Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
designing the engine of the first motor-car

Hi Paul;

I love your site! The images are very moving.
I am attaching a newspaper clipping about my G- Grandfather Phillip Mahoney and his claim to fame with designing the engine of the first motor-car in England in the late 1800's.

He was part of the Merchant Venture Technical College in Bristol and an electrical engineer. I looked
with interest in your transporation area with photos and thought maybe I should submit this.

His son, my Grandfather George Mahoney,came to Canada in 1923 on the Empress of France seeking a labour job as a harvester here and we have found this clipping in his documents after he passed away.

I hope you can get some use from it. I am currently searching for more information on Phillip Mahoney through Bristol University.

Attached are the newspaper clipping from 1935 after his death, as well as a picture of him with wife and my Grandfather George's youngest siblings
on a beach somewhere. I am unsure why the 3rd picture (of my Grampa's older brother Peter John proudly displaying a car would be there) but I have included it regardless. I have no ide whether it has to do with
Great-Grandfathers career as an engine designer for cars?

I am simply fascinated about Bristol and it's history.

I would love if you posted my GG Philip Mahoney's clipping about his claim to fame regarding the design of the first engine for UK by the BENZ Co.

I just absolutely love your Bristol website and it is the main reason for getting my Dad (75) internet savvy and getting into this century. Dad's father (my
grampa) George was born and raised in Bristol. George was the son of Philip.

I think the photographic images of Bristol during WW 2 are simply incedible and I wish my Dad could see them (if only he had a computer). He can pop by my work to see images, but it's too busy of a place for us to reflect.

It almost brings tear to my eyes. One day I was on the phone to Dad and was gushing about your site saying I wished he had a computer to see these
beautiful images. I told him there was music attached...he told me to hold the phone so he could listen.

LOL - He said it sounded like funeral music but was said it sounded beautiful and was intrigued nonetheless. I laughed my head off at that, but I and Dad still think the music is fitting as it is sombre and reflective of a very devasting time in Bristol
History. We are very moved by your work on the war images and they and music combined brings a tear to our eyes.

I hope you understand the 'family pull' that even though we are 7,000 miles away in Canada and Grampa came here to Canada, we still are very
intrigued by the City of Bristol. The fact that my Grampa's flesh and blood lived, worked, worshipped and bled Bristol is very important to us
and our family history.

I applaud your site and thank you for your e-mail.

Keep up the good work, Paul. You are doing a tremendous job. By all means post my great-grampa's clipping...

Keep up the good work!

Regards
Diane Mahoney Logan
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada