Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Index > General Discussion > Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board > Re: cradle rock joe bonamassa - with Rory Gallagher's Strat
Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: cradle rock joe bonamassa - with Rory Gallagher's Strat

It was the real one, Dale. He thanks Donal and Daniel Gallagher for loaning him the strat. Know what you mean, though. Last time I saw Rory, '92 @ the Roxy in LA. Slash played Nadine, Little Queenie, and Bullfrog Blues. Slash got smoked, but he calls it one of his all-time career highlights! As would you or I!

Email  
Re: Slash

There's another one who got lucky.
Myself, he's over=rated, although he did alot of tribute to Rory Gallagher.

What's funny to me is the "only" 80's guitar player to name Alvin Lee as an influence is Ritchie Sambora.
He has a blonde ES335 that used to belong to Alvin.
He played Park West in Chicago in Joe Cockers band before joing the big hair New Jersey band

Peace,
DLM

Re: Slash

Don't forget Bob Deal. I mean, Mick Mars! Also, not from the '80's, but Joe Perry always spoke highly of Alvin. But then again, how many guys name Django, McLaughlin, Alvin, Rory, as influences? When my dad told me his influences were Leon Rhodes, Les Paul, and Django Reinhardt, I thought he was pullin my leg! Django Reinhardt? He sounded like my dad made the name up! Then he played some of his albums! And Leon Rhodes, he played lead for Earnest Tubb! Earnest freaking Tubb! And he was basiclly a jazz player in a country band. But it worked!

Email  
Re: Leon Rhodes

Yeah I remember Joe Perry's comments. I didn't mrntion him, cuz he was a 70's guitar player.

I remember Earnest & the boys would jam outside the record store in Nashville after a gig at The Grand Old Opry.

Leon Rhodes

Peace,
DLM

enjoying the commentary

Dale, just listened to E. Tubb's & Texas Trobadours live @ Cain's ballroom, OKC. One of my dad's favorite albums. The second solo Leon takes on Steel Guitar Rag is one of the best be-bop jazz solos ever! Drivin' Nails in my Coffin, The Women Make A Fool Out Of Me, etc. Great ol' tunes! Country, not my favorite genre, but those cats played their @sses off! What a great time I had in 1980, when my band opened for Derringer @ Cain's, then opened the next night at the OKC Civic Ctr. For Derringer & Foghat. Cain's still had chicken wire in front of the stage! Totally cool!

Email  

Master shredder and classical pianist Tony MacAlpine also acknowledged Alvin's influence in an early 80's interview.
Check out HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS, if you want a taster.

Email  

While he may not have cited ALvin as an influence,there was a story I read in musician mag years back of Jimmy Page being awestruck and mesmerized watching Alvin play. I had a friend that worked for a record compmany that told me of Alvin opening up for Jeff Healy and as always Alvin blew the place away--he told me that Jeff was so blown away that he supposedly said "how am I supposed to follow that?!" I believe Tony Iommi also has expressed reverence for Alvin and remember reading something complimentary from Leslie West.

Email  

Page came up with some great riffs and notable solos on record, but could be kinda sloppy or lazy in the soloing live. Whereas Alvin-- never. From what I ever experienced, Alvin's a much more disciplined and consistently exciting live guitarist. Plus, Page was kind of a weasel on the side. Alvin may have been a bit of a wolf in his day, but hey, which of those two animals is the preferred totem symbol, or sometimes ends up on family crests? :-)

Quote: Armand
While he may not have cited ALvin as an influence,there was a story I read in musician mag years back of Jimmy Page being awestruck and mesmerized watching Alvin play. I had a friend that worked for a record compmany that told me of Alvin opening up for Jeff Healy and as always Alvin blew the place away--he told me that Jeff was so blown away that he supposedly said "how am I supposed to follow that?!" I believe Tony Iommi also has expressed reverence for Alvin and remember reading something complimentary from Leslie West.

Email  

I have spoken to Leslie West about Alvin...and he has the utmost respect and appreciation of him as a person and a player.

Armand, I read an article where Alvin told Tonni to tone down the evil, black magic metal sound he was using for the "Black Sabbath" album. Just goes to show what mental giants we are all are! Oh well, so much for their carreers in A&R.

Email  
Re: BS

I remember Black Sabbath opening for TYA in the early years of Black Sabbath.

Then I seen The Alvin Lee Band open for Black Sabbath at The International Ampitheatre in Chicago.

TYA gave Black Sabbath their first big on stage break.

Peace,
DLM

Re: BS

Back in the day, Sabbath was a very proficient blues band! I think Alvin just wanted the boys to avoid the failure that surely awaited them in their heavy metal fling! I'm sure he's never been happier being so wrong !

Email  
Re: BS/ My only Black Sabbath concert!

Summer of '72, heard the gig had plenty of seats available at the Hollywood Bowl. Put five bucks, a half-tank in my Ford falcon, got there barely in time, paid my $2.50, Ozzy passed out during the third song. A refund was offered, but I just went home with a very nice girl from Laguna Beach! A very well-spent $7.50!

Email