Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pountney Pottery History

Some of my HODGSON ancestors were potters in Bristol and lived in the Temple area of Bristol. I have found some history on the net about the history of the POUNTNEY company (and one name on a list- which indicates they prob worked for them) , but are there any records anywhere of their employees or apprentices. Is there anywhere I can look to purchase a piece of the 1800 pottery/ceramics as it would be nice to own a piece from the era they worked there.
Liz Hodgson - Oxford

Re: Pountney Pottery History

Recommended Book
Pountney, W.J. Old Bristol Potteries, J.W. Arrowsmiths Ltd. Bristol, 1920, reprinted by E.P. Publishing., East Ardsley, Yorkshire, 1972

Bristol Apprenticeship Books Bristol Records Office Ashton Bristol.

Recommended Website

The Story of Bristol Pottery and Porcelain
http://www.kalendar.demon.co.uk/

Rectangular Lidded Box decorated with Scenes on The Thames during the Great Freeze of 1895 in very good condition no damages made by Poutney & Co Bristol Victoria Pottery Temple Backs Bristol England Height; 4cm Width; 13.5cm has makers mark to base; Bristol Founded 1652 England Impressed; 335 Script to Underside of Lid; Scenes from the Thames during the Great Freeze of 1895 The costumes depicted are authentic reproductions of those worn at that period by the Bristol Pottery Bristol England.

As Listed on eBay UK

I have now bought a Pountney lidded dish and the stamp on the base of dish and lid say ; Modern Bristol Academy -Shape reg M808728 -
POUNTNEY & C?L? (? looks like little heart with line under) "waterlily' - made in england. The pattern is white with blue design.
Any ideas what age this might be? Could it be a fake ( but I like it anyway)
liz Hodgson

C.1934 - C.1940 made in Fishponds very common mass produced for department stores and hotel chains. Academy refers to the shape. Under-glaze Transfer Print with Floral Border with tiny stylised Flowers.
Rare marks you should look out for "Kitchen-Ware Bristol Long Line" "Old Bristol Delft" "Old Bristol" "Bristol with a pair of crossed swords" All above are 1770 - 1791 marks and worth a high price.
At least 40 different back-stamps were used by Pountneys between 1905 and 1969 Plus many with pattern numbers like yours. The company were also one of the biggest manufacturers of high-class sanitary products outside of Stoke-on-Trent.

The name Pountney had been associated with Bristol Pottery since the early 19th Century, but the firm took great pride in being the oldest pottery manufacturer in Britain, with the 17th Century Pottery at Brislington. The Temple Back Pottery in Bristol was one of several enterprises producing tin-glazed earthenware. This later became known as The Bristol Pottery until it went bankrupt in 1872. Two London solicitors Patrick Johnston and Mr. Rogers who presided over the bankruptcy later purchased the company and moved from the Temple area to a new built pottery behind Temple Meads Railway Station on St Phillips Marsh a distance of about one mile from the Temple Pottery. In 1869 Pountney & Co. Ltd was formed and later in 1900 the pottery moved again this time to Fishponds.

The only reason that Stoke-on Trent is associated with mass produced potteries is because of easy access to China Clay. But the finest China Clay in the country was to be found in Cornwall or Devon and this is one of the reasons why Pountney located the company from Bristol to Cornwall. Later to become known as Cauldon Bristol, in 1971 it was purchased by A.G. Richardson & Co. Ltd from Stoke-on-Trent manufactures of Crown Ducal Ware. And so ended 300 years of history in Bristol.

Thanks for all the info.
Liz

Hi, I have a large jug/pitcher cream in colour and stamped on the bottom it says, "Bristol founded in 1652 england, incorporating a crossed sword. It also has a mark, I can't work it out..could be a K or maybe an F or even an H..I have researched it a little and it seems it is from the Pountney Pottery.

HI
I was just investigating an old bright blue willow pattern gravy bowl dated 1683 with the bristol ware Pountney & Co ltd Bristol stamp and dated 1683. I can send you a photograph if you would like to see it. I havnt as yet had it valued.
Regards
Cheryl Duggan

My email address is cherylanned@hotmail.com