Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Visit to The Butchers Arms BS30

Hi After reading your interesting article on the Butcher's Arms public house in Longwell Green South Gloucestershire BS30, thought i would pay a visit to see what this pub has to offer for my good beer guide?.

The Butchers' Arms takes it's named from the buildings original use to slaughter cattle, this building was once part of Mount Pleasant Farm. It started out as a farm shop, later to become a public house. Past Landlords: 1886. George Furber / 1893. ? Collins / 1901 - 39. George Gough.

2008 my visit to the pub: Upon entering the pub i noticed a large "For Sale" sign outside, not a good start?. I went into the pub lounge which is quite small, with an even smaller counter. I ordered a pint of Bass beer,there were a few customers sat around small tables drinking and playing cards, the talk seemed to be about the last war? very strange!!. Then i noticed something very odd, they all seemed to be staring at me. It reminded me of a Wild West movie where the stranger rides into town, and walks into the local saloon and everyone goes quiet and stares till you leave - Eiree!!!".

There's much to be said for regulars in bars, but sometimes they can seem alienating to newcomers, with the entire pub staring at you upon entrance. Anyhow i decided to make a night of it and stay for another pint of Bass and try to make conversation with one of the pub locals. He informed me that this was the best night for my visit, because it was "quiz night" and the question master was local "know it all" Frank from nearby Hanham village.

But i decided this was not for me, and walked to the door to leave, i then noticed that the regulars were still staring at me. Very Very Strange!! But i found the part where people were staring at you, even when you made direct eye contact, to be absolutely hilarious (for some stupidly strange reason!)

I would give this public house a low rating of 4 out of 10 the history is far more interesting than the actual pub. The Bass was quite good, but expensive. And if Franks quiz night is all this pub can offer, this will be my last visit.