~ BIGGLESWADE ATHLETIC CLUB FORUM ~

As this message board can be viewed by anyone, anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

Forum: ~ BIGGLESWADE ATHLETIC CLUB FORUM ~
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Sandy Athletic Track Resurface Diary

On Wednesday 22 February, I confirmed at the club AGM and via email that the track resurface would be commencing on the week commencing 27 February and the completion date is week commencing 15 May. Although the completion date is subject to weather conditions. As well as confirming that I will be attending regular progress meeting until the track resurface is complete and providing you with updates on this forum and the club Facebook page.

I have set up this forum thread in order to provide regular updates to you over the next couple of months whilst the track resurface is being completed.

If you do have any questions on any of the updates that I post, please do not hesitate to contact me in person or via email – chairman@biggleswadeac.org.uk

Re: Sandy Athletic Track Resurface Diary

Day 1 – 27 February 2017

Today as agreed the contractor for the track resurface has arrived on site and have been busy already.

You will now see construction traffic and safety signs as you get close to and at the school. A temporary fence has been put up in the back / Astro Turf car park closest, in order for them to access the site, as well as some boarding between this car park and the track, for the contractor to access the track, to protect the ground.

A temporary fence has stated to be erected around the track, two containers, a excavator and dumper are now on site. As well as the inside metal rail on the track has been removed.

Thank you to Peter, Ken and Nigel on Saturday, for helping me move the hurdles, moving the two shelters and packing away the metal stacks and cones around the track, in order for the contractors to commence work.

Day 2 – 28 February 2017

It turns out that the excavator broke down yesterday, so a mechanic was out today to fix this, however the contractors have continued their work on the track.

The long jump run up has started to be pulled up, work has started on the hammer/discs and shot put jump areas. A section of the fence has been taken down at the end of the home straight, in order to drive onto the track and the temporary fence has continued to be up around the track today, as works continues on the track.

I have added a few photos from today onto the club Facebook page.

Day 4 – 02 March 2017

The first inspection of the work has been completed by Central Beds Council and all is on track, pardon the pun!

The track surfaces on the long jump run up and around the hammer/discs cage. The inner hammer/disc circle has not been completely dug out and the shot put throwing area has now been marked out, in order for this to be dug out.

The steeplechase water jump has been filled up with water today to test if there are any leaks in the wall of the jump, so that these can be repaired, before the whole water jump is resealed.

Work has also started on the tarmac path on the outside of the track.
I have added a few more photos from today onto the club Facebook page.

Day 6 – 04 March 2017

The shot put circle has now been completely dug out and 4 sections of the tarmac path on the outside of the track have now been dug up. No further sections of the path are due to be dug up.

A big thank you to the few that came down this morning to help move the Pole Vault and High Jump beds – who knew sponges could be so heavy!!

I have added more photos from today onto the club Facebook page.

Day 8 – 08 March 2017

The steeplechase water jump passed its initial inspection last week for any leaks.

The grass on the inside of the track has started to be cleared away from the track, as well as the grass on the outside edge of the tarmac path that runs around the outside of the track. A pressure washer has started to be used on the tarmac path as well.

The long jump pit has now been empted of sand and is ready for inspection.
The shot putt throwing area has now been dug out and the boarding is started to be around the outside edge of the throwing area.

I have added a couple more photos from today onto the club Facebook page.

So is the track ok to use yet Damien???

:-) Ha Ha Ha!!

Neilh

Day 10 – 10 March 2017

All of the soil from the shot putt throwing area has now been removed and the base layer has now been installed.

Work has also continued on the clearing of the concrete curbing on the inside of the track with a pressure washer and the grass on the outside edge of the tarmac path that runs around the outside of the track continues to be cleared away.

I have added a couple more photos from today onto the club Facebook page.

Day 13 – 15 March 2017

The base layer of the shot putt throwing area has been added to and the edging for the throwing area has now been put in place.

The tarmac path areas that were dug out, have now been resurfaced.

The long jump pit has been inspected and some of the edging needs to be replaced, this will be dug out shortly.

I have added a few photos onto the club Facebook page.

Day 15 – 17 March 2017

The new metal frame for the hammer throwing circle has now been concreted into place, just awaiting the circle to be filled next. The metal frame for the shot put throwing circle has been put in place and will be concerted in next.

The edging around the long jump pit has now been removed.

Work continues on the tarmac path round the outside of the track with the path being cleared of moss.

Day 18 – 22 March 2017

Today three quarters of the track resurface was removed, this is the red layer of the track that is being resurfaced. The only remaining part of this track surface is the first bend and high jump / pole vault area.

The first layer of cider has now been put down on the shot put throwing area and the outside edge of the shot put throwing circle has now been concreted.

Day 20 – 24 March 2017

The top surface of the track has now been removed and work has started on replacing the long jump pit.

Work has also continued on clearing the moss on the tarmac path round the outside of the track.

Day 23 – 29 March 2017

The Shot put throwing area, throwing circle and hammer circle are now finished and ready for inspection.

The long jump pit has now been replaced and started to be filled with sand. The outer edge of the long jump pit will be put in place soon.

The base layer of the track has now been cleaned and the tarmac path round the outside of the track has now been completely cleared of moss.

Day 25 – 31 March 2017

The long jump pit has now been completed and filled with sand. The outside of the pit has now been filled in with topsoil and grass seed has been sown.

I will be attending the first progress meeting on Tuesday, with the council, school and contractors. This meeting will include a site walk around, so will get some more close up photos of the hammer circle and shot put area.

I have added a photo from today onto the club Facebook page.

Day 27 – 04 April 2017

This morning I attended a progress meeting between the council, school and contractors. The works are on track and are still aiming for completion mid May, however the next phase of work is all weather dependant.

The contractors confirmed the below at the meeting:
• Hammer throwing circle is due to be inspected this afternoon and is expected to pass the UKA standard
• Shot put throwing area is now complete. Once the hammer throwing circle has passed the inspection, the top layer will be added to the shot put throwing circle, as these need to be to the same standard.
• The steeplechase water jump has been tested and cleaned.
• Long jump pit has been made deeper, more drainage added and the grass area around the pit has been levelled.
• The grass has been re-edged around the inside and outside of the track. The inside track curb and tarmac path round the outside of the track has now been fully pressure washed.
• The top track surface has been removed and the base layer is very good condition. There are no repairs needed for the base layer.

The track top surface materials have arrived on site and work commenced this morning on replacing the track area around the pole vault bed areas. Work will commence on the track top surface in the next couple of days, but this is dependent on weather conditions.

Once the new top track surface has been laid, this will then be sprayed red and line marking will commence.

I have added a few photos from a walk around the track today onto the club Facebook page.

Day 31 – 08 April 2017

No I haven’t got the date wrong for the update, as the contractors were at the track today (yes a Saturday) to make the most of the good weather.
The hammer circle passed its inspection on Tuesday afternoon and now the shot put throwing circle has been completed.

The top surface of the track has been laid in the hammer circle, inside track area by the Hammer cage / shot put and steeplechase jump, as well as the inside area (i.e. high jump and pole vault area). The contractors started work this morning on the main track top surface by the high jump area.

Day 33 – 11 April 2017

The contractors have been making the most of the good weather and have laid 95% of the black top surface of the track now. Around 50 metres is left on the home straight.

The next stage will be to add to a thin layer of red resin on top of the black surface and then painting will commence.

I have added a few photos from the track today onto the club Facebook page.

Day 37 – 19 April 2017

The black top surface of the track has now been laid by the contractors and they have now commenced work on the final layer of the track.

The thin layer of red resin has now been laid in the Pole Vault / High jump area, steeplechase area and 75% of the track. It is just the home straight / final 100 metres that is due to be laid now.

I have added a few photos from the track today onto the club Facebook page

Day 42 – 26 April 2017

The thin layer of red resin has now been laid on all of the track surface and the long jump run up.

With the tropical April weather of snow, hail and rain the last two days, work has not commenced on the line painting, as good weather is needed for this.

I have added a few photos from the track today onto the club Facebook page.

Day 47 – 04 May 2017

Earlier today, I attended a progress meeting between the council, school and contractors. Where the contractors confirmed what has and is due to happen on the track over the next couple of weeks.

The line painting on the track commenced yesterday and is due to take to the end of next week to complete (Friday 12 May). Although most of the white lines are in place, the next stage is to paint all of the hurdle, distance and relay markings around the track, as well the line marking for the long jump.

Week commencing 15 May, the civil works will commence, with putting the track rail in place, reinstalling the fence at the end of the home straight and tidying up the way that the contactors have accessed the track. Along with any items that appear on the snagging list.

The track will then have a full inspection and be certificated week commencing 22 May and a handoff meeting between the contractors and council will happen, which I will attend. This meeting will sign off the track for us to use.

I have added quite a few photos from the walk around the track today onto the club Facebook page. The track surface is really nice to walk and I was tempted to do a few laps today.

Day 52 – 11 May 2017

The line painting on the track and long jump has continued today and is due to be completed tomorrow, depending on weather conditions.

The metal inner rail for the track has now come back out of storage and has been put on the grass on the inside of the track and will be installed back on the track next week.

Day 54 – 15 May 2017

The line painting of the track, including hammer circle and long jump has now been completed.

The metal inner rail for the track is now back in place, the fence at the end of the home straight has been put back in place and the contractors have started to tidy up their access route to the track.

The contractor will continue to tidy up the site, remove their containers, take down the temporary fencing and a full inspection will be completed on the track. This inspection will include testing the surface of the track, checking that all of the lines are in the correct place and final inspection of the long jump sand pit, hammer circle and shot put area.

Follow the inspection, this report will be sent off to UKA for the track to be certified to take competitions onto the track, this could take a few weeks. Until the track has been certified, we will be unable to hold track competitions on the track.

Day 57 – 18 May 2017

The contractors have now put top soil and grass seed down on the access route to the track, removed their containers from site, removed their skip from the car park and reinstated the car park fence. The temporary fence around the track is currently still in place.

Hi - when will Zoe's Tuesday night training sessions start up again. I've missed them. Thanks

Whats the Latest? id like to do a little track training in my barefoot vibrams and trainers for comparison.

Thanks Rick

Quote: Helen M
Hi - when will Zoe's Tuesday night training sessions start up again. I've missed them. Thanks

Hi Helen,

Zoe's 6pm Tuesday sessions are still happening!
We've been running on an "old school" grass track for the last few weeks!

Georgia

Day 63 – 26 May 2017

Earlier today I attended the handover meeting from the contractors back to Central Beds Council and us. Yes that does mean that the track resurface work is now complete and we can use the track again.

The track has passed its inspection and is up to the standard set by IAAF. The inspection report is being set off shortly, so that we can get the certificate for the track in order to hold competitions again on the track, but this will take a few weeks.

Tomorrow the high jump and pole vault beds will be put back into position, and the hurdles will be removed out of the Liz Yelling building, so we will have more space again. Next Wednesday the grass around and inside the track will be cut, as its currently very tall.

In the summer, the club will be buying two containers, which will be used to store track and club equipment, in order to reduce the maintenance required for some of the equipment that is left out all year round and to free up more space in the Liz Yelling Building.