Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Index > General Discussion > Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board > Re: Best Live Band (not with Alvin) Top 3
Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

« | | 1 | 2 | | »
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best Live Band (not with Alvin) Top 3

Rory Gallagher/Taste
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd

1) Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers...Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion...
2) Jethro Tull doing Thick as a Brick...Sam Houston Coliseum...
3) Rolling Stones...Reliant Stadium...

All circa 1969/70 at the L.A.Forum:
Jimi
Ike & Tina
Otis Redding with either The Stones or Tina, I forget.

Janis & Big Brother in a small club in Hollywood probably 1968. Killer!

Email  

You know, we may have met at one of those Forum gigs

Email  

Actually, Rory should be number one on the list. I'm just a sucker for a great front man. Jim Dandy, my son talked to him after a gig, and now he's a pro! Gives credit to the Dandy man. And nobody knows the band LSD, but Stanley, the front man, who looked like Buddy Holly just crawled out of his grave! Great singer, writer, keyboardist, he just did it all! And he reeked!! He was filthy dirty, he slapped me on the shoulder, and the stench is STILL on my jacket! This is 2012, the concert was in 1995!

Email  

Dave, Did you see TYA in 1970? If so I was the hippie chick in row 3 swooning over Alvin and continually falling into the lap of the guy sitting next to me. I was so ripped I don't remember anything else about that night.

Email  

Robin, I think Otis Redding died in 1967

Peace,
DLM

I saw Black Oak Arkansas at a "love-in", may have been Griffith Park. Those were such fun times. Again-- too ripped to remember anything except that they were very good.

Email  

Then I saw him in 67 -- **** did I dream it? He sang "try a little tenderness" and "I've been loving you too long." But wait -- I was not allowed to go out at night in 67.

Dale, I think one of my best memories from back in the day is a figment of my imagination. I am freaking out! I wonder what other memories are only hallucinations of my substance fried brain???

Email  

Ahh, I think I was being crushed at the front. Hard to breathe, but I didn't care! And I didn't take advantage of a ripped hippie chick that night, so I didn't see ya!

Email  

He was touring when his plane went down, so you may have seen him right before his demise. So don't freak out, you probably saw him in '67.

Email  

Ah Dave, he didn't take advantage , he was very nice about my falling on him. He was only a little reluctant to let me up. :)

Email  

I won't freak but I do suspect my memories are faulty because I was so sure I saw him with either the Stones in '69 or Tina around that time. What a shocking development this turned out to be. DLM has single-handedly killed off one of my happiest memories. LOL.

Email  

He died on tour in Dec. 1967. The Stones had a mega U.S. Tour in 67. You might have seen him then . I remember it very well, as I came to Long Beach, Ca. In June, '67. Sometime either before or after my arrival, the Stones played So. Cal. Hope this helps your freak out!

Email  

Whew. I'm beat from being out running around all day on short sleep. Still trying to decide which hippie-era concerts other than Alvin were my faves. He WAS my fave! In the meantime, here are a few more recent performances: 1. Paul McCartney, Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines, Iowa, October 2007. 2. Robert Plant, Veterans Memorial Auditorium, Des Moines, Iowa, "Manic Nirvana" tour, mid-'90s. 3. Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan (with the DLR Band, but forget DLR, if at all possible! I went to see them!), Cedar Rapids, Iowa, late '80s.

Email  

Thanks Dave, it does help. I remember that my friend and I were in the very last row at the Stones concert. since you know the forum, you know we had to have binoculars to see anything. My computer is packed away and I am using the one-finger typing ordeal on my Iphone to write this. So, I am just going to hope Otis and the Stones played together at the Forum in '67, but I will check it out when I return. I need to stop talking about seeing Otis, if I never saw him. .

Email  

Wow, I'd forgotten that's how Otis died. Such a shame. I loved his songs. How many musicians and sports figures have died in plane crashes? Too many, all told.

Quote: Dave May.
He was touring when his plane went down, so you may have seen him right before his demise. So don't freak out, you probably saw him in '67.

Email  

I would love to have seen Janis and Jimi live, not to mention the Doors, and never did. All my friends here went to a Janis gig in Des Moines the summer of '69, but I was out of town. Hers was a flame that blazed so incredibly brightly before it died. I still miss her.

Quote: Robin
All circa 1969/70 at the L.A.Forum:
Jimi
Ike & Tina
Otis Redding with either The Stones or Tina, I forget.

Janis & Big Brother in a small club in Hollywood probably 1968. Killer!

Email  

Aha, another Jethro Tull fan! I loved them! Got a zillion albums of theirs...the last I think was a Xmas album within the last several years. I love the English folk music modalities in many of Tull's songs. Ian Anderson's strident vocal tone suits that style very well. I recall when Robert Plant had some sort of little feud going on with them at some point in the '70s and called them "Jethro Dull" (giggle) in *Melody Maker*, though I can't call to mind why. Tsk tsk. Seems kinda silly, Plobert Rant! ;-)

Quote: Glenn

Email  

Steppenwolf 1969 Carousel Theater

The Faces 1969 or 1970 Boston Common

ELP, Pictures at an Exhibition Tour..

Email  

I always had to laugh when I heard Jimmy Page's line about Tull's live album "Busting Out". He said "it should be called Bore 'em at the Forum"

Email  

1.Johnny Winter with Rick Derringer
2.The Blasters
3.Stevie Ray -Rotterdam very stoned but incredible fast

Email  

I can't narrow it to three, but these spring to mind in a virtual tie and no particular order:

Janis Joplin w/ Full Tilt Boogie - what a shame she died, because she finally had a band that could make the stage BURN like she could. Scr*w Cosmic Blues and Big Brother.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - WITH Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines - the best version of one of my favorite southern bands

The Allman Brothers - WITH Duane - my other favorite southern band

The Who - with a HEALTHY Keith Moon

B.B. King - mid 70s at a small, smokey, sweltering club in Reno, NV. The crowd was overwhelmingly black and were cool with an underaged white kid hanging out drinking, flirting with older women, and listening to Lucille testify. B.B. was in his prime with one hot mofo of a band backing him. A true blues legend in the type of environment all great blues should be heard in.

The list may change hourly as I think about it. So many great shows - such a bad memory!

Email  

Hi Dave!

Iggy Pop in Boston

The Who Quadraphenia Tour Madison Square Garden

Neil Young/Crazy Horse Fillmore West Neil's 40th B Day

Rory Gallagher Boston

****..that's four

Email  

Hey Don, all those shows sound great but as a kid in a the small club seeing BB that's gotta be tops.

Email  

Yeah, it was pretty heady stuff - totally out of my white middle-class suburban environment. I stumbled across the gig totally by accident, went into the club in the afternoon, and told the bartender I wanted to see B.B. King. He was pretty amused and had some customers look out for the white boy and keep me out of (too much) trouble.

Email  

Wishbone Ash 1973 London Alexandra Palace. Maggie Bell Glasgow 2009 Jethro Tull Edinburgh around 1972

Quote: Laurie
Aha, another Jethro Tull fan! I loved them! Got a zillion albums of theirs...the last I think was a Xmas album within the last several years. I love the English folk music modalities in many of Tull's songs. Ian Anderson's strident vocal tone suits that style very well. I recall when Robert Plant had some sort of little feud going on with them at some point in the '70s and called them "Jethro Dull" (giggle) in *Melody Maker*, though I can't call to mind why. Tsk tsk. Seems kinda silly, Plobert Rant! ;-)
Quote: Glenn

Laurie...Oddly enough, I'm not really that big of a Jethro Tull fan, and even I find it strange that one of my best live show memories comes from a group that I've only seen twice and have only a couple of their recordings...Thick as a brick with the right combination of smoke, drink and friends, was just a magical thing for me during that time in my young life.....And I agree with Don, it's impossible to rank a top 3 or top anything...I saw many of the bands listed on this thread, and they were all great shows...TYA shows will always be the cream of the crop for me, but being reminded of the Humble Pie, Black Oak shows etc, I smile just thinking about them...I always wondered if ELP regretted having Humble Pie open for them, cause Humble Pie had the room "ON FIRE" when they were done, and unlike opening acts today, they came back out for a couple of encores...They had to!...The crowd was going nuts!...

I saw Wishbone Ash, I think also in 1973, at the Des Moines Ice Arena opening for Taj Mahal, the act I'd really gone to see. The entire show was a catastrophe from start to finish. WA launched into the same opening song three times in a row, and at the same place each time, their power blew. Then Taj came out in African garb and proceeded to play a quiet opening number on a little thumb harp, which caused some rude and restless audience members to start calling out "Play the blues!" Admittedly I myself was eager to hear him play stuff like "Stagger Lee" and "Candy Man", but kept silent out of respect for artistic prerogative. There was plenty of time for the other songs later-- or so I thought. Taj took offense at the noisy blues-inciters, cut the African harp number short, and stalked off the stage, never to return. That was all, folks! Later that night I got reeeally sick on something I'd eaten at some point from the concessions stand while waiting for some actual music to start happening, and was violently ill well into the next day. Definitely NOT my fave concert!!

Quote: Graeme
Wishbone Ash 1973 London Alexandra Palace. Maggie Bell Glasgow 2009 Jethro Tull Edinburgh around 1972

Email  

P.S. Anybody else have any concert horror stories?

Email  

Yes, Mike Oldfield at Edinburgh Castle playing Tubular Bells in it's entirety. it may be clever witting and all that but I was bored out my skin. just to make matters worse the warm up act,a lady from Canada I think was dreadful and was booed off the stage.

Go Sox!,,

Email  

I would pick Janis with Full Tilt Boogie as one of my favorites too, Don....but oddly enough one of the worst shows I ever saw was the Allmans in 1969 or 1970. Van Morrison opened and never even managed to get the audience's attention; Delaney & Bonnie came up next and were on fire, except for when Delaney got pis.sed at some people calling out "Clapton" and stopped playing to yell at them, and then the Allmans...who I loved then and love now - were so dam*ed tedious I actually fell asleep!

Quote: Don B.
I can't narrow it to three, but these spring to mind in a virtual tie and no particular order:

Janis Joplin w/ Full Tilt Boogie - what a shame she died, because she finally had a band that could make the stage BURN like she could. Scr*w Cosmic Blues and Big Brother.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - WITH Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines - the best version of one of my favorite southern bands

The Allman Brothers - WITH Duane - my other favorite southern band

The Who - with a HEALTHY Keith Moon

B.B. King - mid 70s at a small, smokey, sweltering club in Reno, NV. The crowd was overwhelmingly black and were cool with an underaged white kid hanging out drinking, flirting with older women, and listening to Lucille testify. B.B. was in his prime with one hot mofo of a band backing him. A true blues legend in the type of environment all great blues should be heard in.

The list may change hourly as I think about it. So many great shows - such a bad memory!

Yikes, Graeme! Even READING the title "Tubular Bells" makes me paranoid I'll get the melody stuck in my head for the next seven lifetimes!! Eek! Anything but that! Quick, Laur, put on some Alvin! ;-) Hmmm...the lady from Canada CAN'T have been Joni Mitchell... I can't imagine her getting booed off any stage, unless it was at the Annual Convention for the Tone-Deaf, Clueless, & Aesthetically-Challenged! Right, Dale? ;-) (EDIT: Just teasing you for your recent criticism in another thread of Joni's guitar-playing, by implying you'd agree with me here that she'd never get booed off the stage... NOT implying you'd belong at such a fanciful convention!!) I wonder who it was? What style of music was it?

Quote: Graeme
Yes, Mike Oldfield at Edinburgh Castle playing Tubular Bells in it's entirety. it may be clever witting and all that but I was bored out my skin. just to make matters worse the warm up act,a lady from Canada I think was dreadful and was booed off the stage.

Email  

I loved the Allmans WITH Duane too, Toni and Don. Their style was distinctive and unique. I used to have the LP with "Whipping Post" et al (their first?) but somehow someone else ended up with it along the way. Wanna get it on CD now I'm reminded of it. As for Co-Queen Janis (HER ruling partner was Co-Queen Joni, in my view, albeit admittedly an odd couple!), I didn't mind Big Brother & the Holding Co. . Their guitarwork was scarcely the world's greatest, but to me it was fun for being (on record, at least) more or less the epitome of a certain generic hippie guitar stereotype, ha. Ah, those were the days! I feel young again just thinking about them and hearing the music in my head. There just isn't the wide and fabulous array of superior talent and even brilliance in the current crop of musicians on today's scene. So much jaded, narcissistic, self-impressed, mediocre, unmelodic, overblown, heartless, commercialized, mechanical-sounding crap, with a handful of exceptions. One of them as I see and hear it is Jack White (born Gillis, as you Scots over there may be aware). He has so much raw and electric energy, he just goes ballistic and stratospheric when he rocks out. Watch the video online of his Grammy Awards show performance with his ex Meg of "Seven Nation Army" from several years ago. Talk about on fire! Check out his new CD *Blunderbuss*, especially the cut "Sixteen Saltines", which he performed on SNL several weeks ago. Can you tell I'm a fan, gang? ;-) I could fill all three slots of the non-Alvin concert construct with him, actually, come to think of it!! But only the non-Alvin portion. In other words, no one touches the Maestro, even now. Especially now.

Email  

Gotta admit I'd add Grace Slick to the "queen" list Laurie. And now that I think of it, one of the best shows I ever saw was the Airplane at the Fillmore East a week or so after the Kent State murders. The lady was furious and the band's rendition of "Revolution" that night was almost a real call to arms!

I'd almost forgotten your affinity for Jack White! Glad to hear it's still going strong...and that he hasn't surpassed Alvin!

Yeah, Gracie does belong on the Hippie Rocker Queen list, Toni, you're right. What a peerless set of lungs-- and what a gorgeous pure icy tone! Yowee! And yeah, as to my "affinity" for the Jackmeister, let's just say it's going strong AGAIN. Admittedly it got sidetracked in other directions for awhile. Eh bien, c'est la guerre, et aussi c'est la vie! ;-)

Quote: Toni
Gotta admit I'd add Grace Slick to the "queen" list Laurie. And now that I think of it, one of the best shows I ever saw was the Airplane at the Fillmore East a week or so after the Kent State murders. The lady was furious and the band's rendition of "Revolution" that night was almost a real call to arms!

I'd almost forgotten your affinity for Jack White! Glad to hear it's still going strong...and that he hasn't surpassed Alvin!

Email  

Nuh-uh. Go Yankees!! And they'd BETTER get going, dagnabbit!!

Go Sox!,,

Email  

Yeah, what was up with all that, anyway?? Guess I don't have that Tull album, but I can't imagine it as boring!? Ian Anderson wasn't exactly an insipid performer, and Martin Barre was never any slouch on the guitar!

I always had to laugh when I heard Jimmy Page's line about Tull's live album "Busting Out". He said "it should be called Bore 'em at the Forum"

Email  

Stones at Knebworth '76 ; Nightmare
But Lynyrd Skynyrd blew them anyway

Why was the Stones gig a nightmare, Jeremy? That wasn't the one when people got stomped to death, was it? Wasn't that at Altamont? It's all a blur...

Quote: Jeremy Jackson

Email  

Why was the Stones gig a nightmare, Jeremy? That wasn't the one when people got stomped to death, was it? Wasn't that at Altamont? It's all a blur...

Laurie, I meant soundwise, plus wait was very long

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/76-Knebworth-festival.html

No mention of Santana...

Ah, OK, I get it. Sound problems at large venues are the worst. Too bad. Did you get to see the Stones another time or times in (a) better setting(s)?

Laurie, I meant soundwise, plus wait was very long

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/76-Knebworth-festival.html

Email  

Hey , Jeremy. I recall way back in the day some of my friends saying Santana was disappointing live, but I don't remember why.

Email  

I like Jack White too, Laurie. Have you seen " It Might Get Loud" ? It features JW,The Edge and Jimmy Page. I t has been criticized but I liked it. The part that featured JW was pretty cool.

Email  

I haven't seen that yet, Brian, but I was just recently thinking about it, so will catch it ASAP. Looking forward to it!

Quote: Brian
I like Jack White too, Laurie. Have you seen " It Might Get Loud" ? It features JW,The Edge and Jimmy Page. I t has been criticized but I liked it. The part that featured JW was pretty cool.

Email  

Dave, May I submit an entirely new list given that one of my choices is very likely a false memory? I remember that I loved the Jimi , Janis, and Tina concerts but honestly I don't remember the concerts themselves.

So, although my list will probably make some people laugh and some people cringe, the following shows gave me great pleasure. These were all about 15 years ago:

Sepultura
Ozzie
Pantera

Email  

Pardon my addressing you directly again, Robin, but I'm a bit curious about something, and I'm just no good at pretending somebody's not in the same room, so to speak. I must admit, I was surprised by your rock concert list of Ozzy, etc. from 15 years ago. When you joined the board awhile back, you said you had quit listening to rock & roll over 40 years ago when you discovered classical, and had only recently gotten back into Alvin's music as the exception. Am I mistaking something? Hey, it's fine with me however much rock music you listen to when, and by whom, but what you wrote originally seems at odds with your latest. I admit, I'm the sort of person who likes to clear up any discrepancies and misunderstandings, and I'm still hoping we can move past our recent upset. Just wondering, if you care to clarify!

Quote: Robin
Dave, May I submit an entirely new list given that one of my choices is very likely a false memory? I remember that I loved the Jimi , Janis, and Tina concerts but honestly I don't remember the concerts themselves.

So, although my list will probably make some people laugh and some people cringe, the following shows gave me great pleasure. These were all about 15 years ago:

Sepultura
Ozzie
Pantera

Email  

Aside from TYA in 1970? A total void, but here are a couple that came close to that magic night:

Best gigs:
1) Tina Turner, the "What's Love" tour 1994 - Gothenburg, Sweden. Fantastic, tight backing band, perfect sound and Tina almost blew the roof off the building with hew razor-sharp voice.

2) Dire Straits, 1992 - Gentofte Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark. Sold out, poring rain, everyone was happily dancing and singing along anyway and in return the band gave us 3 hours of pure music magic. Love was in the air that night - love between a group of great, hardworking musicians and their fans.

Worst gig, ever:
Uriah Heep, around -73 or -74. The band played and sang out of key, and sometimes even seemed to to play different tunes. Not their most sober performance, to put it mildly - the singer almost fell off the stage a couple of times. Think they were booed off stage after 3-4 songs, which was 3-4 songs too many..

OH, YOU POOR, POOR, GIRL... . Ozzie? Nelson? Or Ozzy Osboune?

Email  
« | | 1 | 2 | | »