Forum for the fans of Karita Mattila

Welcome to the Message Forum! You can write here messages, questions, comments etc. on Karita Mattila. I will try to find answers as soon as possible.

Forum for the fans of Karita Mattila
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Karita Mattila, March 10, 2016 at Alice Tully Hall

Mattila is a force of nature. In the almost packed Alice Tully Hall, she got a rousing ovation as she walked onto the stage. She was quite moved, and she joyfully said, "New York, I've missed you!"
In the Brahms Zigeunerlieder, her voice sounded more mezzo-soprano than soprano. But she is, after all, a dramatic soprano. The voice was sometime swallowy; but not all the time. Her high notes were glorious. Her voice filled the hall. She's a superb musician and a compelling actress. The combination of all three made her rendition of Wagner's Wesendonck Lieder the best I've ever heard. Welcome back, Karita; I've missed you too!! (Another thought: She showed us all that being courageous on-stage and in performance is a very good thing!) And Martin Katz, a good 12 inches shorter than she, was along for the ride as a superb accompanist.

Re: Karita Mattila, March 10, 2016 at Alice Tully Hall

Hi,

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing your comments and feelings. Wish I had been there too....

Regards,

Jarkko

Re: Alice Tully Hall concert March 10, 2016.

The NYT reviewer was disgusting, cruel. Karita gave a fabulous performance, open and sharing, as well as beautiful. Only a small mind like his would think otherwise. I don't know what his problem is, but the NYT should give him the hook.

Yes, there are always those who can never be pleased. Karita has had similar reviews and reviewers in Finland.