Return to Website

Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Association

This Forum is about You and Your Neighborhood. Here's the place to express your thoughts, ideas and concerns about our beautiful Beachwood Canyon.

Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Village Cafe

Your wrong about getting a "B" rating in a resturant, I got one once and only once. Ratings are rated on a point sysytem and it is not flagrantly given out. You are not given it for just one infraction. I too have seen the "B" rating in the Village Cafe and it has appeard more than once. I also found it easy to have the inspector back out to write off the infraction as it is not their intention to ruin business. I'm only surprised that the cafe has never received a "C" rating.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I just found out that many months ago an inspector came for the routine look about at the Cafe. They saw a dish washer rinse his/her hands and then put away clean dishes. They would have had an easy "A" but that single offense (instantly corrected) costs so many points that it threw the Cafe into a "B" rating. Notified that this was corrected, the inspectors won't put up an "A" till they have time to come by for another inspection. All these months the Cafe has had to wear the stigma of a "B" for that single offense. There's no way that a business owner can force the inspectors to hurry back, reinspect and put up their "A". So they wait - and wait - and listen to people thinking that they got a "B" for something like wrong temperatures or bugs or worse. This is absolutely NOT the case. Please ask Alex in the market if you're wanting clarification - and come back to eat - they are now open on Sunday's from 8AM - 3PM by popular demand.

Replying to:

Too Many B ratings in the Window.

Would love to eat there again without getting

sick.

Re: Re: Re: Village Cafe

The infraction of not using soap on one's hands when going from the water faucet to the clean dishes is worth lots of point. The Cafe was due for an A according to the point system you refer to, then the inspector witnessed the failure to use soap by the dishwasher. This send them into the B catagory. I am not aware of any previous B rating for them. I know one thing for certain, it would be a shame to lose the Cafe because of a temporary "B". In this case, the inspectors have not come back for 4 months - why they came back to your establishment so quickly and have dragged their feet regarding the Cafe is a question that neither of us can answer. No community business success without being patronized by the residents in the area. We need to ask ourselves if there is any reason why we would not want the Cafe to succeed. Is there? Then support the place. Share your concerns and complaints with them directly so they can have the opportunity to make changes that you want made. They want your businesses - so share your thoughts with them. Maybe that suggestion box at the market would be a good place to start. Just a thought.

Replying to:

Your wrong about getting a "B" rating in a resturant, I got one once and only once. Ratings are rated on a point sysytem and it is not flagrantly given out. You are not given it for just one infraction. I too have seen the "B" rating in the Village Cafe and it has appeard more than once. I also found it easy to have the inspector back out to write off the infraction as it is not their intention to ruin business. I'm only surprised that the cafe has never received a "C" rating.

Replying to:

I just found out that many months ago an inspector came for the routine look about at the Cafe. They saw a dish washer rinse his/her hands and then put away clean dishes. They would have had an easy "A" but that single offense (instantly corrected) costs so many points that it threw the Cafe into a "B" rating. Notified that this was corrected, the inspectors won't put up an "A" till they have time to come by for another inspection. All these months the Cafe has had to wear the stigma of a "B" for that single offense. There's no way that a business owner can force the inspectors to hurry back, reinspect and put up their "A". So they wait - and wait - and listen to people thinking that they got a "B" for something like wrong temperatures or bugs or worse. This is absolutely NOT the case. Please ask Alex in the market if you're wanting clarification - and come back to eat - they are now open on Sunday's from 8AM - 3PM by popular demand.

Replying to:

sick.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Village Cafe

I would GLADLY support our neighborhood restaurant if the food were better and the menu in keeping with the times -- but it's just a notch above Denny's and I quit taking visiting friends there because they said the food was lousy, and I agree. We shouldn't have to support the Village Cafe as a charity case, it should be as high a quality as the people in the neighborhood, and it sure isn't.

Replying to:

The infraction of not using soap on one's hands when going from the water faucet to the clean dishes is worth lots of point. The Cafe was due for an A according to the point system you refer to, then the inspector witnessed the failure to use soap by the dishwasher. This send them into the B catagory. I am not aware of any previous B rating for them. I know one thing for certain, it would be a shame to lose the Cafe because of a temporary "B". In this case, the inspectors have not come back for 4 months - why they came back to your establishment so quickly and have dragged their feet regarding the Cafe is a question that neither of us can answer. No community business success without being patronized by the residents in the area. We need to ask ourselves if there is any reason why we would not want the Cafe to succeed. Is there? Then support the place. Share your concerns and complaints with them directly so they can have the opportunity to make changes that you want made. They want your businesses - so share your thoughts with them. Maybe that suggestion box at the market would be a good place to start. Just a thought.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

sick.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Village Cafe

Thank you.. it was a bit lonely out there. thought I was the only one getting sick until my friends started getting sick too.

Replying to:

I would GLADLY support our neighborhood restaurant if the food were better and the menu in keeping with the times -- but it's just a notch above Denny's and I quit taking visiting friends there because they said the food was lousy, and I agree. We shouldn't have to support the Village Cafe as a charity case, it should be as high a quality as the people in the neighborhood, and it sure isn't.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

sick.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Village Cafe

If the neighbors have strong feelings about wanting an updated menu, again, it's probably a good idea to see Alex or Bill and politely suggest that. Be specific - what would you like to see - some Sunday specials maybe? Perhaps new recipes? Anything that stays the same for too long will soon bore the neighbors. I understand that. But communication - direct and simple might help this. I will cut and paste these notes and give them to Alex to start the ball rolling but feel free to speak to him. I'm sure this information, as painful as it may be, will be welcome information.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Village Cafe

My wish for the Village Cafe would be the highest quality food available, cooked the best (and simplest) way possible by an excellent chef. I yearn for healthier, gourmet and vegetarian fare at our neighborhood cafe, an A+ restaurant for this A+ neighborhood. I would gladly pay more and so would most of us, to have a high-standard eatery to take our friends and/or meet with neighbors. I used to take visitors there for breakfast but my friends deserve the best so I take them to the best restaurants. If the Village Cafe were up to more sophisticated tastebud standards, it would get more business with a classier clientele. It would be wonderful to have a delicious dining experience at the Village Cafe. Give us the best and charge more, please! If some people just want a good deal on their meals, they can go to Yuca on Hillhurst or Denny's.

Replying to:

If the neighbors have strong feelings about wanting an updated menu, again, it's probably a good idea to see Alex or Bill and politely suggest that. Be specific - what would you like to see - some Sunday specials maybe? Perhaps new recipes? Anything that stays the same for too long will soon bore the neighbors. I understand that. But communication - direct and simple might help this. I will cut and paste these notes and give them to Alex to start the ball rolling but feel free to speak to him. I'm sure this information, as painful as it may be, will be welcome information.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Village Cafe

Maybe at the next meeting, people could make a list of menu items they would like to see added, new recipes and Sunday specials, do you think the cafe would pay any attention?

Replying to:

Village Cafe

Hey Sunee,

Great idea! I'm adding it to the Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Assoc. agenda for the July 10th meeting - 6PM at Cheremoya Elementary School. Let's get some ideas from the neighbors and present them to the powers that be in a constructive and creative way. Thanks for that.

Replying to:

Maybe at the next meeting, people could make a list of menu items they would like to see added, new recipes and Sunday specials, do you think the cafe would pay any attention?

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Village Cafe

I did try to share my thouhgts with the help. I was told to tell the chef directly. I will do as you say and tell the owners directly. I like having the Cafe here I am embarrased with my friends who see it. Please can they bring it up to snuff a bit. I too would like to use it from time to time. Your responce is a little on the bias. I suggests you go more often and get a better idea of the quality.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

sick.

Re: Village Cafe

The Village Cafe now has an A rating, I just noticed last week. I wish they'd improve their coffee, think I'll mention that next time I eat there.

Re: Re: Village Cafe

The Village Cafe has a B rating, I was there last week, so if it got its A back, it lost it again. My friends and I are not going to eat there again til it has an A rating. The coffee seemed a little better last week though.

Re: Village Cafe

B rating is for:

1.BETTER not be in a hurry-cuz the service is so slow you'll have to bring your weed cutters to cut the roots you've grown while waiting for your food.
2.BETTER have an iron stomach to eat this whatever-you-call-it.
3.BETTER have your glass of wine before you eat dinner there-since they dont offer such libations. (Make it 2 glasses for that matter(to deal with #1 and #2)

Hey, here's a thought neighbors! Why don't we buy shares in the cafe-neighborhood shareholders-then we can hire an actual chef, and actual waiters. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here-just adding my .02. I know A LOT of restaurant people that would jump at the chance of maintaining the old world charm while lending a contemporary gastronimical hand to this establishment.