Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thomas ST, Francis Place

My great grandfather was born there and a married a Sarah Pulling from West Street, his name was Samuel Cawley. My grandfather came over to Canada with 11 other lads in 1888 he was 15 at the time, my great grandfather William Cawley lived at Francis Place, do these two streets still exist in Bristol,

Re: Thomas ST, Francis Place

Francis Place was just off Nine Tree Hill but disappeared with the building of the Dove Street high rise flats in the mid sixties, the building of these flats also cut through Thomas Street, a short stretch is still there off Stoke's Croft and an even shorter bit (Thomas Street North) remains up between Somerset Street and Kingsdown Parade.

Kevin.

I expect you know that the 1871 census lists Frederick Cawley of No.1 Francis Place as a cabinet maker and beer retailer, but did you know this was a pub called the Fremantle Ale & Porter Stores. Bristol directories list Frederick Cawley as beer retailer at this pub between 1866 and 1877.

Kevin.

Thanks Kevin for the update, I am in New Brunswick Canada and never knew my grandfather he died here in 1941. I have been researching the family, he seems to be the only one of his family that came to Canada, so I have trying to find relatives if any exist, have been getting a lot of help from various organizations and I just found this site this morning, again thankyou for the info,

The Frederick at the Freemantle Ale House is a brother to my Great Grandfather Samuel, sure was nice to finally settle that connection, am still working on two other brothers of my great grandfather, I do not think either of them married but a third one did and his name was Frederick as well, Frederick Thomas to be exact. Thanks again for steering me in a right direction. Bob

I see now this statement is in error, the Frederick at the Freemantle Ale and Porter store was in fact the brother of my great great grandfather. I am not looking for Fredericks wife Sarah's maiden name.