Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Peters - first Black England Rugby Player

Hi there.

James was my great uncle and I am trying to piece together his life (bit by bit).

Does anyone know of Knowle Rugby club - where he apparently played on returning to Bristol from a London orphanage. He also played for Bristol before moving to Plymouth. If anyone knows anything about him - please contact me.

Thanks - Kimmie

Re: James Peters - first Black England Rugby Player

Hi Kim
There is a team photograph showing Jimmy Peters in the Bristol Football Club archive at Bristol Record Office. bro@bristol.gov.uk

Jimmy Peters was the first black man to play rugby football for England. Born in Manchester in 1879 to a West Indian father and English mother, he moved to Bristol in 1898. As a child he was a circus bareback rider until his father was killed by a lion and he broke an arm, causing him to be abandoned by the circus. At 15 he was captain of his orphanage rugby team in Greenwich and at 21 playing rugby for Bristol. Later he moved to Plymouth where he played rugby for Plymouth Albion and also was selected to play for England. Eventually he moved back up north, playing at Barrow and St Helen’s but retired to Plymouth where he died in 1954.

Re: James Peters - first Black England Rugby Player

Thanks very much for the reply. Not been on for a few days so apologies for not getting back sooner.

Will try to get down to see the photo as soon as I can.

Your information is very much appreciated.

Kim