Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Herbert Sealley,Harbour Master or not?

I'm trying to find out any information about my Great-Grandfather Herbert Sealley.
According to family source's he was a Harbour Master at Avonmouth,but i dont know how to find out.
I have heard from a man working at the docks now and he very kindly said he would ask all the older members of the workforce if they remember,but as it was probably between 1900 and 1940's,i dont hold out much hope.
He was awarded the OBE for war service and was also giving the Freedom of New Orleans,once again,i cant find out anything.
He was married to Alice Stuckey and they had 3 kids,Murial,Harold and Vera. I know Vera married Frank Brown of Bristol.(One of the Brown Brother's to do with the ships)
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks

Re: Herbert Sealley,Harbour Master or not?

Rae,

Kelly's Directory of Bristol 1944.

Herbert Wilfred Sealley, assistant dock superindendant. docks office, Avonmouth. Telephone No. 81.

Place of residence, 218 Henleaze Road, Westbury-on-Trym. Telephone No. W.O.T. 67466.

Kevin.

Rae,

Same entry in Kelly's 1950, except by then he was the dock Superintendant.

Kevin.

Thanks for letting me know,thats great that i know at last.
Many thanks to both of you

Hi,

I am Andrew Brown, Vera's son and Herberts grandson.
we have photos and press cuttings of Herbert, and still have the key to New Orleans.
Would like to find out more about my unknown relative out there