| Home | Chords | Discography | Gallery | Guestbook | Liner Notes | Links | Lyrics | Savers | Skins | Thoughts | Wallpaper |

Forum

Feel free to use this forum for questions and comments relating to the rock band Kansas. PLEASE do not use this forum to promote your agenda or for issues and discussions not relating to the the rock band Kansas.

Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kansas at Gulfstream Park, Hallandale, FL

Kansas - Gulfstream Park, Hallandale, FL. 03/30/02

What agreat show. What we got on this afternoon was about 80 minutes of classic, progressive rock, played with renewed vigor. Compared to the show I saw two years ago, this Kansas played their classics with passion. From the opening song, to the two encores, Kansas was relentless.

They kicked off the show with Belexes (Kansas 1974), which was refreshing, since normally they open with “Song For America.” Thankfully, SFA would not be played on this afternoon. Great song, but it’s been played to death (imo). Segued into Belexes was an excerpt from Lightning’s Hand (Point of Know Return 1977), then back to Belexes. Next up, Miracles Out Of Nowhere (Leftoverture 1976). By now I’m thinking, these guys are just starting to pick up steam. The next five songs made it all worth standing, baking, and toasting (and getting toasted) in the hot, South Florida sun

When I heard the piano intro to Icarus II from their recent CD “Somewhere To Elsewhere (2000)” I thought I was dreaming. During the “bombs away” portion, Steve Walsh did his ….. here they come…..then Richard Williams comes in with that meatwall (on his Paul Reed Smith), that just blew us (me and the two prog-nerds I was with ) away! Icarus: Born On Wings Of Steel (Masque 1975) followed. Another pleasant surprise. Then we were treated to another great tune off of “Somewhere….” Distant Vision.

Robbie Steinhardt (violin) introduces the next song, Journey From Mariabronn (Kansas 1974). At this point, I’m telling people around me to cherish this moment, for we know not when we will have a treat like this again. If the show would have ended here, I would have been satisfied, but no, the show would go on. Child Of Innocence (Masque) and Point Of Know Return followed. Then, as if all the great classics we heard were not enough, they play…… Portrait (He Knew) from POKR and an excerpt of The Pinnacle (Masque). Somebody pinch me, I’m dreaming.

The show started winding down with the two radio hits from the 80s, Fight Fire With Fire (Drastic Measures 1983) and Play The Game (Vinyl Confessions 1982), both very good songs. The encores were the eternal hits, Dust In The Wind and Carry On Wayward Son. By now I’m making my way to the merchandise stand. Cost of cool Kansas T, 20 dollars. A nice momento from a truly unforgettable afternoon of GREAT classic rock.

Thank you Kansas. You are a CLASS ACT!!!!