Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sid Lewis, who had a fruit and veg shop on Bristol City Centre

I Wonder if any readers can remember a wonderful character called Sid Lewis, who had a fruit and veg shop on Bristol City Centre right on the end of Baldwin Street?He had a wholesale yard in Milk Street, too. He was operating right up until the 1960's and had lots of friends who were also great characters.

These included Alan Trott (who I'm told is still alive aged 102), Dave Sawin ("Chocolate") who died a couple of years ago, Len Bryer ("Josser") the bookmaker and the late Bert Nutt, who was also bookmaker who took photos on the Centre, mainly of tourists.

They would be invited to hold a monkey to be photographed with. Other associates were Bill Nicholls, Stan Honeyfield and George Rogers.

Would any readers, I wonder, have any photos of Sid or of any of these other great characters?