Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forgotten Bristol

A friend of mine at work is preparing a “Forgotten Bristol” presentation for some local school kids.
She asked me if I had heard of an old road which may have been called something like “Billy Bragg(s) Lane”. Not sure about the spelling.
I’m fairly sure she wasn’t referring to Bragg’s Lane near Old Market Street because she believed that this lane was somewhere near Trenchard Street.
She wanted to know if the lane ever existed and if it did, why it was named so, and when it disappeared.
Can anyone offer any info?
Thanks very much!

Re: Forgotten Bristol

Philip,

Early Bristol directories list:
Bragge's Court, Bedminster
Bragge Lane, near the Turnpike, Lawrence Hill

Could your friend be thinking of Johnny Ball Lane ?(Maudlin Street to Lewin's Mead) not a million miles from Trenchard Street.

Kevin.

Re: Forgotten Bristol

Thanks Kevin.
Oddly enough, when I admitted to her that I didn’t know Billy Bragg lane, I also mentioned Johnny Ball lane as a possible candidate, but she felt that this wasn’t the one. But, you never know! Ill quiz her further on how she heard of it. Thanks for the other 2 suggestions.