Return to Website

ACE Community Forum

Alliance For A Clean Environment offers this forum, open to the public, as an opportunity to discuss concerns, issues, questions, advice, opinions and comments relating to environmental issues.

Speak out about the negative effect pollution has had on you and those closest to you.

Express your thoughts to those who are making the decisions to allow the pollution into your air, water and soil without any regard for your health and safety.

Offer feedback regarding the ACE website, suggestions for improving it, problems you've encountered, technical or other errors. Your comments are appreciated.

ACE Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cancer Cluster

What defines a cancer cluster? I grew up in the Mayfair section of Philadelphia where we lived in neighborhoods the consisted of 60 homes, 30 on each side divided by the street. In the past decade there have been 1-2 women per year diagnosed with some type of cancer on the same side of the block. Off the top of my head, I can count 11 cases 7 of which are next to one another then spaced out every other house. I wrote a letter to Christie Whitman when she was the head of the EPA, but she must have been to busy to read it and respond back.
If there is anyone that can define it, please do... My Mother was one of the cases..
Bill

Re: Cancer Cluster

Bill,

Cancer cluster is a term that those who wish to hide the truth seem to avoid or manipulate to their own agenda.

That is the very reason we have called the streets riddled with cancer here in our community patterns of cancers.

When you get into that cluster conversation, you lose. They will always find some way to deny clustering, regardless of what we see with our own eyes.

Waste Management paid for a cancer "expert" to say there were no cancer clusters here. In July, we wrote to her asking her to define cancer cluster and asked her to tell us if she ever determined a cancer cluster was anywhere and if so where. NO RESPONSE!!!!

I suggest that you write to the PA Health Department and ask them what they call a cancer cluster and if they ever determined that one exists and if so where. Get your answer and writing. If you get an answer please send us their reponse. We are going to do that shortly too.

Donna Cuthbert

Re: Cancer Cluster

Having a hard time finding information also. Dothan, Alabama is called a hot spot. Too many people I know are ending up with cancer too young.A famous Cancer Center in Texas told me too many of his patients come from this area. Does anyone know of any research ever done on this ? We have nuclear plant, pestisides etc...

Re: Re: Cancer Cluster

I would suggest you do what ACE has done. Design a health symptom survey based on the kinds of health effects your research has told you could come from the pesticides and radiation. Take it door to door on door in bags with handles. Then get a map to chart the cancers and other illnesses when you get your surveys back.

Donna Cuthbert