Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where were the original City gates?

Hiya

I am hoping that someone will be able to answer this one for me.

Does anyone know where all of the orignal city gates were? I know there are a few remaining (like to one behind the old SWEB building)but I'm unable to find any info on the other ones.

Many thanks

Marie

Re: Where were the original City gates?

The medieval core, including the site of Bristol Castle, covers the earliest parts of the historic city walls, dating from around 1000AD.

Like most old towns, Bristol was surrounded by a defensive wall. In the case of Bristol, it encompassed a relatively small area, already bounded by the two rivers. The area within the walls was originally laid out on four main streets - High Street, Corn Steet, Broad Street and Wine Street.

Medieval Bristol: the four main streets converging at the marketplace, with its high cross (erected 1373); the inner walls with the four gates – St. John's to the north, guarding the entrance from the Frome bridge, St. Nicholas' gate to the south (the saints names reflecting the addition of churches onto the gate structures) near the Avon bridge, St. Leonard's gate to the west giving access to the far end of the quayside along the Frome, and the New Gate on the east side near the Norman castle (built by 1088), which sealed off the land-based access to the peninsula formed by the two rivers and became the administrative centre for the earldom of Gloucester until 1175. By the end of the 13th century, large suburbs had developed in all directions of the compass, all but the northern one (where most of the major religious houses were established) protected by new lines of walls.

A large section of the medieval town wall was demolished in the 1950's to make way for the large Co-operative building Fairfax House. Recently, Fairfax House has in turn been replaced by The Galleries complex.

St John's Gate, is the only surviving medieval gateway into Bristol out of the four city gates.

St John's church was built on the wall at this gateway at the end of the 14th Century, when a new outer wall was constructed. Originally a single gateway, the side passages were pushed through in 1820.

Other city gates in later years were Temple,Lawfords,Marshgate,Pithay,Newgate.

Re: Where were the original City gates?

Thank you very much for this information, I really appreciate the answer. I bought Millard's map yesterday from the museum and you can just about see the positioning of the gates and a lot of other intersting things too. I think I need a mangifying glass though! Your information has been priceless to tie it all together.

Thanks again
Marie