bedminster Union for 42 years (between approx 1835-1880),would he have also been employed elsewhere at the same time?
His name was Thomas Tovey Smart and I am trying to discover something of his professional life but need to know where to start searching.
Thanks so much for any help you may be able to offer!

Joy Roberts

Re: Bedminster Union

Joy,

Trade directories dating from 1844 to 1876 list Thomas Tovey Smart as Surgeon, South Villa, Alpha Road, Bedminster.
The 1844 directory also lists him as medical officer for the parish of Bedminster.
In 1853, Robert Smart, Surgeon, is also listed at the same Bedminster address.

Kevin.

Re: Bedminster Union

Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my query.Although I knew Thomas T Smart was listed as a surgeon, I have been unable to discover if he worked at a local hospital or if being the medical officer for the Bedminster Union was a full time job..will keep searching!

Didn't already know the name of his road though..so thanks again!

Joy