Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bishop Road Primary

Can you help??

I'm a teacher at Bishop Road Primary in Bristol. I have been asked to carry out a Remembrance Day assembly in my school. To help the children understand the history and relevance of the event to them ~I have chosen to research a soldier named Henry Dolphin (who died in World War 1) that previously attended Bishop Road. I have used the census and other websites to find out that he used to live on Golden Hill and Glos Rd. Using your website i've managed to find some great old photos of those areas. I am trying to collect all the information I have gathered into a pack for the children to study in class and then present in the assembly. I was wondering if you could help with a few points.

A few questions:

Do you have any more photos of Glos rd/Golden Hill in the early 1900's?

On his military sign up form it says that Henry Dolphin worked as a Milkman for a company called London and Gloucestershire Dairy whose address is noted as 29 Stokes Croft. I have googled this and managed to find a picture of their London branch but cant find any other information on the company (apart from a rather tedious planning complaint in some old Law records!)

Do you know any history or perhaps have any photos of this company or building?

Finally - Do you have an idea of anyone I could email or meet to discuss how I might be able to track down any of his relatives as it would obviously be great to find a photo of him to show the children.

If you could help on any of these points I would be very grateful. If you want anymore details then please email me back,

Thanks a lot in advance of any help you can offer,

Nick Jones

Bishop Road Primary

P.S - We have lots of pictures of the school and surrounding area at events such as sports day, some of which are dating back to the early 1900's. If you would like to view these pictures i'm sure i could arrange this in the new school year. [8)]