Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Kingswood coalfields

Hi,if there is anyone who has information relating to the history of the Kingswood coalfields.I would very much like to have information concerning the actual directions of individual seams,if there were connections between coalfields.Thanks ,regards Tony.

Re: The Kingswood coalfields

Tony

sorry its been so long to find the information about the Kingswood Coalfields.

A new story is under construction.

Its hard work trying to find the right information.

regards

Paul Townsend

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi,if there is anyone who has information relating to the history of the Kingswood coalfields.I would very much like to have information concerning the actual directions of individual seams,if there were connections between coalfields.Thanks ,regards Tony.

Re: Re: The Kingswood coalfields

Tony,

I am interested in the Kingswood coalfields myself, but I don't have much to add. However, I am getting a little info as I read "The Map that Changed the World," by Simon Winchester, which pretty much begins with the coalfields in Glocestershire and Somerset. Individual mines had local names for seams, such as the Kingswood Toad. There's also a nice geological map showing the Coal Measures in that area at: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/Geology-Britain.htm. I am following along a bit as I read the book.

I'll add to the general query and ask if anyone knows of the Dunscombe Pit and where it was located.

Many thanks--

Tim

Re: The Kingswood coalfields

In answer to Tim Bryant:
Dunscombe Pit was situated just off Dunscombe Lane, the pedestrian only way to the side of the newest Speddwell School buildings. All the information you need is in the book; The Bristol Coalfields by John Cornwell. Also of interest is the house at end of the rank of shops in Dunscombe Road, it is still, I believe, called Belgium House. Belgium Pit was according to the aforementioned book at the other end of the rank of shops where it meets Speedwell Road. One of the only remaining 'relics' of the Speedwell Pits is a stretch of high wall in Whitefield Avenue off Speedwell Road just below Speedwell Fire Station. In late 1950s there was a gorse covered slag heap of quite some size to the back the fire station, a track ran from alongside if from the then new fire station and came out by Argyle Hall Chapel. Numerous pit buildings remained then.