Return to Website

Memories of Bristol England Forum

If you have a question or know the answer to a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you! 

This is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on the Bristol area. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.

Leave your messages here and come back later for the response.

Memories of Bristol England Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
barefistboxers

Dear Sir/Madam

I am trying to find information with regards to one of my uncle's who fought in madison square gardens in America in the 1900. He was a bare fist boxer who's name was Regan he appaently was one of the few to ever do this. Unfortunatley this is the only name I have been given. I would be most grateful for any infromation you may be able to give me if not thanks anyway

Yours sincerely

Maureen Johnston

Re: barefistboxers

The only mention of the name Regan found is from a book "Bare Fists" by Bob Mee.

In the Coventry Standard of 13 July 1889, a sober court report recorded that at Solihull,

‘William Shingleton of Dudley and Charles Regan of Tipton, pugilists, were summoned for creating a breach of the peace at Hall Green on the 12th of June by engaging in a prize fight. Regan was also summoned for assaulting Pc Hinman, who found them at Hall Green Racecourse.

Several persons were on the field and around the gateway there were several hansom cabs. There was a ring formed in the field and in the centre were the two defendants dressed in fighting costume.’

Regan’s assault charge arose from his having ‘shook his fist’ in the Pc’s face Both were bound over for £10 to keep the peace and Regan was fined £1 plus costs for the assault.

Mostly, of course, fist fighting went on well away from the prying eyes of the police and even further away from those who would write about it.

Re: barefistboxers

Hi Maureen,
I will ask my Grandad (Ron Winter) if he can remember the name Regan, he used to be a bare fist boxer and apparently had quite a reputation around Bristol and in the States, probably a bit later than 1900 tho but it's worth a try as names and stories get remembered!