Return to Website

Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Association

This Forum is about You and Your Neighborhood. Here's the place to express your thoughts, ideas and concerns about our beautiful Beachwood Canyon.

Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: crime spree

The police are not blindly arresting folks just because they seem to look suspicious. Rather they are investigating each sighting, asking the appropriate questions and then, if there seems to be probably cause, detaining the individual or individuals. No matter what, the police are sworn to act responsibly and will not detain someone merely because a neighbor believes them to be suspicious-looking. For now, the police are checking everything out and they have had cause to detain certain individuals - and then again, they are forced to release individuals if there is not enough evidence to warrant holding them. The system is in place to protect you. There has been one solid arrest not counting the 5 arrested in connection with the Tyron invasion/beating. It is not established yet that the Tyron incident is connected in any way to our recent rash of crimes.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I'm proned to agree with the comments posted by Concerned Neighbor. What feedback are we getting from the police on this? Don't get me wrong...I do appreciate the increased police presence. But, what difference does that make if they are arresting the wrong people just because we the citizens think they look suspicious--that's not proof! And meanwhile, the real perpetrator(s) could still be on the loose. I've seen it happen before. Just thought I'd share my two cents...

Replying to:

The LAPD are working in a challenging environment with people spotting suspicious individuals left and right -good for those observant souls. So here we have an abundance of resources poured into our canyon because of this crime spree and these "resources" (extra police) and they don't know the neighborhood - yet. If there is any time to have more faith in the police, it's right now. At a time when the Mayor and City Council can't agree on the budget, police presence has never been more evident - not to mention the under cover police. The only word that comes to mind right now is "gratitude" - that's the word for the day.

Replying to:

Thanks for the info. I don't know...just because the police have made arrests doesn't make me feel any safer. I almost get the feeling that they really don't know who they should be looking for. I mean...we're the ones that have to live here day and night. Do they even have any evidence against these people??? I'm beginning to lose my faith in the LAPD...

Replying to:

I wasn't able to attend the mtg...what's the latest police update on the crime spree?

I was once a vocal critic of the LAPD, back in the bad old days of 1992-1998. I will admit that the police presence has been increased ten-fold. I have seen police stationed in the neighborhoods (they are actually parked on the side streets), they are eating at the local restaurants on Franklin (this is part of their patrol plan), frequently you will see a Police cruiser pass by the area every ten minutes, and the police "stakeout" vehicles also circulate in the neighborhoods. Frankly I think they are showing some real effort. I urge everyone to remember who the "bad guys" are in this situation. It is not LAPD. I do hope they catch these guys and we can all go back to walking along the sidewalks at night without fear of being mugged.

Replying to:

I'm proned to agree with the comments posted by Concerned Neighbor. What feedback are we getting from the police on this? Don't get me wrong...I do appreciate the increased police presence. But, what difference does that make if they are arresting the wrong people just because we the citizens think they look suspicious--that's not proof! And meanwhile, the real perpetrator(s) could still be on the loose. I've seen it happen before. Just thought I'd share my two cents...

Replying to:

The LAPD are working in a challenging environment with people spotting suspicious individuals left and right -good for those observant souls. So here we have an abundance of resources poured into our canyon because of this crime spree and these "resources" (extra police) and they don't know the neighborhood - yet. If there is any time to have more faith in the police, it's right now. At a time when the Mayor and City Council can't agree on the budget, police presence has never been more evident - not to mention the under cover police. The only word that comes to mind right now is "gratitude" - that's the word for the day.

Replying to:

Thanks for the info. I don't know...just because the police have made arrests doesn't make me feel any safer. I almost get the feeling that they really don't know who they should be looking for. I mean...we're the ones that have to live here day and night. Do they even have any evidence against these people??? I'm beginning to lose my faith in the LAPD...

Replying to:

I wasn't able to attend the mtg...what's the latest police update on the crime spree?

Re: Re: Re: crime spree

hi,
i may be locating to la, and have been researching towns...it seems i cannot find a town that is safe in los angeles. i have a small child...this really concerns me,,,what is the tyron beating? and is this area a safe place to consider raising my child? i was thinking of valencia because it safe, but really wanted to be closer to work...this all so overwhelming.

By this time you've no doubt moved to whatever location you decided on, but this neighborhood is very safe. Of course like any big city these days, kids have to be driven or walked to school, and picked up, no more walking home alone for children. My kids are never allowed to go anywhere alone, and I regret they can't be raised carefree like I was, I remember leaving home at first light and returning only when my stomach insisted at lunch time, then it was off again adventuring around the neighborhood till dinnertime. Those days are gone forever except in small towns, but even there, bad things can happen. I never heard of 'tyron beating'? What is it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: crime spree

Maybe that was "tire iron" beating and "tyron" is spelled with an accent? For updates on the crime spree, there's information on this website under CRIME. But it sounds worse than it is, we've lived here several years and not one crime has happened to us or anyone we know.