Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fever hospital/ bristol

hello

does any one know of where or heard of (fever hospital nover's knapp )bedminster bristol around 1875 .any info would be great

many thanks marg

Re: fever hospital/ bristol

I have never heard of Nover’s Hill being referred to as Nover’s Knapp but assumed hill and knapp were similar words.

I Googled ‘Novers Hill Isolation’ and found this nugget of information:

1892 – Bristol sanitary committee purchased land in novers hill for a 58-bed isolation hospital for smallpox cases. Prior to this, the only hospital for isolation of infectious disease cases consisted of two small buildings each with 12 beds each in St Phillips Marsh.

I also came across the NSI website that is obviously devoted to the area and you may care to contact them yourself.

http://www.northern-slopes-initiative.co.uk/index.htm

Northern Slopes Initiative
C/o Buried Treaure
The Park Local Opportunity Centre
Daventry Road, Knowle
BRISTOL
BS4 1QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 07810 474558

E-mail: enquiries@northern-slopes-initiative.co.uk