Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Index > General Discussion > Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board > Re: What's with Toni and her dislike of Mark Farner??
Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What's with Toni and her dislike of Mark Farner??

LOL!! Touche', Dale! :-)

Quote: DLM
who's guitar went out of tune the most onstage?
Alvin's 1959 Gibson
or
Mark's 1967 Messenger
?

Peace,
DLM

Email  

P.S. And I resent like hell the fact that some people compare Farner with Alvin. Yuck. There is great, and there is mediocre. Guess which one is great.

Wow, talk about tin ears!! There's NO comparison, in THIS universe, anyway. I don't recall anyone comparing the two-- or if I ever heard or read such a thing, I've blanked it from my memory in sheer horror! Tee hee.

Quote: Toni
P.S. And I resent like hell the fact that some people compare Farner with Alvin. Yuck. There is great, and there is mediocre. Guess which one is great.

Email  

Just a question : Are Mark Farner and Mel Gibson friends ??

Mr. 601, There is a Grand Trunk Railroad . After some confusion, no lawsuit, they changed the name after dumping their shyster manager. The "Phoenix" album was the first time they changed to Grand Funk. C'mon, you play guitar (quite well I've heard), and you didn't "borrow" any guitar tricks ? Really?

Email  

Quote: Dave May.
Mr. 601, There is a Grand Trunk Railroad . After some confusion, no lawsuit, they changed the name after dumping their shyster manager. The "Phoenix" album was the first time they changed to Grand Funk. C'mon, you play guitar (quite well I've heard), and you didn't "borrow" any guitar tricks ? Really?

Nope Not from Farner anyway!! but back then I was on vacation in Saigon did have other things on my mind!

Email  

one Guys Thoughts of Farner

Having been fortunate enough to see the partially re-formed Grand Funk (Mark and Don but no Mel) open for ZZ Top in 1982, at least I can say I sort of saw the Mark Farner version of Grand Funk.

They came out and kicked right into a smoking version of Foot Stomping Music. And it was all upward propulsion from there!

I thought they not only held their own just fine against the Top, but I actually thought they were the better set that night.

I had a chance to see the "Farnerless" lineup for free at the Ohio State Fair a couple years ago and passed. Too "Spinal Tap" for me....

Today At The Fair:

Puppet Show 2PM

Lamb Judging 3PM

Grand Funk Railroad 4PM

Email  

601, tell me about it! Recon! Semper Fi!

Email  

Ok, I am certainly no fan of Grand Funk and even less of a fan of Mark Farner. However:

1. I liked some of Mel's bass playing and there were a few of his bits (among a whole lot of other stuff by a whole lot of other people) I used to warm up before shows.

2. I caught the Mark-less (Mel & Don + others) Grand Funk at a county fair two years ago. Not a bad show, particularly because the replacement guitarist and other non-orignal personnel were pretty darn good - certainly better than the original band. I would call it enjoyable. They didn't ring my balls, but even Alvin doesn't ring my balls. That takes someone of the disstaff gender in my case - but to each their own.

However, they are NOT even close to the Alvin-led TYA any more than the current TYA is even close to the Alvin-led TYA,

Email  

Very well done Eric!

Quote: Eric
Just a question : Are Mark Farner and Mel Gibson friends ??

So true, so true!

Email  

But who played it better, in or out of tune?

Quote: DLM
who's guitar went out of tune the most onstage?
Alvin's 1959 Gibson
or
Mark's 1967 Messenger
?

Peace,
DLM

I think Mel Gibson was done away with and Mark Farner took his place. Think about it, has anybody seen those two together in one place?

It would explain Mel's ridiculous rants and trashed career . . .

Email  

Uh-oh, Sixy and Dave. There I go spouting off again. Am I hyperbolizing in my old age? Perhaps GFR were better live than on their first LP that I (and/or my bro) had? Maybe they improved later? Maybe I just never "got" them? Maybe I'm full of it? Whatcha think, Toni?? ;-)

Quote: 601
one Guys Thoughts of Farner

Having been fortunate enough to see the partially re-formed Grand Funk (Mark and Don but no Mel) open for ZZ Top in 1982, at least I can say I sort of saw the Mark Farner version of Grand Funk.

They came out and kicked right into a smoking version of Foot Stomping Music. And it was all upward propulsion from there!

I thought they not only held their own just fine against the Top, but I actually thought they were the better set that night.

I had a chance to see the "Farnerless" lineup for free at the Ohio State Fair a couple years ago and passed. Too "Spinal Tap" for me....

Today At The Fair:

Puppet Show 2PM

Lamb Judging 3PM

Grand Funk Railroad 4PM

Email  

I'll give everbody a hint: The Answer starts with an "A" and ends with an "lvin". . .

Email  

Mega-chortle!! :-)

Quote: Don B.
I think Mel Gibson was done away with and Mark Farner took his place. Think about it, has anybody seen those two together in one place?

It would explain Mel's ridiculous rants and trashed career . . .

Email  

Actually, shouldn't the Puppet Show have top billing?

Email  

First GFR concert. 1968, Long Beach Auditorium (long gone, put up Long Beach Arena),.Opening act, Tucky Buzzard, second, GFR They blew the place up! It was an hour (at least, we left), till Humble Pie was to play. 601, If you had been there, you would understand. (just like 'Nam) Nes pa? ( that's French for you know?)

Email  

Dale, you know the answer to that question. Before Alvin went to the stop tailpiece instead of the Bigsby, break a string , the rest go out of tune. Farmer's Messenger had a better designed tailpiece. He broke an e string, and finished the song still in tune.

Email  

I dunno about that - I saw Alvin break strings on two separate occasions - he simply had Chick take a solo while he installed a new string then played a clever little passage to get things in tune before continuing.

Email  
Re: Gettin' In Tune

Of course I have an ear for music.........

Don, I saw him perform that stunt many times.
(usually after Help Me or I Can't Keep From Crying)
99% of the audience wasn't even aware of it.
Both with the 59 Dot Neck/Bigsby & The trapezoid tail piece 335.

Dave, I think maybe it was more due to the way the necks were set.
And I think I remember The Messenger had a spruce top.

Toni, as you know Alvin always makes faces.
I can really tell by his expressions when he is po'd & out of tune.

NO problems with the set up on the red Gibson 335 he uses nowadays.

Peace,
DLM

Re: Gettin' In Tune

I agree, most people didn't at even catch on that Alvin had broken a string or that he was checking his tuning.

And yep, Alvin's facial expressions - if you were close enough to see him clearly and were paying attention - pretty clearly showed when he wasn't happy about something.

Usually it was the guitar going out of tune, monitor problems (at the University of Pacific in Stockton particularly), or somebody in the audience acting like a horse's rectum, but a time or two I sensed some frustration with one or more of his TYA bandmates, despite his efforts to mask it and carry on like a professional. Later my impressions were independently confirmed - there was some intraband tension/incidents on the evenings in question.

Email  

601, when Craig Frost joined on keyboards, I bailed!

Email  

all you guys are sooo smart with dates and history and such!! don't know where I was!! was soo stoned during that time, I don't know WTF happened!!

Email  

Dave, you really started something here!! I'm keeping out of it.....

Email  

Well, to tell the truth, things are pretty boring around here. ( Blazing Saddles)

Email  

Farner breeds horses, doesn't he?!

Email  

Boring?? Huh, it sure hasn't been boring around here lately for me! Besides, energies will always naturally ebb and flow. Unless you personally want to keep us all at a fever pitch of non-stop entertainment every minute, tee hee. Hey, dude, go for it!! How 'bout a questionnaire? I LOVE questionnaires!! ;-)

Quote: Dave May.
Well, to tell the truth, things are pretty boring around here. ( Blazing Saddles)

Email  

I don't want to hear about Farner's sex life especially if it involves horses . . .

Ok, Laurie, 1st question:

If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be?

I'd be a Naughty Pine . . .

Email  

Perhaps some animosity exists as a result of shows GFR was second bill to TYA. Farner was fond of saying that he "blew (the headliner) out of the water" or "kicked (the headliner's) a$$" whenever GFR was opening for other bands. Hearing that time after time during a long tour could become quite annoying...

Okay, let's explain seriously. It isn't that I think Farner and/or GFR are awful...I just really think they were greatly overrated. Musical taste is personal and Farner and band never did it for me. And what I really don't get, and what fries me just a bit, is that Farner is often mentioned as an equal of Alvin's...and it just ain't so. Years ago, there was an internet poll for the greatest most underrated guitarist - Farner came in first and Alvin was a distant second. really?!

LOL, Don! But enough about Narc Farmer, already! So...how many naughts ya got in that pine o' yourn, eh, Mr. Tree? Well, well, if I were younger, I guess I could still be a cherry tree. Then again, a tulip tree at any age is always good, heh heh. Some might go ape for me as a monkey-puzzle tree. Some might just stay puzzled. I'd sooner not be a mere fir piece. So I think I'll be a graceful willow tree, but not a weeping one, if it's oaky with yew. :-)

Quote: Don B.
I don't want to hear about Farner's sex life especially if it involves horses . . .

Ok, Laurie, 1st question:

If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be?

I'd be a Naughty Pine . . .

Email