Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pountney and Co

I'm trying to find out more about a meat platter that I have had for many years that was made in Bristol. Can you tell me if the Pottery is still in existence and would anyone be able to help me with the age of this platter.

It is stamped on the back with the words Pountney & Co Ltd, Bristol, England estd 1683 , Mallard.

many thanks

Elaine

Re: Pountney and Co

The Bristol pottery went into liquidation in 1971 but was reborn again in Cornwall with the name Cauldon Bristol. In 1971 Cauldon Bristol was purchased by A.G.Richardson & Son Co.Ltd a Stoke-on-Trent company.
It was given a new name Crown Ducal. The Cornish factory closed in 1977 - the company is now based in Ferrybridge and has been part of the Perks Ceramics Group for many years.
I would need more information i.e. pottery marks to age this item because all company records were lost but i do have a book with some of the many products made by the company.

thank you for your quick reply. now, you can call me thick if you like but - what sort of marks am I looking for? Apart from the blue writing as detailed in the first email, there is nothing else on the back apart from two indentations, one of which may be the letter T - the other I can tell what it is.

Any help if I send you a photo of it?

regards
Elaine

If you could send me a couple of images front and back it might help.?

email: bristolhistory@blueyonder.co.uk

regards Paul

From the marks on the back i can tell you that these marks were used between 1922 - 1948. Your design was by Phyliss Creed and is a underglaze transfer print of a design named the "Mallard". Some very upmarket stores sold this design one being Heals of Tottenham Court Road London. Other designs in the range were the "Willow Pattern" and the "Thames Scenes". At a guess i would date your design to the 1930s. Bristol Pottery was as good as anything designed and made in Stoke-on-Trent and was one of the oldest potteries in the UK - delftware was made as early as the 1600s in St Annes Bristol. I hope this helps? if i get any more information i will post it to the forum.

wow - thanks Paul - I think that I'd better stop using it to put the Sunday roast on!

Thank you for all the information and help you have given.

regards

Elaine

Re: Re: Pountney and Co

I have a small bue and black vase with flowers and birds on,on the bottom it is marked and has the number3524 bristol pountney and co ltd.Can you tell me anything about it.
Thank you
Meg
us4x