Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
newfoundland road

please, does anyone out there have any photos or any information about the newfoundland road area in the 50's. i am especially interested in any one from lake street.please, please. there must be someone.!!

Re: newfoundland road

I lived for 20+ years in Clement Street off of Newfoundland Road. I remember Lake Street being off Newfoundland Road but not sure which of two streets it was. In one my aunt And Uncle lived, there name was Granger, the other a freind of mine lived, his name was Parsons. I will have to look at an old map I have somewhere to confirm which was which. Hope this helps.

Re: Re: newfoundland road

Hi Roy
Thanks for your info. Clement Street was nearly opposite Lake Street. The names Granger and Parsons are both family names that I remember. There was a family of Parsons in Lake Street. Lots of boys. The names Billy and Reggie were definately two of them. Are these the Parsons you knew.The three streets were Lake Street, Cabot Street and St. Lawrenece Street.We all had so much fun playing on the bombed site next to our house.Have you any photographs of the area? I would love to see some.

Sylvia

Hi all,
Just came across this thread and noticed the name Parsons come up. My mothers family came from around this area - Cowley St. My Mother is 87 now and has Alzeimers so getting information from her is difficult to impossible.
Some names she mentions are:
Jack Parsons, who she seems to think married my Grandfathers (James Samuel Garrett) sister (I think more likely his stepsister,Lily Parsons nee Millard).
Jack parsons may have worked as a printer for Bristol evening world.
Other related names I am interested in from the area are: Pitman (David and Rita); Robbins; Martins; Millards; Gibbs; Garretts and Morris.
Can anyone shed some lght on these families? I'm particulary interested in James Samuel Garrett who lived in wellington road,Cowley St, Earl St before moving to the then new developement at Knowle West and by that time may have been known as James Samuel Gibbs.

Thanks Michael for replying to my query.Unfortunatly although I know Cowley Street and Wellington Road the name Garrett doesn't ring a bell.I'm still hoping someone will remember a childhood friend of mine Irene Bates who lived in Monk Street in the late fifties and earliy sixties. Can anyone help.I did know a couple called Pitman but they lived in Claremont Street in the late fifities. This is a street off of Stapleton Road.

Sylvia Warren