Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Pauls

I was born and lived for 24 years in St Pauls Bristol. We lived in Clement Street just off Newfoundland Road. I have been searching for photos of Clement street and the streets joining Clement street, Elton St and Moreton St but they seem to be difficult to find. Can anyone help me? I have been toying with the ideal of making a web site on St Pauls and have in fact started doing a rough draft, but I need photos and material before I can go any further.

Re: St Pauls

Derek at bygonebristol@aol.com should be able to help you. Although there is a fee for his books of photos they are very good and he has a massive collection.

Hi Mark
Thank you for the info I will visit the site and see if they can help.

Hi Mark I have tried to make contact with the address you gave me but it is not recognised. Could you write the address as it should be written. It is written at the moment as an email type address which I have tried and have also tried juggling it around as a web address but no success.

Bygone Bristol collection can supply photographs of old Bristol and suburbs.
Any illustrations in Bygone Bristol books are available as a black/white photograph normally supplied in an
attractive brown mount.
Postcard Size Print (3.5' x 5.5') - £3.00 each plus £1.00 post and packing.
Print Size 12'x 9' - £7.00 each plus £1.00 post and packing.
Print Size 20'x 16' - £30.00 each plus post and packing.
The photographic record of Bristol and its suburbs, contains about 20,000 unpublished photographs,
Bygone Bristol can also undertake to search for any particular requirements for any disticts of Bristol, or the areas around
http://www.bygonebristol.co.uk/books.htm

recommended book "Images of England St Paul's and St Werbururgh's" by Veronica Smith Tempus Books
ISBN 0752411276 This book is packed with photographs old and new there are photographs of Elton Street, Clement Street and pubs such as The Bay horse and the British Lion off-licence. check it out you will find this book in most good Bristol bookshops or Tempus have there own website

Hi Paul
Thank you for the information I will try it out. Congratulations on this amazing site, you have done a brilliant job. It reflects the hard work and dedication you have put in to build it. I only have one problem, when I get on to the site I spend hours viewing its contents nuch to the depair of my wife. Being in the older age bracket I remember so much of the old Bristol prior and after the war and your site brings back parts that I have forgotten about. I thank you very much for that.

Hello I am researching the st,pauls area of Bristol,can anyone help i am looking for Bolton street,not sure of spelling
Can anyone help

Thanks Jo

Hi Jo
I have an old map of Bristol before all the changes took place. It is possibly 1940s 1950s. The only Bolton Road near St Pauls is in the Horfield area.It is a turning off Gloucester Road just before Somerville road travelling towards Bishopston. The only other one is spelt Boulton Road and that is Kingswood area. Turn off two mile Hill Road into Victoria Street and first turning right.

Hope this will be helpful.

Roy Day

My father was born in St Pauls in Penn Street in 1923 he went to Castle Green School and has many detailed memories.
Also if you are still have difficulty in finding old prints try Memories in St Nicholas Market - they sell old prints of Bristol. Good Luck
Ann

Hi Ann
Many thanks for your responce. I have tried the stall at the market you mentioned but was not successful. They told me it was one part of Bristol that was very hard to find photos for and would be interested if I was lucky enough to find some. It might be that I was trying to be to specific with the part of St Pauls I was interested in.
I know Penn street and the surrounding area well. A lot of that area was bombed and destroyed along with my street Clement Street. The church at the top of our street was destroyed and our houses were severly dammaged. I was born in 1935 so that would put me a few years younger than your father, about 12 years.
My father was well known for his knowledge of birds and helped out at Walt Eagers famous bird shop in the Horsefare, before owning his own shop Pets Corner at the top of Gloucester Lane.
St Pauls holds many memories, it was a far cry from what St Pauls is to-day and the people although many were not well off were the salt of the earth.

I would appreciate any further information you might be able to supply me.

This is a great site to visit but the one fault I find is once you are logged on you cannot switch off and the time just flies by much to the annoyance of my Wife.

Roy Day

Hi everyone. Very interesting topic for me as I have a copy of a will from my Great Great Grandfather, which shows that he owned quite a few houses in St Pauls at the time of his death in 1892. Streets include William St, Thomas St, St James St and Grovesner Rd.

Would love to see some pictures of this area from that time. Do you reckon they'll be covered in those books mentioned?

Does anyone know when these houses were built?

There are many photos of some of the streets you mentioned on this web site. If you explore the site and look at the photos displayed I am sure you will find some of the streets you mentioned.
Roy Day

Fascinating phots. Thanks.

One in particular that caught my attention was a photo of Castle Street, with reference to a business owned by W H Vowles.

My Gt Gt Grandfather had a Gas Oven business initially in Castle Street, and then Narrow Wine Street.

I have in my posession an advertisement for his business, which includes some testimonials on the bottom. One of them reads: "February 11th 1870. Sir,- Having had one of your Gas Cooking Stoves in use the last 18 months I can bear testimony to its cooking capabilities both for cleanliness and economy. Yours respectfully W H Vowles."

So I liked that picture!

Hello, this is all very interesting, as my father was born and raised in Wilson Street in 1913, I myself was brought up in my very early years at 16 Bishop Street but with increased work opportunities at Avonmouth the family then moved out to the estates.
Iv'e very few photos passed down including my grandfather in the street celebrations of VE Day. Good luck in the search.

Regards for now,

Greg Fry

Hi Gregg
I know Bishop Street very well. It was one of the streets we used to wander around when we were young. My mates and I were in the choire at St Pauls Church and was regular members of the Sunday School. It was after church or Sunday School that we wandered around the streets in particular a garden that had fruit trees in them where we would help ourselves and then get chased by the owner. There was also an outdoor license shop half way along Bishop Street owned by a family named Bulloocks. The two young sisters were members of the Sunday School. I was also a member of the Church Lads Brigade in St Pauls Church. It may be possible I met you or your dad during that period. Any recolections?

Roy Day

Hello again Roy,
Sorry for the delay Iv'e been trying to contact my only surviving aunty who now lives in Woodford S Glos, she will know a lot more about what you mention as I was only 4 yrs old when we moved out. However, I can fondly recall a few of the anecdotes my father would spin to us in the fiftees as kids and much later in his seventies. Of the characters there were
plenty, I'll certainly contribute to your site if you find it useful? I had another aunty who lived in St Agnes Mrs Gladys Hunter she was there from 1937 until
the late 90s. I'll close for now but look forward to
hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Greg

Some of my paternal ancestors settled in St Pauls, moving from Winterbourne in the early 1840's.

My G'Grandfather Joseph Roberts was born in Back Fields in 1870, married while at Magdalene Place in 1894 and died in Lower Ashley Road in 1946 having lived in Wilder Street, Richmond Road, 250 Newfoundland Road and Wilson Place.

Amongst his trades, he worked as a tanner and I believe there were three or four in the area. Does anyone have their names? His younger brother James worked as a Clothes Salesman at the factory in St Paul's. Does anyone know the name of the factory?

Thanks for such a great website.

Regards

Phil Lines

I am interested in finding out about the Cawley family that lived on Thomas St+St James and also his father that lived at Francis Place, My great grandfather had married Sarah Pulling from West Street and died in 1873 a year after my grandfather William was born,Sarah died in 1877 and my grandfather ended up in he Muller home for 7 years before being returned to his maternal grandmother, Elizabeth Pulling at the Whitson Almhouse, and then my grandfather border the SS Ontario in 1888 with 11 other lads and headed for Canada Is Cawley a common name in Bristol these days? My grandfathers name was Samuel Charles and he had one sister and two brother, Olivia, William and James, just wondering if there are any descendants of that lot, thanks for any assistance, have a good one and be safe out there,