Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ALSOP & SON BROADMEAD

Hello, recently my husband had been renovating a house and under the floorboards he found a flyer advertising a furniture shop by the name of ALSOP & SON. The address given was 57,58,59 Broadmead and 47 lower union street. It also included that the trams stop outside and that you could contact them by telephoning the public call office 57 Broadmead, and 801. I have spent the last 2 hrs trying to find info on this shop - it is interesting and i would like to know the time period. They deal in ponds,shillings and pence. Do you think you could help me learn more? many thanks.

Lynda.

Re: ALSOP & SON BROADMEAD

Lynda,

In 1853 Uriah Alsop was trading as a cabinet maker in Church lane, Old market, in 1856 he was at No.16 Milk street, trading as furniture broker, cabinet maker, upholsterer, and patent mangle dealer. In 1861 he was at No.59 Broadmead, and by the 1880's the company had also taken over Nos.57 & 58. They were at this address until at least 1906, they were not there in 1928, these shops were situated somewhere between the Greyhound pub and Union street, and I think were all bombed in the war.

Kevin.

Many thanks for your reply. It is unusual for my husband to take any notice of things like this, i am sure we have all found old newspapers at some time. Anyway, i thought i would take note and find out about the place. Will now have to look up to see where this Uriah name comes from - certainly doesn't sound English!!

Again, thanks Kevin.

Ok, Kevin.... No your not going mad and replying to yourself. I should have put my name, sorry!!

Fab to read this.

Just found out my great, great grandfather was Uriah Alsop.