Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
North Street

I have a photograph of North Street (St James) post office and nearby shops, etc, which I believe was taken between 1938-40. The street is empty but for a parked car and a policeman. There is a tramline in the centre of the street. The photo was probably taken at about 5.30 in the morning.
I would be interested to know if this part of North Street (Nos 12-16) is still standing or has been redeveloped. No. 16 in the photo is a shop called 'The Mart' which appears to be empty. A directory entry suggests that in 1938 this shop was the premises of Barton Motors.
Please email me if you'd like a copy of the picture.

Re: North Street

North Street St James Barton now lies under a massive traffic roundabout after rebuilding of the area from the damage of the blitz. Only a very small part of North Street remains the other part is a large roundabout (St. James Barton) underneath a large office building now converted into appartments.