Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Music!

He was a smart man . . . obviously.

Email  

ha...I always think of the 1929? movie Freaks....wedding celebration when someone says "one of us".
Anyone who has seen it will remember the scene...unna gabba.

But physicist's get paid better, live longer and aren't looked down upon........I dont think anyone every said "Albert Einstein, when are you going to quit being a physicist and get a real job!"

Email  

Quote: CJ Topes
But physicist's get paid better, live longer and aren't looked down upon........I dont think anyone every said "Albert Einstein, when are you going to quit being a physicist and get a real job!"

Hey CJ. Actually your message made me feel sad for all the artists, musicians, poets, painters, dancers and creative people of the world who struggled for their art against all odds and either resigned themselves to obscurity or were damaged beyond repair.

Sorry to be such a downer, but your message brings back a lot of sad memories.

Fortunately for me I have no creative talent so I have never been up against it. I am just a fan.

Not so sure scientists have faired much better than musicians:

Copernicus died in 1543 and was never to know what a stir his work had caused. It went against the philosophical and religious beliefs that had been held during the medieval times. Man, it was believed (and still believed by some) was made by God in His image, man was the next thing to God, and, as such, superior, especially in his best part, his soul, to all creatures, indeed this part was not even part of the natural world (a philosophy which has proved disastrous to the earth's environment as any casual observer of the 20th century might confirm by simply looking about). Copernicus' theories might well lead men to think that they are simply part of nature and not superior to it and that ran counter to the theories of the politically powerful churchmen of the time.

Two other Italian scientists of the time, Galileo and Bruno, embraced the Copernican theory unreservedly and as a result suffered much personal injury at the hands of the powerful church inquisitors. Giordano Bruno had the audacity to even go beyond Copernicus, and, dared to suggest, that space was boundless and that the sun was and its planets were but one of any number of similar systems: Why! -- there even might be other inhabited worlds with rational beings equal or possibly superior to ourselves. For such blasphemy, Bruno was tried before the Inquisition, condemned and burned at the stake in 1600. Galileo was brought forward in 1633, and, there, in front of his "betters," he was, under the threat of torture and death, forced to his knees to renounce all belief in Copernican theories, and was thereafter sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his days.

Email  

Quote: Lynn

Not so sure scientists have faired much better than musicians:

That is an interesting observation, Lynn. My son's new in-laws are both scientists and they had it good.

I have heard a lot of stories about how cutthroat the world of science can be. Either publish something brilliant or end up being just another working stiff living pay check to pay check.

I am not knocking working stiffs, I hope to be one myself, as soon as the economy improves.

Geez, thats the last time I attempt any type of sarcastic humor on this board!

Email  

Well, heck, I thought it was pretty funny!

Uh Oh! I thought it was funny too. Keep the sarcastic humor! I also started thinking about the struggling scientists out there currently and in history-- living from one grant to the next, and putting their necks on the line to present controversial research. But, never stop some good sarcastic humor!

Email  

Hey C.J. -- don't go by me, I get moody easily. Sorry.

Quote: Toni
Well, heck, I thought it was pretty funny!

Hi Toni, it WAS funny. I already said I was sorry for being such a downer. Sorry to you as well as to C.J.

Live, love, laugh

Scientist !!! are not the only creatures that puts their necks on the line everyday!! Chickins do too, soo ya don't need brains to make that donation to da world,at least ya get ta eat da chickin

Email  

Email