Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pountey Dinner Service

Correction to the information left by Judith Stevens re Pountey Dinner Service.

Not Burlingham, but Burlington

Sorry for error
Judith

Re: Pountey Dinner Service

Dear Judith

I have checked my records on Pountneys Pottery of Bristol. The Burlington shape dinner-service was designed by J.F.Price with overglaze print. And was produced by the factory in 1939.
One of the most significant events in the history of the Fishponds factory was the appointment of J.F.Price as consulttant designer in 1933. Mr Price had been art directer at the Royal Cauldon factory in Stoke on Trent for many years. The Royal Academy exhibition was held at Burlington House in 1935. Pountneys named your dinner-service after that building. The Burlington design had solid rings as bases another design from the same year was Academy.
If you send me your email address i will send you a photograph of the Burlington service from an old Pountneys catalogue.

Regards Paul Townsend (History Buff)

Dear Paul,
I was most pleased to see your reply and appreciate your offer to send a photo; which I'm pleased to accept.
I don't use the service very often, as I feel rather protective about it. My grandchildren might not be so grand if they broke it. My parents must have saved hard to aquire the set, sadly there is no teaset with it. The gold outer bands show their age now on the plates, although the tureens are in very good order, as are the giant meat serving plates.
I think my email will be on this reply, but if not here it is. jjstevens@ingham22.fsnet.co.uk.
Thank you again.
Judith

Dear Paul (Townsend)
Thank you for your email with attachment today.
We may have a minor mystery on our hands, as the photograph is not of the china I have.
I will make an attempt to email you a photo tomorrow, I haven't entirely mastered emailing photos, my last one to my cousin took 23 mins.to download. I'll have to swallow my pride and ask the husband to assist. I will do so tomorrow.
Regards

Judith Stevens,
a family history buff. An exageration.