Enlighten Me Free

Welcome.

Housekeeping: As is posted on the EMF Message Board page, this forum is for support, sharing opinions and experiences for those who have left RSE and have doubts and concerns about their tenure there. It is NOT a place for proselytizing for RSE, JZK Inc or Ramtha.  Play nicely or your post will be sent to cyberspace time-out for all eternity. The disclaimer for EMF is located on this page http://enlightenmefree.com/disclaimer.html and all posters agree to the terms of the disclaimer. Be sure you've read it before posting.

You may also want to visit a complementary forum at FACTNet http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/3/779.html

If you wish to use a Spell Checker, you may wish to use this free one: http://www.jacuba.com/

Want to contact the EMF moderators? Email messageboard@enlightenmefree.com

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: psychology of religious genius

Tree,
Studies that prove 'power of prayer' or its effects are plentiful but dubious, imo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html
"The problem with studying religion scientifically is that you do violence to the phenomenon by reducing it to basic elements that can be quantified, and that makes for bad science and bad religion," said Dr. Richard Sloan, a professor of behavioral medicine at Columbia and author of a forthcoming book, "Blind Faith: The Unholy Alliance of Religion and Medicine."

http://www.amazon.com/Altered-States-Consciousness-Mental-Health/dp/0803932774
looks like a good book to pursue this question.

maybe Paul Martin of Wellspring knows...I'll check and get back.

joe sz

Joe sz Sorry, I should qualify. I do morning and evening prayers, chant, and study.I do not proselytize as I view one's religion as a private matter.I am not very active in the organization because I'm not an organization type of person. I do keep up to date on their activities though.
I study the Hermetics of Franz Bardon and sometimes I'll look at Rosicrucian publications. I sometimes find that Buddhism and the concepts put forth by Bardon are quite similar. I began my study of the so called western occult tradition while doing research for roles I was singing on the operatic stage....witches, gypsies, mediums etc.
It became a hobby of sorts.

in ref to the TM study Joe listed:

CIVIL SUIT: Kropinski, Robert. United States District Court for the District of Columbia. Civil Suit #85-2848. 1986

In his civil suit against the TM Organization, Kropinski reported incidents of alleged psychosis, suicides, and the drugging of course participants. The court document "Answers to Defendants' Interrogatories --John Doe I" contained this list of TM victims. A Washington, D.C. jury awarded Robert Kropinski, 39, $137,890 to pay for his psychiatric treatment. Kropinski was an 11-year member who was part of Maharishi's personal entourage.

According to the January 14 (1987) Philadelphia Inquirer, the jury in the precedent-setting case found that the TM movement "defrauded him with false promises of mental bliss and neglected to warn him about the possibility of adverse side effects." Leon Otis, a staff scientist at the Stanford Research Institute, testified that after surveying hundreds of meditators he concluded that "TM may be hazardous to the mental health of a sizable proportion of the people who take up TM." And Gary Glass, senior attending psychiatrist at the Philadelphia Psychiatric Center, testified that Kropinski's 11 years in TM triggered a "pathological state" that left him disoriented and depressed.

Something seems a bit wrong with that picture. Yogis have been doing transcendental meditations for thousands of years without psychosis or I would certainly venture to think that no more than you would expect on the average within the population.
I've been meditating for over twenty years without any such symptoms and know several people who have been doing it for over 40 years - again, with no adverse affects.
I wonder what kind of studies or references they had to win such a suit. It would make an interesting read.

Bhodi,

"Something seems a bit wrong with that picture. Yogis have been doing transcendental meditations for thousands of years without psychosis or I would certainly venture to think that no more than you would expect on the average within the population."

I was wondering if you could elaborate on why you find something wrong with that picture?

I think it sounds veery realistic and I too would want to know the proportional #s though I would think they would be hard to get.

If one looks at it in much of the same way as other behaviors (meditating) then it might become more plausable. Not to say if meditation is good or bad much in the same way one might say eatitng was good or bad. Quantity, quality, enviornment, bio-mechanics, genetics, worldview for a few are what are some of the external factors in making determinations.

If one ate fast food (think the film supersize me) everyday they would effect their health more then someone who was eating, organic, fresh, ultimately balanced diet. However, the person on the organic diet could also overeat, and develop health problems as a result.

we all know people who eat like a horse and never put on a pund because of their particular metabolism.

I think it to be know different with the varying types of meditations. In fact, perhaps some people might even display an "allergic" reactions to different types of meditation.

As far as yogis being immune to psychosis, I was under the impression that many display extreme behaviors that in our society might be called a psychosis of sorts. I think there was a specific name for them in Hindu. Perhaps joe or someone else more versed in that culture could shed some light on it.

And yes, perhaps in their culture they allow these persons to roam the streets instead of putting them in institutions. So the amount in the populations might be comparable.

I typed a long reply and then got hit with that AOL IP address thing saying I was blocked, so I give up! Gotta go and take the meat off 5 lbs of chicken wings I used to make stock, before I get ready for my PM meditation.

Try eating your chicken wings during you PM meditation.

Let me know what you find........other than a bone in your throat.

Bodhi,

You're not "blocked" by EMF - as is obvious by your current post complaining about being blocked.

Sometimes, for some reason, this has been a problem for posters who have AOL. It has happened before and is probably going to happen again.

It can be helpful, if you want to try writing a more lengthy post, to do it in Word first. That way, if it doesn't go through the first time, you will have a copy to resubmit a second time, hopefully with better luck ! Sorry that happened - frustrating !

JTR writes:
""As far as yogis being immune to psychosis, I was under the impression that many display extreme behaviors that in our society might be called a psychosis of sorts. I think there was a specific name for them in Hindu. Perhaps joe or someone else more versed in that culture could shed some light on it.

And yes, perhaps in their culture they allow these persons to roam the streets instead of putting them in institutions. So the amount in the populations might be comparable.""

I'm not being facetious - do you mean Hindi, the language (India has a lot of languages!) Or are you talking about Hinduism the religion? My husband, when hearing and witnessing these occurrences here in western culture, tells me he'd seen the same types of behavior in India growing up (speaking in tongues, trances, etc.) As far as institutionalizing the mentally ill over there, it's difficult to even implement the mandate that all children must attend school among the villagers who WILL send their kids out to beg for money. Should they send their children to school, they are given a stipend and three meals a day! My take was the mentally ill will resort to begging, which is illegal, but to enforce it is difficult, and in all honesty, small, emaciated children coming to me and telling me they were hungry - we would indeed by food for them, and I know I will again. I have not heard of institutions for those who are mentally ill. Basically, family takes care of family in India, or hires someone to come into their home to care for the individual IF they have the funds. Villagers, due to ignorance, might view it as superstition and abandon such mentaly ill family members, sadly. Another thing, too as I mentioned in another thread - anyone can become a "guru" or open an "ashram" in India. I've never stayed in one - I have family there and I prefer to stay where there are "western" toilet facilities and chlorinated water and interact with my eastern-culture half. But I have been to to the very locales, and areas - which were spoken of at RSE - northern India/Nepal/Pakistan and more. It's common knowledge "gurus" are not always so. The Sadhu's - female ones - I've personally met and spent precious time with them. They walk barefoot throughout the country, they do not "proselytize," and the ones I met were obviously deeply sincere with their journey, and not out for a "free meal" (one thing many "gurus" etc. are given from the community are their meals) Some just use it as a "cop-out" from real life, and then set up their ashram, and people from the west assume these are the "real deal" and stay at the ashrams in order to be "enlightened." So many are being JZ'd (although not quite that bad). I have an older very sweet female friend over there whose husband decided to do engage in just that. She lives upstairs, and he lives downstairs since he "decided" to renounce everything and "become a guru." She visits the US and enjoys HER life. Over there, the husband is a "cop-out" from society-relieved of his responsibilities since he's now a "self-proclaimed guru" and is offered advantages within society due to this.

Okay, again I've written much more than I expected to. I'll get back to you with whatever the "Hindi" term is for those "gurus" who have the psychotic-type incidences. I've heard my husband use the term hysteria....but I'm sure there are many other terms.

I was going to take a break from posting but I got called into work tonight [again] and have my first break after 4 hours of.....well, let's just say it's busy at the nuthouse....

Siddhis is the Sanskrit/hindi term for extraordinary "success or achievement" in yoga, etc.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, Ramsters, the siddhis are also traps or diversions that should NOT be focussed on. In Western psychology we identify them as delusions and psychosis. In Hinduism, esp the yoga schools, these altered states are "realities" and not necessarily mental illnesses as we see them. You have to be very careful with language when discussing yoga and siddhis within the system as opposed to outside of it.

I spent some time in India in 1981. I've worked here with many Indian Psychiatrists over the years and have had long discussions about mental health in the "homeland." It is true that many so-called gurus [think among millions] are character disordered and nutcases, but the culture may define them differently and tolerate differently.

Here's a good synopsis from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddhi

"Nine main Siddhis
Parkaya Pravesha: Parkaya Pravesh means one’s soul entering into the body of some other person. Through this knowledge even a dead body can be brought to life.
Haadi Vidya: This Vidya or knowledge has been mentioned in several ancient texts. On acquiring this Vidya, a person feels neither hunger nor thirst, and can remain without eating food or drinking water for several days at a stretch.
Kaadi Vidya: Just as one does not feel hungry or thirsty in Haadi Vidya, similarly in Kaadi Vidya a person is not affected by change of seasons, i.e. by summer, winter, rain, etc. After accomplishing this Vidya, a person shall not feel cold even if he sits in the snow-laden mountains, and shall not feel hot even if he sits in the fire.
Vayu Gaman Siddhi: Through this Siddhi a person can become capable of flying in the skies and traveling from one place to another in just a few seconds.
Madalasa Vidya: On accomplishing this Vidya, a person becomes capable of increasing or decreasing the size of his body according to his wish. Lord Hanuman had miniaturized his body through this Vidya while entering the city of Lanka.
Kanakdhara Siddhi: One can acquire immense and unlimited wealth through this Siddhi.
Prakya Sadhana: Through this Sadhana a Yogi can direct his disciple to take birth from the womb of a woman who is childless or cannot bear children.
Surya Vigyan: This solar science is one of the most significant sciences of ancient India. This science has been known only to the Indian Yogis; using it, one substance can be transformed into another through the medium of sun rays.
Mrit Sanjeevani Vidya: This Vidya was created by Guru Shukracharya. Through it, even a dead person can be brought back to life.

[edit] Eight Primary Siddhis

[edit] Mahabharata Version

Ganesha with the Ashta (8) Siddhis. The Ashtasiddhi are shown as attendants of Ganesha. Painting by Raja Ravi Varma (1848-1906)There is the concept of the Ashta Siddhi (eight siddhis) in Hinduism. These are:

Aṇimā: reducing one's body even to the size of an atom
Mahimā: expanding one's body to an infinitely large size
Garima: becoming infinitely heavy
Laghimā: becoming almost weightless
Prāpti: having unrestricted access to all places
Prākāmya: realizing whatever one desires
Iṣṭva: possessing absolute lordship;
Vaśtva: the power to subjugate all.
In Hinduism, Hanuman possesses the ability to bestow the eight siddhis and the nava nidhi (nine types of wealth).

[edit] Ten Secondary Siddhis
In the Srimad Bhagavatam Lord Krishna describes the Ten Secondary Siddhis as:

anūrmi-mattvam: Being undisturbed by hunger, thirst, and other bodily disturbances
dūra-śravaṇa: Hearing things far away
dūra-darśanam: Seeing things far away
manaḥ-javah: Moving the body wherever thought goes (teleportation)
kāma-rūpam: Assuming any form desired
para-kāya praveśanam: Entering the bodies of others
sva-chanda mṛtyuh: Dying when one desires
devānām saha krīḍā anudarśanam: Witnessing and participating in the pastimes of the Apsaras
yathā sańkalpa saḿsiddhiḥ: Perfect accomplishment of one's determination
ājñā apratihatā gatiḥ: Orders or Commands being unimpeded"

In the inner cult of TM the siddhis are taught as "good things" and you pay big bucks to get them.... TM is basically a religious business like RSE. TM is a hybrid of fundamentalist Hinduism and western New Ageism. TM does warn about demons and all that, don't get me wrong, but they do believe in literal demons and spirits.

I side with those Indian philosophers that see siddhis as potential traps. Buddha warned his disciples not to attend to "metaphysical" phenomena or miracles as they can be an impediment to liberation.

Here's another blurb from that wiki site I mentioned:

"Siddhi powers are said to be obtainable by meditation, control of the senses, devotion, herbs, mantras, pranayama, or good birth.

Lord Krishna states that:

"For a sage who has conquered his senses, breathing and mind, who is self-controlled and always absorbed in meditation on Me, what mystic perfection could possibly be difficult to achieve?"

Seeking siddhi powers is often discouraged and considered to be an impediment to spiritual advancement. J Krishnamurti warned about siddhis in the context of meditation, comparing seeking the siddhis of maya to desiring mere candles; instead seek the Sun of full Enlightenment and Liberation ~ Moksha.[citation needed]"

And recall what St Paul said in his famous letter 1 Corinthians 13
Charity is to be preferred before all gifts.

1 If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."

Although the language and concepts are dissimilar, there is much sympathy in sophisticated Indian philosophy with Paul's pov.

IMO, truly enlightened gurus warn about the siddhis.

Joe - It's a full moon tonight so it's no wonder you are busy. And back-to-back with the solstice. add a holiday or two... lots of minds working overtime!

thanks for research on siddhis, interesting. I agree, the use/abuse of such powers is often warned against, with the eventual loss of the power.

Further up the thread, the search for the word for one who is 'God intoxicated "madzoub" or "paagal", crazy with (divine) love ?

jai Hanuman! ( and Happy Holidays all. )

(no relation to Lord of Frogs)

FROG.
Many years ago I ran a study [simple stats] as to effect of full moon on admission activity over several years at this psych emergency hospital. I ran it
1. Because I have studied astrology in depth and know it is essentially mythical psychology that has no empirical basis and no predictive value whatsover.
2. Nearly all cops [police often drag people in here], nurses and some docs here beleive in the full moon effect and swear it increases admission activity.

Over a three year period I checked for admission activity the day of full moons, the day before and the day after. Astrologers claim full moon peaks in power all three days.

Go ahead, guess....

No difference statistically on any of those days compared to any other day over time for this hospital.

Full moon effect is about biased perception and expectation, not reality.

Tell that to my menstrual cycle, Joe!!!! Maybe it will listen.

G2G &joe,

thank you for your input and yes g2g I would be meaning Hindi.

Happy holidays!!!

Joe - I SO remember those "full moon nights" in ICU! Maybe we workerd were just the "crazy" ones! The work you do, the approaching holidays can have an impact, I'd think. Holidays can be very depressing for some, and I do so hope you can have your time off! (lost two days of our "vacation" already here) Murphy's law...lol.

And thank you so very much for the information on the Siddhis. I can't say my eastern family is immersed in their Hindu religion, but they are very much immersed in the philosophy of such. The rituals to them are just that. And to them, all of the 'gods' are just one and the same in various incarnations or in whichever form a person chooses to envision God - be it a rock, or Ganesh (with the elephant head - son of Shiva and Parvathi - Ganesh lost his own head and without going further into the mythology, his was replaced with that of an elephant.) The great epics were to inpsire people to become charitable, loving, live "good" lives, etc., but again, so many took the stories literally.

I do remember in India when we were visiting several temples there, I had a question I wished to ask the priests. My husband told me to not even bother because the priests there probably couldn't answer the question. The discussions among family, including my 90+ "pitajee," are much more fun and "illuminating" to me. (on Holi, after flooding me with the colored powders, the younger kids "flooded" me with seven buckets of water and a hose - "initiating" me for my first real Indian Holi! (spring festival). Neither they nor I realized the colors would permanently color my lighter hair. You HAVE to have a sense of humor!!! (of course, when I returned home, my driver's license was expiring and I had to have my picture taken and my hair on my driver's license is tinted pink!!)

Enjoy the holidays with your loved ones, and remember those who are no longer on this "plane" physically.
Blessings to all of you during this intimate and joyous time of year!

Lost,
I would not dare

I aware of the moon/menses cycle in most healthy human females, [I've lived with a few in my younger days of participant-observer research before one fine example of the species made me "go native" 23 years ago] but why not other animals except some species of great ape?

The moon supposedly effects all life on earth...

"Great apes' cycles vary in length from an average of 29 days in orangutans to an average of 37 days in chimpanzees."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cycle

Unnatural lights and odd work cycles effect some women but the research I saw is inconclusive.

"Some have suggested that the fact that other animals' menstrual cycles appear to be greatly different from lunar cycles is evidence that the average length of humans' cycle is most likely a coincidence."

My hunch is that the more advanced apes/humanoids developed a psychological relationship millions of years ago with moon phases through conscious observation, thus affecting somatic response. Perhaps it is a form of auto-suggestion that can be a very powerful force in human somatic response. For example, auto-suggestion can cause stigmata with real bleeding. Auto-suggestion [self-hynosis] can also reverse stigmata.

Okay...I admit I'm grasping here, but it is worth looking past the obvious and to me simplistic moon-effects-human belief.

I am not trying to win an argument here or change your mind...

joe - I worked evenings in ER for years, and would have to side with experience, a.k.a. cops, nurses & doctors - something happens. Perhaps it is qualitative vs quantiative - but the craziness was higher, often testing everybody's patience. Maybe admissions did not increase, but the circus occurred: pregnant women rolling in, threatening delivery, 'regulars' cops brought in, psycho-somatics, those wanting medication.. not perceived.

But one question for ya: the moon changes the tides, often more than a few feet. Salt water. We are 95% +/- walking bags of salt water (plus a bit more mineral called bones). So why would we not be affected, some more than others, maybe some kind of brain pressure we don't know about?

My sister-in-law as a young nurse worked in a psychiatric hospital for a time and she said that during the full moon things gotta really bad.
I've never noticed any difference in my emotions during full moons, but I have found that my meditations are deeper during a full moon.

Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating this day!

Namaste!

In the restaurant industry, also, they are convinced that patrons become more difficult, incidents become more bizzarre and drunks become drunker at the full moon...
I read a "scientific research" book that correlates all kinds of things to the moon...they really did study this phenomenon in more depth than you have Joe, with a much larger sample of the population, and they conclude that there really is something in the lunar effect, which goes beyond autosuggestion or superstition. Unfortunately, the book is at my parents' place and I forget the title.
And simple common sense would indicate that the waxing and waning of the moon effected people's lives tremendously in the days before artificial light...of course people would be most active at the full moon, they could see!
As to woman's monthly cycles, I don't think I am mistaken in stating they are tied to the moon.
Also, I do believe that there are things which defy scientific, rational observation and explanation, in Shamanism, the Unknowable. (Thus dooming to failure attempts to "make known the unknown").
And, for every study you can study asserting things are one way, there is always a study demonstrating that they are the opposite way. Science, like, say, Wikkipedia, is the sum of collected knowledge, experience, and commonly held BELIEF, and every "experiment" is doomed to imprecision, since to experiment we must take certain things as "Given"...nothing is given, Joe. There is no absolute fact, only probability. We should all preface our remarks by the phrase "in my opinion", and bear in mind that there could be as many opinions on a subject as there are people.
Suggest we send the question about higher hospital, jail and psych ward admits at the time of the full moon to the TV show "URBAN MYTHS" and see what they come up with.

Now there's an idea!!!

I don't know if women's menses is directly related to the full moon, but I do wonder why the "average" cycle is 28 to 30 days. Also, I know when I walk my dog at night during a full moon, the beauty of it seems to "throw me off" a bit, as though I were "hypnotized" by the sight of the glorious full moon. I do know, since I worked the 12 hour night shifts, things at least appeared to be crazier than usual, busier than usual-perhaps three MI's and swan ganz catheters having to be reinserted, all sorts of crazy stuff. Who knows!

Merry Christmas!!!!

whew, Christmas is over, solstice and full moon are past, but
tonight is worse at the hospital than the past 3 days.

lost wrote:
"...nothing is given, Joe. There is no absolute fact, only probability. We should all preface our remarks by the phrase "in my opinion", and bear in mind that there could be as many opinions on a subject as there are people."

Your opinion, right? The above is an example of solipsistic ideation. With that position we could never do science, write law, establish moral codes, or even discipline our children. Marriage contracts would be moot. We could not have reached the moon and come back if mere opinion rules the human universe.

You can have that pseudo-absolute world. It is the classic world of the narcissist. I reject it. We can test [and have] certain things about moon phases--it is not mere opinion.

Perhaps you mistated your opinion?

The moon is always full from one perspective.

Moonlight is not the same as "the moon."

What are you testing? Moon force or moon light?
In either case no difference in mental hospital average activity in the long run.

Perhaps birthing centers have different averages, but "lunatics" do not care what phase the moon is in--If don't believe me....run the numbers yourself in another place or in a thousand places.

If you mean that moon LIGHT effects our behavior, then you may have some ground for argument, but I have seen no studies.

I feel the same energy from full moonlight as anyone---utterly beautiful whenever I camped out at 11,000 feet in the Sangre de Cristo Mts near Santa Fe--full moon periods were my favorite times to hike up there alone.

But the science would have to test "full moon effect" during overcast days and compare to see if it is the "light" having effect or the "force" [gravity, mass, movement]of the phase.

just some thoughts.

FROG PRINCE WROTE:
"But one question for ya: the moon changes the tides, often more than a few feet. Salt water. We are 95% +/- walking bags of salt water (plus a bit more mineral called bones). So why would we not be affected, some more than others, maybe some kind of brain pressure we don't know about?"

If you use that logic or pseudo-logic of moon magnetism/gravity affecting our behavior, thoughts, world events, you will have to consider all other objects around us that have greater force.

Yes, moon force causes tides both facing and facing away [opposing sides of earth] in our oceans because the relatively mild force is spread over vast distances and spaces. Our tiny bodies in comparison to oceans feel miniscule amounts of that moon force. For example, when a baby is born there is far more gravitational energy pulling or pushing from the midwife than the moon, or from the machines in the hospital or from the building. What about the large tree I was standing beneath while up on the mountain under the full moon? That tree had far more immediate effect physically than the moon. Do astrologers take those forces into account? No--too complex, too real.

more things to think about.

fyi:

This article is from the Scientific Skepticism FAQ, by Paul Johnson Paul@treetop.demon.co.uk with numerous contributions by others.

7.4.1: Could astrology work by gravity?
Some people argue that we are affected by the gravity of the planets
(just as tides are caused by the gravity of the Moon and Sun), and
that this is the connection between the motion of the planets and
mundane events on Earth.

Leaving aside the fact that astrology doesn't work (see above),
gravity is simply too weak to do this. Gravitational force on a mass
(such as a human being) decreases with the square of the distance to
the other mass. But the Earth is affected just as strongly by the
other mass, and accelerates slightly towards it. So the net effect on
us is nil. What is important is the difference in gravity between the
two sides of the mass. This decreases with the *third* power of the
distance (i.e. very fast) but increases with the distance between the
near and far sides. Hence the Moon and Sun cause tides because the
Earth is very large. But the difference in gravity between one end of
a human and the other is absolutely minuscule.

Also, if this were the mechanism behind astrology then the most
significant thing in astrology would be the position of the Moon, with
the time of day coming second (as it is for tides). The position of
the planets would be completely irrelevant because they are so much
further away than the Moon and so much smaller than the Sun."

I am not a narcissist, Joe. Nor is my view of scientific experimentation unique to me.
And, belief in the lunar effect is not the same as belief in astrology.
I could as well say, belief in psychology, which is the basis of your profession (and one of mine), or belief in God, is the same as giving credence to the existence of fairies.
You are more learned in what to call a type of thought, but your comments are an example of something I'm sure (lol).
I stand by my statement, that whatever theory we may propound, another may be equaly justified, and have as much evidence for, an opposite theory. And, it's all just theory. We could not parent our children or police our world if nothing is given, or have reached the moon if nothing is absolutely true? Can you back that up? COuld we not say, that all of those endeavours represent a study of probabilities? An educated guesstimate. But, just as people question a man writing about about "Secrets of the East" if he has never been to the East, we should realize (in my OPINION) that much of what we take to be true is not based on our experience, but instead, is based on what we are told, what we have read, or what we have seen on TV. Truly, to bellieve in nothing is madness.
But so is believing something without sufficient evidence, and criticising those who do not agree.
I am not narcissistic, Joe. I tend to take more interest in, and spend more time focussing on, others.

Google an intersting experiment:
On Being Sane in Insane Places...and tell me that this study is less valid than those which support the findings of modern psychology, and current treatment and diagnostic methodology.
As for "Astrology"...perhaps it would be more palatable to you, if it represented a study of the effects of the weather (which the moon does have some control over)at the time of birth on people in countries that have seasons. I believe that there is something in the time of year you were born, which may, through differences in early childhood experience,effect your temperament. (in my opinion)
And you might as well tell me, that the Sun, or Earth's position in the solar system, or the solar system's position in the galaxy, has absolutely no effect whatsoever on us.
I take the "lunar effect" theory to mean what it says. That the cycles of the moon have some effect on our behaviour. And the fact that there is more light at the time of the full moon would therefore be relevant to the argument, if my parameters of same were to be observed. And why are my parameters less worthy than yours, Joe? Tell me, pray.

"The prophet is a dangerous person due the apparent power and immense influence he or she wields. Ancient tribes, including the Hebrews stoned or killed "false prophets" for this reason."

I like your points, L.I.S. It's interesting to see a psychologist go off occassionally, esp. when tired...!

To swing back to the initation of this thread, 'religious genius' & prophets in ancient times, 'Wise Men' aka prophets kept counsel to Kings - these were astronomer-astrologers, understanding the high degree of math/calculations behind the movement of the stars. This is how astrology was born and fostered - it was an advanced science at that time. Used, because it was all they had, and somehow, something about it worked.

PBS has a show on regarding the birth of Christ and the Three Wise Men - again, thought to be Babylonian astronomers, who knew in advance that a great being was about to be born. Their preparations to Bethlehem were made months in advance of their journey. They may have also known potent delineations of latitude/longitude.

The show was interesting in how it showed that Dec 25 may not have been the actual date, with year also in question.

Although not on the show, the visitation by the Wise Men, may have designated Christ as 'the one' but also saved him from the infanticide, due to their knowledge. Who knows? Without them, there may not have been a Christ, at all, and by default, Catholic Church. Now isn't that something to ponder???

Anyway, just some continuing thoughts.

True,Frog Prince...but I thought they were Zoroastrian priests, those three wise men, "Magi".
And what about the brilliant star in the heavens, directly over the humble manger birthplace?
Or reported sightings of angels by shepperds in the fields?
All sorts of miraculous events.
But it seems fairly certain that Christ's birthday was not December 25th. Early Christians, in trying to sell Christianity to the Pagans, arranged for all key events to coincide with existing pagan festivals - Christmas is "Yule", the Winter Soltice.
In one of the Gospels (will have to look up which one) it states that Christ was born "under the sign of the fish"...that would be Pisces, and even allowing for precesion and calendrical differences, that would put his actual birthday in February or March.
Happy yuletide and twelfth night time, Frog Prince.

Impish mischevious question...
were 'angels' sighted, actually Orbs????
See new book by Master ML.

"I am not narcissistic, Joe. I tend to take more interest in, and spend more time focussing on, others"

Lost,
No reason to get defensive. I am referring to "that world" you describe. How you function in it or whether you identify with it, I have no clue. However, when you say "I am not narcissistic" you might be only person on the planet who is not!

We all function through narcissistic traits. These traits become disorders [Axis 2 in shrinkology] when they dominate our character at the exclusion of a more Protean or flexible self that acts appropriately in diverse situations. Iow, a health person knows when to sacrifice their narcissism and when not to. JZ is one example who has it all backwards and upside down. She has the "disorder", imo.

RSE and similar groups tap a recruit's narcissism and then inflate it.

PS:
re: "RSE and similar groups tap a recruit's narcissism and then inflate it."
may be too simplistic.

Sometimes this is the case, but more often the culting process works like this:

Ego inflation increases narcissim because you as truth seeker with incredible karma in this lifetime found the "best" spiritual thing and guru on the planet. The lead narcissist-guru then taps that new ego and continually drains it creating a dependency on the guru's narcissism.

For example, RSE students will defend JZ in the most bizarre ways to protect this co-dependency: "I am great because JZ/Ramtha is great and I believe in her/him."

frog prince:
We have no idea how many magi there were. Matthew's Gospel [ch 2] does not specify, only gives us 3 types of gift. Magi can be astologers, wise men, or philosophers but certainly no indication that they were "we three Kings of Orient are". My Catholic pastor teaches [all priests know this from seminary]the same thing. He also mentions that Dec 25 is a Christian convention [not merely an invention] from the 3rd century that reflects popular folk religion about the 'festival of lights'.

To properly interpret this 'convention,' the Gospel [good news] reveals that Christ was born and died to defeat the "deepest darkness" or death symbolized by the shortest day of the year. That is what Christians celebrate, the mystery of Christ born, Christ dying, Christ resurrected and in doing so defeated sin and death showing us the "way",
not that Px was born on Dec 25.

Of course, that is if you believe that he was born at all

Most scholars interpret Luke's story of the shepherds to indicate the birth of Christ was probably in spring or summer.

When criticizing any faith be careful not to create a straw man argument in your mind by "fundamentalizing" the religion, then trying to tear it down. I made this mistake over thirty years ago by overly simplifying "Hinduism." Hindu scholarship knocked me on my a##.

Joe - I didn't think I was criticizing the faith of Christianity, or building a straw man to burn. It would seem that the magi were very learned men - priests or higher in Babylonia. What I was suggesting was that Christianity may not have come about if astronomy-astrology of the time had not been synergistically involved. So, point being is that what you were putting down as myth (moon influences, astrology, et al) may have been instrumental in bringing about that which you do believe in, Catholicism. No value judgment. That the Z. priests were respected by Kings, brought gold that allowed the holy family to leave, escape the fate of Jesus' death as part of the infanticide.. it is an interesting possibility. Acknowledgment of Christ's birth & 'birth star' if you will (important in Vedic astrology btw) by existing religious authority of the time recognized the emergence of Christianity.

So, Theoretically - New Age beliefs (which we don't believe in, mostly ) COULD lead to a time of spiritual belief structure that we DO believe in.

Out of what we don't hold to be true, comes something we hold as Truth. I find that something to contemplate, for at least a few days. It gives tolerance a better chance.

The Culture of Narcisism was a pretty good book (by, I think, Irving Lashman)...
Axis whatever...I still would like you to look at the study I mentioned, Joe, which does call into question DSM itself, and modern treatment methods, and, in fact, the whole "Medical Model" of Psychotherapy (which I did study). Not proving so very helpful to those we wish to help. And one study is as valid or invalid as another. That was my point.
As to "New Age" thought...I don't think I can be classified as a "New Ager"...more of an Ancient Ager.
I am a big fan of what Frog Prince mentioned...tolerance.
But you can't rewrite History, and call something other than it was, or, you can if you want, but I won't buy it (and yes, I know what Christians celebrate at Christmas and to Christians the actual placement of the day is not so important now); and what the decision by Church FATHERS (they had dispensed with the concept of women's calling to the ministry) way back when with respect to the placement of many Holy days was, was a SALES JOB. NOthing personal, Joe.
I love Christmas/Yule...including all its Pagan trappings...mistletoe, holy, Carols, Christmas trees and so on. What I am driving at is that it could be seen as an example of tolerance and accomodation by the early Christians. In contrast to the slaughter of the Druids, the Cathars, the "witches" who were simply naturopathic healers, and at times, the Jews and the Moslems of old, or the Catholics by the Protestants, or the Protestants by the Catholics.
I would never argue with anybody about the Divinity of Christ. It is only the Church I have a quarrel with - not a particularly bitter quarrel, at that. And, well meaning as many Church institutions are, I don't think they have now, or ever had, got it right. Sorry. That is my own opinion...not trying to foist it on yah!
Also in my opinion, JZ/RAMTHA is not DIVINE. And none of the students so far have stuck me as a Christ. But I like to hope that any of us, including them, could learn to behave as one.

frog prince.
When I wrote
"When criticizing any faith be careful not to create a straw man argument in your mind by "fundamentalizing" the religion, then trying to tear it down. I made this mistake over thirty years ago by overly simplifying "Hinduism." Hindu scholarship knocked me on my a##." I mean it as a general, to all statement---not meaning to pcik on you---sorry for the confusion.

Basically, I agree with you. I've indicated this before, but as an "artist" I view all religious myth and ritual [including my Catholic ones] as essentially an aesthetic impulse acting through a deep human need to make sense of an incredible and seemingly improbable mystery that envelopes us. It helps however to not merely speculate about what another religion of cult teaches but understand it in context.

I believe it was Robert Frost who penned this prayer:

"Lord, if you will forgive all the little jokes I have played on Thee, I will forgive the great big one You have played on me."

Lost in space,

"Sales job"? Interesting choice of words. Think back if we can to that time when say the Magyars [my people] as a group converted to Christinaity under their pagan King [later Saint] Steven in the 10th century. many [not all] folk rituals and beliefs came on board then that the church absorbed and reconciled. It could also be an accomodation--the "sales job" is always about that Jewish rabbi that was crucified and allegedly resurrected and ascended. The "church" after all is nothing more than the people as the "body of christ" aligned with the Gospel. The rest is habitat and decoration.

But thanks for bringing this back to point.
"Also in my opinion, JZ/RAMTHA is not DIVINE. And none of the students so far have stuck me as a Christ. But I like to hope that any of us, including them, could learn to behave as one."

Divinity is devalued by cults that redefine that term to fit their needs. RSE and JZ do fail utterly in the claim to divinize human beings, but they have clumsily succeeded in reducing the divine to a crass human state.

So, as far as religious genius goes, it helps to have some standard for evaluation, not merely "my opinion."

My career and hobby since leaving Prophet's cult has been an attempt to establish that standard. If there were no reliable value system for human behavior in groups or for evaluating "prophets", then EMF is just another answer blowing in the winds equal in value to ramtha's bad breath.

I was taught that Saint Steven was a great and wise man...was not thinking about Saint Steven at all...he didn't participate in the selective pruning of what we currently call the Bible...nor have I heard he was oppressive to those who did not share his beliefs.
And my comments on early Christianity should not be taken as a blanket ****ation of modern Christians of any stripe.
Actually, interesting that I had heard of Saint Steven, the Protestant Church in which I was raised had no Saints.
Because I wanted to understand about Saints, I went on "Beliefnet" and for a while, was e-mailed "Saint of the Day" and "Angel of the Day"...I recommend this as a means of understanding Catholicism (if not adopting it) for people who know little about it.
My purpose is to understand all faiths (including RSE, a business, yes, but also I think it could be defined as a faith)because with understanding comes Peace, whereas, ignorance can lead to fear, hatred, or crime.

As an amusing 'nonsequiteur', when I went to see the movie "The DaVinci Code", just at the point where the highly controversial theory about Mary Magdalene was expounded, the projector broke down...there was tense silence for a couple of minutes...then, a guy sitting a few seats over from me said "It's the Christians!!". Everybody in that whole theatre laughed, Moslems, Jews, Atheists, Wiccans, Buddhists, Daoists, Hindus,and yes, Christians.