Return to Website

Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Association

This Forum is about You and Your Neighborhood. Here's the place to express your thoughts, ideas and concerns about our beautiful Beachwood Canyon.

Beachwood Canyon Neighborhood Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beachwood Mosquito Infestation!

Hello, neighbor.

I just finished with an inspector from the Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District. Over the last several night I have been bit by mosquito(s) in my apartment. I vaguely remembered that they are something other than a minor annoyance so I did a web search and found that L.A. county is very interested in keeping the mosquito population down because of the recent discovery of West Nile Virus in the county! They are happy to respond to mosquitos and really ask that the residents ALWAYS call and report them.

They breed in areas with standing water and can fly up to 2 miles from their water source. Often times it's as easy as finding a bucket that needs to be emptied in a back yard, but you might lack the resources to go and find that bucket on your own.

Today the inspector took almost 3 hours to locate the source of the mosquitos and begin the process of exterminating them!

He also suggested that I keep my eye out for any dead animals. Birds in particular, but because the risk is so high now, they are picking up squirrels and cats and dogs and any other animal that might have died in the area.

He cautioned that there is no need for panic in the event you find mosquitos or dead animals, and there is plenty they can do to reduce the spread of anything once those things are discovered in the neighborhood. But DO call!

In the Beachwood Canyon area (north of the 101) we are served by the District Headquarters and they can be reached at (562) 944-9656.

Here's the link to look at the web sites I found. Be sure and let your neighbors know to be on the lookout, share this information with them!

Your neighbor,

Sean Everett
1944 N. Beachwood

http://www.glacvcd.org/ This is the Vector control Web site
(click the "brochures" link and you'll find the "West Nile Virus" button on the bottom.)

Re: Beachwood Mosquito Infestation!

Thanks Sean, for the info. A most important thing to remember, no standing water! Be sure to upside-down your plant bowls or outside vases drainage when not in use. Also, we bought 'pest-strips' at Home Depot mainly because of weird little flies we're seeing this summer, but the strips will help keep the mosquito population down too.