Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: new releases

P.S. Still wondering about the below, Robin, if you happen to recall...

Quote: Laurie
Whose versions did you hear of "Liebe ist ein Geheimnis", Robin? Just curious.
Quote: Robin
Quote: Laurie
... Perhaps I am still up for one more go-round, at that...

I just listened to a couple of different versions of the song on Youtube. It does awaken the old yearnings and longings.

Alvin Lee awakens feelings that are too hot to handle -- or, at the very least, too hot to mention.

Email  

Toni: Happy to hear you enjoyed the show. yes JB is riding high, I don't know how he maintains the pace.With two bands and think he has produced six cds in two years along with two dvds.he plays here May 5th,I plan to attend .his live show is so powerful,with a deep rich sound.with strong band alongside.

Email  

Hi Laurie : you are right about different strokes many people often say to me ,what are you listening to ,all that loud guitar.In Joe I see and feel a real passion for the music, song,and his guitar. He is a very good singer and his band is tight, especially Tal Bergman/drummer.His influences are broad and covers other artist works often and well.joe,s not the cutest cat nor does he have a sexy swagger on stage. But the man can play guitar. the most recant dvd is live at the beacon theater,cds would be dust bowl and dont explain w/ Beth Hart. As someone said for the real deal see him live

Email  

Robin, Laurie, JB's a very talented player, but lacks the charisma and self-effacing good humor that an artist like Alvin has. When you can't put your finger on it, that's usually what it is. It can't be learned or taught, either you have it, or you don't.

Email  

The proverbial hornet's nest! As has been said, no-one ticks everyone's boxes. Joe is regarded as one of the hardest working guitarists out there. Not only does he insist on regular tours with his own band, but is involved with so-called supergroup Black Country Communion. (Not particularly my scene.) His recording with Beth Hart is another example of his desire to encompass additional musical genres.
By the way, no, I'm not his manager!! Still the best "LIVE" show I've seen for a long time...

Email  

Agreed. I thought JB was one of the best live shows in recent memory.

Email  

Alvin's got more charisma, for sure, but it's also the structure and content of the music itself, I think. That's what I can't quite figure out how to put. What I've heard so far from Joe B. hasn't been stylistically memorable to me. Nothing stuck in my head afterwards. I didn't experience the unique and distinctive personality of melody, rhythm, and note selection that I do with players I like and love. Perhaps his music isn't idiosyncratic enough for my taste. Hey, I'm a big Jack White fan, if that says anything. (And he's got a new album coming out in a couple of weeks, *Blunderbuss*, btw.) Now, it may be if I listen further to Joe B., I will find that his style becomes more apparent and grows on me. We'll see.

Quote: Dave May.
Robin, Laurie, JB's a very talented player, but lacks the charisma and self-effacing good humor that an artist like Alvin has. When you can't put your finger on it, that's usually what it is. It can't be learned or taught, either you have it, or you don't.

Email  

Try listening to SLOE GIN or DUST BOWL, as a starter! O.K. so he always wears a suit. But not EVEN Alvin looks sexy to me. Must be a guy thing...

Email  

Paul - what are you trying to buy? I may have extra copies.

Quote: paul w.
Robin :: No at this point It keeps rejecting my card on this order only !all is not lost I shall resubmit again,fore I am burning for the 75 dvd!!!You know I saw Alvin in the 70s a couple of times in Indy But can hardly recall a moment,other than the the location,I suppose I can only be to blame , since at the time my priorities were not in order ,and do you suppose they are today. Tonite , My priorities are rockin to storyville ,Great band !! Miss you Stevie.

OK, Tony. Will try those. :-) And yeah, must be a guy thing, except that in my experience, guys who aren't gay would rather be shot than openly admit they can tell when another guy is sexy. Which they obviously CAN, or certain prison and oldtime sailor behavior of normally hetero men would be/have been different, heh. Whereas most straight women I know, myself included, do feel comfortable acknowledging another woman's sexiness. It doesn't mean we want to jump their bones. We can merely appreciate it aesthetically. Hmm. Must be a gal thing. ;-) But hey, teasing aside, Tony, I'll grant maybe you really *can't* tell Alvin is sexy. But I'll bet you think some of his music is! Right, Dale? ;-)

Quote: Tony McKiernan
Try listening to SLOE GIN or DUST BOWL, as a starter! O.K. so he always wears a suit. But not EVEN Alvin looks sexy to me. Must be a guy thing...

Email  

Thanks, Paul! Will check out the CD with Beth Hart. :-)

Quote: paul w.
Hi Laurie : you are right about different strokes many people often say to me ,what are you listening to ,all that loud guitar.In Joe I see and feel a real passion for the music, song,and his guitar. He is a very good singer and his band is tight, especially Tal Bergman/drummer.His influences are broad and covers other artist works often and well.joe,s not the cutest cat nor does he have a sexy swagger on stage. But the man can play guitar. the most recant dvd is live at the beacon theater,cds would be dust bowl and dont explain w/ Beth Hart. As someone said for the real deal see him live

Email  

Hi Laurie, well OK maybe Alvin was - and still is - a good-looking guy :) but I ain't never been inside with any oldtime sailor types! But I have witnessed many signs of female "catiness" when they think a more sexy woman appears in the room. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - or in the arms of the holder...
Still think JB is a breath of fresh air. He even pinches Alvin's idea of playing famous rock riffs during the encores, as most of his followers are old gits!!

Email  

Toni: I've been trying to purchase the new release of the dvd TYA live in 1975 through amazon.And for some reason it is not taking my cards on this order only.I've made other purchases on the same accounts ,but this one doesn't want to take.I will try again sometime,but it seems to slip my mind lately.Thank you for the offer,I don't have much of TYA or Alvin on dvd. When someone posted Silly Woman Blues and Ain't got no Whiskey I ripped them to my hard drive, made cds and played them over and over for a week.I only wish Whiskey was of better quality.Sorry it took so long to respond to this post, sometimes I don't go back on the board. thanks Toni!

Email  

Catty women are pathetic and a real pain. My own women friends tend not to be inclined to such hissy-fit behavior, praise Bast. Meeeow!! quote=Tony McKiernan] ....... But I have witnessed many signs of female "catiness" when they think a more sexy woman appears in the room. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - or in the arms of the holder...
......... [/quote]

Email  
Re: catty women

My girlfriend once told me that although women liked me none of them were happy to see me walk into the room when men were around. I still treasure that compliment. Those days are long gone. :)

It is definitely ugly and nasty the way some woman treat beautiful and sexy women. The worst I have witnessed is older, unattractive women being vicious to pretty, younger women.

I delight in the beauty of all women and do not feel an ounce of envy. I think it is because I had my share of male admiration back in the day. But, I do feel compassion for those unfortunate women who have never experienced the sweet thrill of male attention. I try not to judge the catty women too harshly because they know only too well that they are the undesired.

Email  

OMG --- do I sound catty or what?

I also caught myself in a big lie --- I am hella jealous of any woman who ever attracted Alvin's eye and especially his heart.

Just keeping it real.

Email  

;-)

OMG --- do I sound catty or what?

I also caught myself in a big lie --- I am hella jealous of any woman who ever attracted Alvin's eye and especially his heart.

Just keeping it real.

Email  

Hi Laurie. I didn't forget. Truthfully I am too lazy to get out of bed to turn on my computer
so I can copy and paste the URL' s from YouTube into a message for you. I parked myself in my bed with a pile of books and my Kindle and my IPhone and I am not budging til tomorrow.

I do recall that they were at the top of the list on YouTube and they were black and white. One was a tango version and the other was by a blonde in the Marlena Deitrich style.

I will get on this tomorrow.

Edit: I am reading the funniest book ever. Tears of laughter have been running down my face all night --- "Right Ho, Jeeves"

Email  

P.G. Wodehouse!! I LOVE P.G. Wodehouse! No wonder you're laughing till you cry! I almost made a reference to him here the other day when Don was referring to his surname, Blankenship, coming from the older English "Blenkinsop"-- a name straight out of the world of Pelham Grenville, or "Plum", himself! As for the "Liebe" song, the version by the non-Marlene Dietrich blonde might be Lalle Anderson. Also sultry, but with a better singing voice. ;-)

Hi Laurie. I didn't forget. Truthfully I am too lazy to get out of bed to turn on my computer
so I can copy and paste the URL' s from YouTube into a message for you. I parked myself in my bed with a pile of books and my Kindle and my IPhone and I am not budging til tomorrow.

I do recall that they were at the top of the list on YouTube and they were black and white. One was a tango version and the other was by a blonde in the Marlena Deitrich style.

I will get on this tomorrow.

Edit: I am reading the funniest book ever. Tears of laughter have been running down my face all night --- "Right Ho, Jeeves"

Email  

Hi Laurie, I googled Lalle Anderson but came up with a Lale Anderson, but nothing in the song you mentioned.

below are the two I listened to. If you can recommend something you like better, please send me the link.

The tango version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDm6XgGnPMk

The Marlena type version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2hHZ-965EI

Yes, that's her...or she! ;-) I miswrote Lale Anderson with a double-l, as it can be spelled that way and is pronounced "LA-leh", but that's who I have doing the song on a CD of music from old Berlin night-life. "Marlene Dietrich" is the correct spelling, though her first name is indeed pronounced "Mar-LAY-neh". I don't do much with Youtube so far, but I'll dig out the CD. Also will put you in touch with my music soon off board...sorry for the delay.

Hi Laurie, I googled Lalle Anderson but came up with a Lale Anderson, but nothing in the song you mentioned.

below are the two I listened to. If you can recommend something you like better, please send me the link.

The tango version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDm6XgGnPMk

The Marlena type version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2hHZ-965EI

Email