Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
doctor foxes brislington

my mother worked for a mary fairweather in service i think it was in Brislington Hill mary took in any overflow people staying at dr foxes dose anyone know what dr foxes was

Re: doctor foxes brislington

Brislington House, near Bristol an elite house purpose built by Edward Long Fox.

It was one of the earliest purpose-built private Quaker asylums in the country, 1804-1806, and influential on the structure of later county asylums." The asylum was built by Edward Long Fox, to replace Cleve Hill.

It remained in the ownership of the Fox family for many years. The building is still standing in Brislington today.

"Dr Fox's" as it became known, continued to be run by the Fox family, who became great benefactors in the village, for nearly 150 years until it closed in 1952. In 2001 it was developed into luxury flats and renamed Long Fox Manor.

Re: Re: doctor foxes brislington

Thank you very much for the information you sent me i found it very interesting thank you again, could you please tell me where you got your information from many thanks