Return to Website

Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Association

This Forum is about You and Your Neighborhood. Here's the place to express your thoughts, ideas and concerns about our beautiful Beachwood Canyon.

Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fran R and the BCNA take one Hard!

Too Funny! Too True!

She lied to me at her table in the Plaza when I asked her how big the lot was. She told me it only slighly larger than the average in the area.

I found out later the guy owns 4 or 5 lots with over 26,000 sq ft.

She deserves everything she gets!

Let me start by saying I am a Fran supporter. She means well but doesn't always do things the way the rest of would under the same circumstances. I have tried several times to redirect her efforts to more productive pursuits. However, the ability to listen to others is not one of Fran's qualities. She will continue to fail for the foreseeable future until they adjust her medication or she takes up knitting again.

The truth hurts but leave the poor women alone.

I attended the City Planning hearing Tuesday evening at City Hall in regards to this controversial addition on Durand. 

BACKGROUND: several months ago, this house addition had been approved by the DRB and the City Planning Dept,  however (2) appeals were filed opposing that City approval; these appeals were filed by Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Associate (run by Fran R.) as well as by Fran R individually and including with her "stop the mansionization" group.    The basis of appeals was that the City approval did not comply with the Specific Plan and didn't perform the correct due diligence.  Last nights's meeting was to hear and rule on these (2) appeals. 

The net outcome of this hearing was that the Planning Board viewed that the homeowner the DRB, and the City complied with everything necessary for this project.  As a result they rejected the appeal and the homeowner can build his addition. 

While I agree with the merits of a "stop the mansionization" campaign, as we've seen too many terrible spec homes built with no regard to the neighborhood, I don't agree with the way this campaign was handled or who it was directed towards. I was insulted by the misinformation that was used, not only on the flyers but also in this hearing, and how they continued to disparage the homeowner, the DRB, and the City.   I think that worked against them, especially within this hearing.

I was however entertained by the two diff't representatives that presented on behalf of Fran.  While they tried to appear professional they really didn't present anything real or tangible that would overturn this decision. Ironically I think one is a lawyer and the other a journalist but they came off as cartoon characters (one even resembles Elmer Fudd *). I found myself embarrassed for them because despite the charts and statistics they tried to use, their lies kept being exposed by the real facts on rebuttal.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Fudd

The board noted that while there were neighbors opposed, there was also many neighbors in favor; I think that aspect neutralized Fran's letters and petition so the board focus was on whether the city planner and DRB acted properly.   It was determined that they did and that they went above and beyond, despite the assertions by "Elmer Fudd" that they did not. 

Renee Weitzer (from Councilman LaBonge's staff) gave a very strong statement regarding the Specific Plan, its origins and intent, and how and why it got created.   She also voiced strong statements about the quality and profesionalism of those on the DRB, especially in contrast to other neighborhoods. 

I believe that as Fran and Friends saw how professionally the homeowner handled himself over the last several months, and that this project, while large, was not the monstrosity that they billed it as being, this loss was not as big a deal for them.  They seemed to accept it without much grumbling.   I think their primary focus is not having this set a precedent for future mansions and quite possibly making the specific plan more specific.

No one wants an out of scale home next door to them, but that really wasn't the case here. Those who use logic can see the merits of this large house over 4 lots, that includes lots of landscaping and greenspace, as well as supporting a homeowner that has a proven track record of building quality. In this case I think Fran was fighting the wrong battle.   

Despite all the neighborhood infighting I think it was a positive overall experience, and may strengthen and prevent the terrible houses that have sprung up that don't follow the rules and don't listen to the DRB. I am also optimistic that this controversial Durand project will be an example of quality construction, of how to follow the processes, work with the DRB, and also understand that its not the size of the house, but rather its ratio to the land its on.

That really is the concept of what Hollywoodland was based on.

PJB:

Thanks for your comprehensive description of the hearing. I agree that Fran and her people cartoon characters and bold face liars!

Way too Funny! Yeah these BCNA people are a joke. A Star Wars bar scene cast of malcontents