~ BIGGLESWADE ATHLETIC CLUB FORUM ~

As this message board can be viewed by anyone, anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

Forum: ~ BIGGLESWADE ATHLETIC CLUB FORUM ~
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Newbies' Corner - potential new members please drop in here

Having been new to the club a few months ago and after chatting to a few people yesterday, I thought it might be an idea to have a corner of the forum where people could leave a message to test the water if you're thinking of joining us for the first time.

I have been warmly welcomed by this lovely bunch of people and made to feel at home, but even so I know it's not easy being the new person and walking up to a bunch of complete strangers who all know each other.

If you're thinking of coming along for the first time, if you'd like to put a message on here to let us know when you're coming, we'll make sure you receive a warm welcome. There is the odd run once a month when we have an awayday during the week starting from somewhere other than Sandy Sports Centre, so if that coincides with when you had in mind, we'll let you know when and where to meet us.

Re: Newbies' Corner - potential new members please drop in here

Hi just wanted to say I came for a run out a few months ago and was met with open arms and a warm welcome. I have every intention of joining but have been injured for sometime now with my knee ligaments. As soon as they are ok I will dust off my trainers and join you xx

Hi Shelley

Sorry to hear about the injury and hope you're soon on the mend. Looking forward to meeting you when you're recovered.

Or you could always join us for the 'cake' bit of a coffee and cake run on a Sunday in the meantime? :-)

Hi, I've recently moved to Sandy and am planning on coming along tomorrow evening to join in the road runners run! Looking forward to it ☺

Hi Amy

We look forward to welcoming you tomorrow evening. Tomorrow night's run is affectionately known as the 'RSPB loop'. It's a lovely route, about 4 miles long and there are options to make it shorter (or longer), if you want to.

Just in case you don't know; we meet by the cycle sheds, by the entrance to Sandy Upper School, at 7pm - you won't be able to miss us.

I will try to make it but if I'm not there have a chat with Damo (he's the coach) and we will try to pair you up with someone of a similar pace.

If you have any further questions, do ask.

Hi,

Im new to area and looking to come down and do some sprinting. What time do these sessions start?

Many thanks

Hi Nick

The main club runs are at 7pm Tuesdays and Thursdays, plus there's a longer run on Sundays at 9am from various different locations which all finish with coffee and cake (see the forum for the location of this week's run). However the Sunday runs are not happening for the next couple of weeks due to a couple of races that people are taking part in. On Tuesdays/Thursdays we meet at Sandy Sports Centre Engayne Avenue, Sandy, Beds, SG19 1BL at 7pm by the bike sheds (or inside them if it's raining!)

If you specifically want sprinting/speedwork then you might be better with the track sessions, which are 6pm on Tuesdays run by Coach Zoe, from the track at Sandy Sports Centre. However I'd suggest coming along to a main club run at 7pm for starters so that you can have a chat to a few people and work out what suits you best.

Let us know when you want to come along and we'll look out for you.

Hi

I've also recently moved to the area and am hoping to come along to a club session soon. What type of pace are the Tuesday and Thursday night sessions?

Thanks

Nicky

We cater for all ages and abilities, Nicky. There are some pretty fast runners among us but others, like myself, are just plodders.

Great, thanks. Will see you later tonight then,

Nicky

Quote: Nick
Hi,

Im new to area and looking to come down and do some sprinting. What time do these sessions start?

Many thanks

Nick if you are specifically looking at sprinting we have 3 specific Sprint coaches that cater for all standards all ages

All groups are analysed and we would put people in a group that is of the same standard

These sessions are at different times with coaches on site from 6 until 8 30 pm usually Tuesday and Thursday and at weekend's

As Vicky said come down and have a chat with a club member and we can put you in a group comfortable to you

Great idea! Just moved to the area. Been running for about 4 years, but I've fallen by the wayside a bit after a busy year. Looking to join up, think I'll pop down tomorrow night and test the waters with you guys :)

Hi Paul

Great, looking forward to meeting you. It's the last but one of the summer runs tonight before we have to stick to running where there are street lights. Tonight is a really nice route around the RSPB.

Im looking at coming along for a session but concerned I might be a bit slow, what sort of pace do the plodders run at? I would like to improve my pace is that something the club can help me with?

Quote: Richard F
Im looking at coming along for a session but concerned I might be a bit slow, what sort of pace do the plodders run at? I would like to improve my pace is that something the club can help me with?

Of course Richard

Our coaches will be able to assist you and help you to improve your speed and pace

David

Senior coach

Quote: david
Quote: Richard F

Of course Richard

Our coaches will be able to assist you and help you to improve your speed and pace

David

Senior coach

Thanks David may pop up Tuesday where do I meet and who do I speak with?

Hi Richard

Tuesdays or Thursdays at 7pm by the cycle rack, inside it if it's raining. Your best bet to speak to is Damo who's the guy with the bright orange running shoes who will do the announcements before we set off, but just introduce yourself to the nearest person when you arrive and we'll make sure you're looked after.

You won't be too slow, promise. My eyesight in the dark is terrible, even with streetlights and a head torch, so I'll be plodding along at the back, probably 10.5 to 11 minute mile pace. Or less!

Sunday morning coffee and cake runs are great, there's a whole range of abilities from greyhounds to plodders. Everyone stops to re-group every so often and it's very much a social thing so nobody gets left behind. There isn't one this week as most people are off doing the Round Norfolk Relay, but watch the message board for details of next week's run.

In terms of speeding up, a definite yes. When I'm not fumbling around in the dark, since joining the club I've knocked half a minute per mile off my pace and my last half was about 8 minutes quicker than the same race last year.

Let us know which night you're planning on coming and we'll look out for you.

Quote: Vicky B
Hi Richard

Tuesdays or Thursdays at 7pm by the cycle rack, inside it if it's raining. Your best bet to speak to is Damo who's the guy with the bright orange running shoes who will do the announcements before we set off, but just introduce yourself to the nearest person when you arrive and we'll make sure you're looked after.

You won't be too slow, promise. My eyesight in the dark is terrible, even with streetlights and a head torch, so I'll be plodding along at the back, probably 10.5 to 11 minute mile pace. Or less!

Sunday morning coffee and cake runs are great, there's a whole range of abilities from greyhounds to plodders. Everyone stops to re-group every so often and it's very much a social thing so nobody gets left behind. There isn't one this week as most people are off doing the Round Norfolk Relay, but watch the message board for details of next week's run.

In terms of speeding up, a definite yes. When I'm not fumbling around in the dark, since joining the club I've knocked half a minute per mile off my pace and my last half was about 8 minutes quicker than the same race last year.

Let us know which night you're planning on coming and we'll look out for you.

Thanks Vicky i will be down Tuesday hopefully to give it a go see you all then i hope

Hiya, I have been running for a few years now (solo) and thought it would be fun to join up with some other runners. Thinking about coming tommorow night if you still go out running in the cold and dark??

Hi Mark,
Yes we go out in all weathers, light & dark, all the year round.
Tomorrow (Tues 24th) happens to be an "away day" in St Neots, and you are very welcome to come along. We have an "away day" about once per month to break up the monotony of running around the Sandy area. Meet in St Neots Market Square by 7pm.
If you prefer to wait to join us in Sandy, then this coming Thursday or next Tuesday would be good. Take a look at our Club Calendar (link on home page) and click on the entries to see what training runs are planned.

Hi ya

How long from joining does it take to get your running affiliated number, sorry not sure of the technical term :)

Thanks xx

From memory, Hannah, your EA affiliated number comes direct from England Athletics. I'll refer the club secretary to this post and get him to confirm.

"Big Jules" the EA number does come on a card from English Athletics direct eventually. But our club secretary can obtain the number in advance on the EA club portal,if they quickly need the number for a race entry. John

Thank you both, will be looking to enter some things again shortly so keen to get this :)

PS to anyone that is thinking of joining - definitely do! I only joined a couple of months back and already feel like one of the family! Its great to run with company and have the support of the experienced runners and the coaches. I do both - road and track training and both as friendly as the other. Not long lived in the area and did not know any of the great routes so the coffee and cake run on a Sunday morning keeps you motivated and shows you new routes :)

Quote: Hannah B
Hi ya

How long from joining does it take to get your running affiliated number, sorry not sure of the technical term :)

Thanks xx
Hi Hannah,

I've emailed you with your number as John suggested.

Cheers, Chris
Quote: Hannah Broom
...the coffee and cake run on a Sunday morning keeps you motivated and shows you new routes :)
As well as getting to eat a wide selection of cake. :)

Quote: Hannah Broom

PS to anyone that is thinking of joining - definitely do! I only joined a couple of months back and already feel like one of the family! Its great to run with company and have the support of the experienced runners and the coaches. I do both - road and track training and both as friendly as the other. Not long lived in the area and did not know any of the great routes so the coffee and cake run on a Sunday morning keeps you motivated and shows you new routes :)

Where's the 'like' button? Me too Hannah, that's just how I feel.

Hiya, I joined you a few weeks back at a st neots run, are you still meeting next week or do you have a break over xmas?

Quote: Mark
Hiya, I joined you a few weeks back at a st neots run, are you still meeting next week or do you have a break over xmas?

Hi Mark

It will be 'business as usual' on Tuesday 22nd December but not on Thursday 24th, however, on Monday 28th we have the annual 'Kingfisher Way training run' (see separate thread on forum) where you can run all or part of the route.

Not sure about the following week, will ask one of the coaches to confirm for week commencing 28th.

Access to the school and sports centre will be limited from 24 Dec to 3 Jan with a 9am - 3pm opening times

I will be taking a session at Lee Valley indoor centre on 30 Dec with a possibility of a hill sessions on the 2 Jan at Rowney Warren

Hi, I just moved to Biggleswade and would like to come up and join the club for the track and field sessions. I have a little recent experience in discus (21-23m) and shot (7-8m), but I am pretty much a total novice in most events, having not done T&F for over 12 years (since school). Just looking to (re)try the sport (particularly field events) for my own personal gain and meet new people in the area. Hoping to come up next week. Just wondering what its like for novice seniors doing T&F at BAC, it seems that most seniors in the club are road runners. Also would like to know where to go/talk my first time up.

Hi Darren

Come down and talk to myself and or Alison our throws coach

We do get an occasional t&F newbie or one returning

As a club we look to support the athlete striving for their goals and welcome all

As I often say athletics is spirt for all

We do Tuesday and Thursday sessions at the track and circuits and conditioning on Mondays at Stratton School Biggleswade from 6 pm

Hi, I'm looking at joining the club but am a bit confused about what training sessions would be suitable for me! I am 19 and have just got back into running and do a 5km in just under 30 mins usually. I want to increase my distance and run 6-8k at home although am not the quickest! thanks

Hi Elissa,

Unless any of the coaches think otherwise, perhaps our 7pm group might be best for you initially. They meet Tuesday and Thursday at the front of the school.

The one on this Thursday might not be ideal for a first one, but the run on Tuesday 31st would probably be fine: 4.5 miles around Sandy, with a couple of options to shorten if necessary. As we do sometimes run on roads, please do bring some sort of hi-viz top (yellow or white).

Also, keep an eye on the club's google calendar (link on club website) as they do sometimes meet away from Sandy Upper (such as Feb 2nd in Biggleswade).

http://www.biggleswadeac.org.uk

Hi, I came along last Thursday and am hoping to make it today as well. Just like everyone else above has been saying - everyone was very welcoming and I didn't feel awkward despite being, shall we say, less speedy than most!

Quote: Katherine
Hi, I came along last Thursday and am hoping to make it today as well. Just like everyone else above has been saying - everyone was very welcoming and I didn't feel awkward despite being, shall we say, less speedy than most!

Hi Katherine, that's great, welcome aboard. If you're free on Sunday we're doing a coffee and cake run from Danish Camp at Willington, meeting at 9.30am in the car park.

If you're on Facebook, there's an event page in the link below. Hope you can join us.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1079088608904379/

Ok that sounds good, thanks I won't be able to come next week but will try to come on Tuesday 7th or Thursday 9th if these wold be suitable?

Hello, I'm hoping to join with the aim of increasing distance and speed. I did a Parkrun a couple of months ago in 28mins, but I need people to run with so that I can push myself further! Which group would you recommend for me? I'm unable to come until Tues 21st, would that still be at the Sports Centre? Thanks! Amy :)

Quote: Amy
Hello, I'm hoping to join with the aim of increasing distance and speed. I did a Parkrun a couple of months ago in 28mins, but I need people to run with so that I can push myself further! Which group would you recommend for me? I'm unable to come until Tues 21st, would that still be at the Sports Centre? Thanks! Amy :)

Hi Amy

Sorry for not replying sooner.

You will be most welcome to join us on Tuesday 21st. Probably the best thing would be to come along to the 7pm session (we meet at the front of Sandy Upper School) and we'll find someone of a similar pace (perhaps a bit quicker ;-) ) to run with you. On the 21st the scheduled training session is a run along the cycle path (Route 51) with torches so do remember to bring your head torch, if you have one. There are other training groups but if you come along to the 7pm group we can have a chat with you to see which one would suit you best.

Jules

After all that I got caught up with training for my first half marathon last weekend so I've not come along to a second session yet - hopefully next Tuesday. Am I correct that Tuesday evenings the road group always go from Sandy Upper School?

Quote: Katherine
After all that I got caught up with training for my first half marathon last weekend so I've not come along to a second session yet - hopefully next Tuesday. Am I correct that Tuesday evenings the road group always go from Sandy Upper School?

Hi Katherine,

The road group usually go from Sandy Upper, but not always as they occasionally have away days which are noted on the club calendar:

http://www.ukcw.co.uk/bac-calendar

and a reminder is usually posted on the forum.

Next Tuesday 7th is from Sandy Upper, but for this particular one - do remember to bring a hi-viz top and a torch! :-)

Quote: Vicky B
Having been new to the club a few months ago and after chatting to a few people yesterday, I thought it might be an idea to have a corner of the forum where people could leave a message to test the water if you're thinking of joining us for the first time.

I have been warmly welcomed by this lovely bunch of people and made to feel at home, but even so I know it's not easy being the new person and walking up to a bunch of complete strangers who all know each other.

Hi do you cater for over 50s in the track events like a veterans events.I'm 59 and just interested in what you may do.I play a bit of football to keep myself reasonably fit.

Hi David,
Yes we do cater for athletes of all ages and disciplines.
If you are interested in "masters/veterans" track events, we compete in the Eastern Masters (EMAC) Track & Field league during the spring/summer months.
These matches are held on the first Wednesday of each month from May to August.
Track events range from 100m to 3000m, and there is normally a walking event of 1km or 2km
You are most welcome to come along to a Tuesday or Thursday training session and have a word with our coaches for more information. Or speak to Charlie Arnold who leads our EMAC team.

Quote: David
Hi do you cater for over 50s in the track events like a veterans events.I'm 59 and just interested in what you may do.I play a bit of football to keep myself reasonably fit.

Hi David - I'm a regular at EMAC events and can vouch that these are great fun. Generally there's one or two pretty good athletes in each event, and then everyone else is basically just mucking in to help the team get points.

As an illustration, I did the hammer for the first time in the opening match this season, thinking getting a legal throw in would be a result, and I was kind of staggered to find myself landing third place, despite not getting it all that far out of the cage at all. I actually wasn't that far off second.

Likewise I tried race-walking for the first time last Wednesday, and despite coming third last, earned the team maximum points because each club is allowed two walkers in the race, and four of the teams didn't have a willing mug to include as their "B" competitor.

My main point is: if you want to get good, the club's great for that. But likewise, there's absolutely nothing to be scared of if you're coming in cold, particularly if you have some base fitness behind you, wanting to get stuck straight in.

FYI - there are two fixtures left of the EMAC season, in Milton Keynes on 5 July, the Stevenage on 26 July.

Sounds good.what time do you meet on Tuesday and who do I ask for.david.

There's several different training groups that meet in different places at slightly different times.

All info here: http://www.biggleswadeac.org.uk/training.html

Note that the senior road running group are on an away day in Broom next Tuesday! It's always worth checking the calendar (linked from the website homepage) to see when they're coming up.

Have a look and see what you fancy and we'll put you in touch with the right coach or group leader.

Ok track running will be fine for me so 6 o'clock at track side tue.?