Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Great Floods of 1968

I have a picture of my wife and my mother sitting on the parapet wall near the Bailey bridge erected in Bath hill area of Kaynsham which was taken by me during a visit to my hometown just after the terrible floods in 1968.
I must say we weren't aware of the gravity of the event that had 'recently' occured.
Would it be possible to send the picture to you for inclusion in the article, which I must say was covered so well by everybody.
The only reason I came across this was that I had Googled Keith Bees Keynsham - Keith was one of my pals in the 50's as well as my next door neighbour along with Clive and Nat Ah! Memories

Re: Great Floods of 1968

Hi

Thank you for your kind offer of your photograph please send to bristolhistory@googlemail.com

Keith Bees of Keynsham was a well known person in the town. After the floods he moved to a new shop in Station Road Keynsham (next to the church)

I also remember the floods the family home was at Willsbridge. The house was on the end of a rank it took the full force of the flood and as a result suffered structural damage. Many people lost everything and most were not insured against flood damage, it was heart breaking.

I lost my old Hillman Minx in the flood it was never seen again!! such was the force of the storm. My grandfather ran Willsbridge Mill, South Gloucestershire, it was wrecked beyond repair after two hundred years as a working mill, a huge 20-ft tree trunk wrecked the power dam at Willsbridge sending thousands of tons of water spilling into the village.(the mill is now used by The Avon Wildlife Trust)

Willsbridge Mill suffered a tremendous battering as the, by now unrecognisable, Warmley Brook roared through it. Several tons of animal feed disappeared when the store and outbuildings were washed away. A massive tree trunk was swept into the dam walls which were unable to withstand the force of the impact and gave way.

The Mill never recovered, the machinery was sold off to a farmer in Brislington and the building was sold to a developer, who in turn gave it to the local council.

Hello again,
Pictures on their way
B/R
Charles

Hi Me again, I have just re-read your post and you says that Keith Bees was a...

you're talking past tense here can you elaborate???
Charles