Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
genealogy help

I am researching my family history and am currently at a concrete wall. If anyone knows any info that could help me knock it down I would be eternally grateful.

Joseph Haskins born abt. 1799 in Bitton. He married Amey PEasley in 1818 at St James , Bristol. I think his father was William HAskins.

I am trying to link my line to Minnie Haskins but I think it will be a huge task getting any info.

Many thanks

Re: genealogy help

Warmley Tower Pottery had now been in production for over half a century. The change the manufacture of metal products from the time of William Champion to the manufacturing of stoneware and clay goods began in about 1847 by the son of the owner of the site, Alfred Davidson.

Davidson, like Champion before him, brought skilled artisans from other areas to Warmley to continue using their skill for his benefit.

As the years passed more furnaces were built and it was tradition at the Tower Pottery to number the kilns as they were built, but to keep the same number or name if it was rebuilt.

In 1890 Joseph Haskins took control of the Pottery and gave the works his name. Joseph died the following year and the business passed to his wife, Louise, and son, Herbert.

By 1912, Herbert Haskins who, like his father, had patented many developments and innovations of his own, particularly in the design of chimney pots, commissioned a new much larger bee-hive style kiln to be built. This was the fifth to be built and due to its great dimensions and the time of its construction, number five kiln was christened "Titanic" Fortunately the kiln had a much longer history than the prestigious liner.

Re: genealogy help

When the estate of Louisa Haskins, widow of Joseph, was sold in 1918, Sir Seymour-Williams was in a position to purchase the Pottery and became Chairman of Haskins Ltd. Warmley Pottery. Sir John lived for many years in the Old Lodge opposite Warmley House and after his death on the 24th January 1945, his widow, Lady Williams, then of the Old Rectory, Siston, made the gift of a splendid pair of gates for St. Barnabas Church, in his memory.