Those Darn Accordions Message Board

Welcome to the new TDA board! If you want to return to the official TDA website at any time, just click "Return to Website."

Those Darn Accordions Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Travelling with an accordion on an airplane

Hi--

I'm currently in college and I obtained my accordion while I'm here at school and I've run into a problem now.

At the end of the school year, I have to fly home with my accordion.

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever concerning travel on a plane with an accordion. I'm terrified of baggage handelers so that's not really an option.

It's a 120 bass piano accordion, 3/4 size with a hard case--- but I got it used, and I don't know how protective the case would be.

Any suggestions? I've never travelled with an accordion and I just don't want anything to happen to it. It's my most precious posession.

Thanks
-Aron

Re: Travelling with an accordion on an airplane

Aron, as of Jan, 17, 2003 the process of flying with a musical instrument has changed. The new code states that fligt operators are to allow musicians to take there instruments on the plane with them as well as one carry on item.

Sincerly
Jared

Re: Re: Travelling with an accordion on an airplane

Thats awesome--- but I don't know where it would go--

It's pretty big.

Thanks for the info!

Re: Re: Re: Travelling with an accordion on an airplane

If I were you I'd either buy a soft case for your accordion or just carry it on with no case, otherwise you run the risk of the airline trying to insist you put it in baggage regardless of the law. You should have no problem fitting it in overhead.