Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parkwall, Willsbridge?

In following my family history through Hanham, then Monmouth (I discovered the HARRIS family in Whitelye,Trelleck) I was given an address for - Isobel (nee HARRIS) and Frank Vincent at Fairfield Cottage , Parkwall near 'Wells Bridge'- assuming this was Willsbridge. Would anyone, including the webmaster know what part of Parkwall is left now if any?

Re: Parkwall, Willsbridge?

This subject will take a little time to research.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

In following my family history through Hanham, then Monmouth (I discovered the HARRIS family in Whitelye,Trelleck) I was given an address for - Isobel (nee HARRIS) and Frank Vincent at Fairfield Cottage , Parkwall near 'Wells Bridge'- assuming this was Willsbridge. Would anyone, including the webmaster know what part of Parkwall is left now if any?

Parkwall Road runs from Longwell Green (Shellards Road) to Cadbury Heath. I would suggest the Parkwall area was originally the fields on which the 1950s council estate (Park Estate)was built, stretching from the edge of Longwell Green to Cadbury Heath (bordered by California Road/Tower Road South). I lived in Earlstone Crescent & went to Parwall Primary School, in the middle of the Estate. THe aea along Parwall Road (as far as Wraxall road) was probably regarded as Parkwall ( now also borders Barrs Cout Estate).

I also lived on the parkwall estate in longhandstones from when the houses were built in about 1955/6 untill 1972 when i left to join the RAF. my famliy continued to live there untill after my fathers death in 1992. (Elwyn Jordan)untill 1994. when mum moved to Kingswood.
we spent many happy hours at willsbridge when the mill pond was still dammed in the spring we would pick arm fulls of bluebell from the wood blackberries in the autumn and rose hips to take to school for rose hip syrup. it could be reach from crossing the fields on california road, or coming up from the brook or in from the main road on the way to bitton