Those Darn Accordions Message Board

Welcome to the new TDA board! If you want to return to the official TDA website at any time, just click "Return to Website."

Those Darn Accordions Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
thanks

Back now in Pennsylvania after seeing a couple of TDA shows at the Wisconsin State Fair. Wonderful performances despite the unseasonably cold weather and gray skies. Thank you to TDA for the complimentary (complementary?) Lawnball CD; I and my wife & kids listened to it all the way back to PA on the long ride home. My kids have already picked out their favorite songs, and my son has happily added "dumb**s" to his vocabulary. It was a thrill to see TDA again performing live. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a band perform; I guess it must have been the last time I saw TDA.

Almost as much fun as watching the band was witnessing the expressions on the faces of people in the audience who, presumably, were seeing TDA for the first time. You'd almost invariably see a progression from open-mouthed shock and bewilderment as TDA began to perform (perhaps not quite what they were expecting in an accordion band?), gradually warming up to smiles and happy faces, people singing along. You guys on stage must get a lot of that.

"Lawnball" is a surprise in many ways. Briefly, I'm thinking that the CD has a different personality than the TDA CDs that preceded it. Not counting the Led Zepplin and Edgar Winter covers, and the happy (?) "There's Another Dumb**s On the Mountain," the core of the CD is a bit more delicate compared to other releases-"wistful," perhaps even "melacholy" or "poignant." I think my current favorite is "Hungover in Clover." Listening to this piece, I realized that one of the things I admire about TDA is that the fact that although accordions are the primary instruments that fact is secondary to the fact that the band simply plays great songs with evocative lyrics. Because of the great musicianship and songwriting the band far exceeds being a novelty act. The accordions turn into a means to an end and not an end in themselves. You can see this at work in the covers, for instance. At first listening to "Frankenstein" or whatever is humorous because it's done on accordions; but then listening and/or watching you soon forget about that and just groove to the tune, the intrepretation, because it's great.

Anyway, they say that talking about music is like dancing about architecture. Also a "hello" to Bill from Milwaukee whom I met and chatted with briefly at the performance--nice finally meeting you in person. Sorry I didn't get a chance to buy you a beer.

Thanks again,

-sam grey

Re: thanks

Sam,

Nice meeting you at the Fair also. Sorry we didn't get much of a chance to talk, I had a date to keep.

Anyone who would travel all the way from PA just to see the band, must truely be a fan. You should know that Paul mentioned you while they were doing a radio interview in Stevens Point prior to their show that evening.

Take care. Hope to see you again next summer.

*Bill In Milwaukee