Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grocery shop in Dowry Square,Hotwells and Philpotts Jewellers,Clifton

I am researching my family tree and have found out that my Great grandmother owned a shop in Dowry Square,Hotwells around about 1915/1920. Her name was Jenny Caie and her family,The Blewetts,from Cornwall set her up in business after she returned from Canada in 1915. Her husband,Alex (Sandy) Caie was a professional football player. He was killed in the US. This is when Jenny returned to England. Apparently,Jennys family disowned her because of her drinking habits. Does anyone know where this shop was situated in Dowry square or where I could find any information? Also my great great granmother lived somewhere at The Colonnade. Her name was Langford and she was married to someone related to the owners of Philpotts jewellers on College Green. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Re: Grocery shop in Dowry Square,Hotwells and Philpotts Jewellers,Clifton

The only reference related to your qestion is 1901/03 A.S.Caie 35/0 1
Signed from Millwall, Alex had a weight problem that wouldn't go away. The players called him 'Big Sandy'. He moved to Brentford and then to Motherwell.
number of matches : 43 (from 1897-02-20 to 1903-01-03)

Hi there, I own one of the houses in the colonade and have a few of the names of families that lived there. Also, I am more than happy to ask my neighbours if you could supply me with her married name. I assume she lived in the Colonade with her husband?! Hopr this is of some use. Regards

Hi Abbi,
Thanks for your reply.
I have found out that my great grandmother,Mary Grace Langford (nee Blewett) lived with her husband,Edwin Langford, at No 8 St Vincent Parade.
I believe that he had premises at the Colonade. He was a clock and watchmaker.
Also would you happen to know where the church,St.Andrew-the Less stood?
They were married in this church as were other members of the family.
Does anyone know who holds the church records now?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Elaine

Hi, that definately makes sense as the Colonade was a row of shops. Mine was a stationery shop once but not sure if it was anything else. I will have a chatwith my neighbours. With regards to the church I will check my documents from when I purchaed the house. A chancel search had to be done in case a church previously owned the land however, I have no records of a church. Leave it with me and i will see what i can do. If you are Bristol based or in Bristol one day feel free to come and have a look inside the colonade houses to get a feel for where your family lived, I am in number 1. Regards Abi

Thanks Abi for your reply. The information you have given is very iteresting.
Apparently, the church stood in Hotwell Road/Love street. There is a rank of shops on the right,just past Dowry Square and this is where it once stood.
Also, Edwin Langford owned houses on College Green and Prince Street. He had several children with his first wife and married my great grandmother in 1901.
Her daughter, Jennie Caie(Blewett) ran a Grocer shop somewhere around Dowry Square and also lived at No.1 Albermarle Row.
I live in Bedminster Down in Bristol and the veiw from my front door is the Clifton suspension bridge.
I would love to come and look at the houses in the Colonade so I will take you up on your offer.
Thanks again

Elaine

Hi Elaine, you are more than welcome. They are great houses and three of us have done loads of research into what shops they were. Mail me when you want to pop over and I will see if any of my neighbours are around. It would be great if we could figure out which one you family had their shop in. Kind regards, Abi

Thanks Abi,

If it,s ok , maybe when my daughter breaks up for the october school holidays?
Several months ago when I walked along the Colonade,a man who has bought one of the houses invited us in whilst he was renovating it. We were amazed but we couldn't really get a real feel of it. I thought the rooftop area was amazing though.
I will be in touch soon,

Elaine

Hi there,

SOunds like you met Sean. He bought his house a few months before I did. School holidays will be just fine. I work in London most of the time but tend to be around during holidays to look after my niece and nephew. Regards ABi

Hello Abi,
I am sorry I haven't got in touch sooner but I have been ill with a virus.
I still hope to come and visit when it's ok with you.

I will be in touch soon.

Elaine