Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clifton School?

I've just discovered your website, absolutely fantastic.

I write to enquire if you are able to assist me. In the early years of the war, almost certainly 1940, we lived in Bristol for a while and I went to school there when dad was stationed in Whiteladies Road when in the Military Police.

I remember going to school down about 200 steps, crossing the road then up about another 100 to school. What I am trying to do is discover where these steps were and if they still exist.

I would imagine we lived in the Clifton Area as I remember walking to the Suspension Bridge, I also recall Temple Mead station.

I seem to recall the house we lodged in was 3-4 stories high and was part of a terrace. I remember the barrage balloons and soon after we left I remember mum saying the area where we lived was bombed. This would tie in with your pictures and the date 24 Nov 1940.

From the searches I've done on the internet I see there is St John's school in Worrall Road with Quarry Steps nearby. Could this be it I wonder!
The one thing I do remember is going down and up those steps. It must have been an Infant school as I would have been 5 at the time.

Any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated.

I live in Sussex but am visiting Filton next weekend and look forward to exploring the city.

Kind regards
Mike Evans