Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ambrose Lane, Bristol

In 1851 my ancestor was living in Ambrose Lane, Clifton (Hotwells). I can't find it although I have found an Ambrose Rod. Does anyone know if there is still an Ambrose Lane?
I'm in Australia so can't go looking!
Hope you can help.

Mary

Re: Ambrose Lane, Bristol

Could this be Ambra Vale by any chance.It runs from Hotwells Road up to Clifton.

Mary,

Up until the late 1860's, Bristol directories list Ambrose Lane but not Ambrose Road, from around 1870 they list Ambrose Road but not Ambrose Lane. Perhaps the lane was enlarged and re-named around this time.

Kevin.

Hi Kevin

Thanks or that. It looks as though Ambrose Lane has been 'subsumed' into Ambrose Road.

Regards
Mary

Hi Mike
Thanks for your email. I actually sent a reply on the 30th October but on the 2nd November it came back to me as Undelivered Mail so don't know what happened there. Anyway, I have done a cut and paste from my email - which is below.

Thanks for the reply. From what Kevin says it looks as though Ambrose Lane became Ambrose Road. My brother was there in 2002 and took a photo of Ambrose Road, and he thought the same.
My ancestor was Philip Tanswell and his wife Susan Ann Pollard. Yes, I did find them in the 1851 census and have the direct line down to the present day. Actually there is a bit of a puzzle as according to the information I have Philip (born 1798), the son of Philip Tanswell and Esther Wind, was married in 1812 when he would have been only 14! The only child I can definitely find is Thomas Philip Tanswell born in 1835 - and there must have been other children but they haven't come to light yet.
I was born in Bristol and came to Australia in 1970.
Good to hear from you
Regards
Mary