Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bevan & Swayne Paper manufacturers

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me? i am trying to get some background information about a paper mill which i believe was in the parish of Bitton.

I need to find out the period that the mill was in operation for and, what designs of watermark they used on their paper.

Any info or suggestions of possible avenues for exploration would be very much appreciated.
many thanks
Steve May

Re: Bevan & Swayne Paper manufacturers

Part of Bitton paper mill history can be found on my Bitton pages.

Re: Bevan & Swayne Paper manufacturers

Thanks for the link - have looked at the Social history pages for bitton but it has raised a bit of a problem for me. The issue is that I have some paper watermarked Bevan & Swayne 1827 so that appears to predate the time that you indicate that Bevan took over the old brass mill (mid 30's). Any ideas about how I might resolve this? Is it known if Bevan had a smaller mill somewhere else before he converted the mill? Are there any official records that i could search to find exact chronology of ownership etc?
Oh how i love a good detective story!!