Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stapleton Poor Asylum

I am searching for people of the name Dunscombe, I found them on 1841 census. I then wanted to find out more about the Asylum.

Re: Stapleton Poor Asylum

Bristol Lunatic Asylum

Erected 1861 at Blackberry Hill, next to the Fishponds Workhouse in the parish of Stapleton
Glenside Hospital, also known as Bristol Borough Lunatic Asylum, Stapleton Lunatic Asylum, is next to Blackberry Hill Hospital, on Manor Road and was built about 1850. This hospital was for people with mental health and psychiatric problems.
During the War, the Asylum was utilised as Beaufort War Hospital
From 1948 it was administered by the Bristol Hospital Management Committee, under the South Western Regional Hospital Board.

From 1974 the administration was reorganised and became the Frenchay District Health Authority.

Glenside Hospital was closed in 1992, and the buildings are now used by the University of West of England.
Glenside Hospital Museum
Glenside Hospital Museum is located in a church in the grounds of the Glenside Campus. The museum has recorded the history of the Glenside Campus site and has many interesting exhibits on display.

The museum is usually open Wednesday and Saturday mornings, 10:00 until 12:30. Admission is free although donations are gratefully received. Please telephone John Pimm to arrange a group visit:
+44/0 117 965 2688