Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fudge Boot Manufactueres

I am looking for information about a boot factory belonging to Thomas Fudge. It was situated between Orchard Road and Albert Road, St George. I know it was there in 1902 as the Bristol Archives have planning documents showing additions to the buildings.

I have not been able to find any photographs of this factory or any inforamtion about Fudge Boot Manufactueres and wondered if it was bombed during the war?

If you can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks very much

Deborah Howells

[:|]

Re: Fudge Boot Manufactueres

About 20 years ago my daughter lived in Orchard Road and one of the buildings you are asking about was visible from her back garden. At that time the buildings were occupied by Frost and Reed, art dealers.

There were two buildings on either side of what you call Albert Road. On an old printed map it is named Albert Road but on streetmap.co.uk it is shown as Albert Grove. If you want to find it try searching for Hudds Vale Road (as there are so many Alberts and Orchards).

At the time my daughter lived there the buildings were occupied by Frost and Reed the art dealers. An apartment was recently advertised in Frost and Reed House.

My late aunt told us that she used to work there (or visit) from time to time when she made brassieres. That would have been in the late 1920's.

I am interested in your enquiry because my great-grandmother was a Fudge (Long Ashton) and my granddaughter will marry a Fudge later this year.