Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Index > General Discussion > Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board > Can you guess the Roly Poly Chick's name?
Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Can you guess the Roly Poly Chick's name?

Photobucket

Peace,
DLM

Re: Can you guess the Roly Poly Chick's name?

don't know her name, and don't want to be unkind, but she looks a bit hard. am I showing my petty and jealous side?

Her name is Lorraine - and not hard at all, although I have seen much better pics of her. I think she's quite beautiful, actually. Her claim to fame? Alvin's girlfriend way back in the "early" days, (as she once described herself "Baby" of I'm Going Home to see my baby). She also ran the original Ten Years After fan club under the pseudonym Vicki Page. Oh, and she's also the one who made the trousers he wore at Woodstock!

But gee, Robin, it's okay to react like a girl...Alvin has that effect on women!

I never in a thousand years would have guessed it was Lorraine, who is much more beautiful than that picture. I was thinking it was Chick, not A chick.

Email  

Is this the same girl who was with him at Woodstock? She was wearing one of those towering hats that Janis liked to wear?

I will give her her due that she probably is nice and beautiful, since otherwise Alvin Lee would not have been with her.

My heart is burning with envy because Alvin went home with her instead of me.

One and the same. There are some striking pictures of her online - this one does her no justice at all.

Email  

I did a google search and found a picture of her in profile with Alvin and she did, indeed, look supremely beautiful. Not that looks are important, but, as Keats said, "a thing of beauty is a joy forever".

Re: Ok Toni, who is Suzanne

my mind can't remember.........................
Lorraine was in Groupies?

Toni, are these chicks Lorraine & Suzanne one and the same?

Peace,
DLM

I have some correspondence from Vicky Page from TYAMLS back in the 60's early 70's.

Suzanne was after Lorraine and before Evi. Alvin and Suzanne had a daughter named Jazmine, sometimes known as Jazz. Both Lorraine and Jazz are invovled in recording and managment, both having owned a share in at least two recording studios I can think of right off-hand.

Email  

So Alvin had only a very few, long-time relationships? I like that.

here's a better pic from years ago

Alvin & Lorraine

Peace,
DLM

A beauty, indeed.

I think Lorraine looks just fine in the first pic. I'm sure no one in this thread meant her any disrespect, but-- is it just me, or does she deserve better than to be referred to as "the Roly-Poly Chick" and have her appearance and photos critiqued on here in several posts? Maybe I'm the only one rubbed the wrong way by it-- I'm grieving for my mom pretty heavily today, so maybe that's colored my reaction--but it's what I honestly feel, so what the Holy Hel, I'll share it for whatever it's worth. Now, I understand the word "chick" was rampant in the hippie community, and I just let it roll off me back then, but because of the flip and objectifying vibe many guys give it, frankly, many of us mature women have heard it just a few zillion times too many. Just to clue some of you guys in. And-- so much for not discussing Alvin's personal life on the board, guys, as Toni and I told Robin the other day we don't do! Yeah, yeah, stuff's out there, and Alvin's a public persona and all, and brief references are one thing, but let's not get TOO carried away. ;-)

Email  

Quote: Robin
"So Alvin had only a very few, long-time relationships? I like that."
Curiosity about this is understandable, but I'd say only Alvin and his relationships know for sure!

Email  

Hi Laurie, Sorry you are suffering. I think grief for our loved ones is a tribute to them.

I made a small little joke about the girl sitting next to Alvin in a picture which was more of a burn on myself than the object of my comment. I also made a few remarks which I consider to be a tribute to the beauty of the girl. And finally, I made a comment that I do not think looks are important.

OK, enough self-serving defense from me.

Where I come from, Los Angeles, the term "chick" was in use long before hippies came along. The Beats used it freely as well. It was only when women started to be vocal about not wanting to be called "broad", "chick" "girl" that we learned it was considered to be offensive to many women.

Personally, I like to be called "Baby".

Laurie, I was not expressing curiosity. I was merely making what I consider to be a positive comment about the man.

I have zero curiosity about Alvin's personal life. I was filled with curiosity when I rediscovered him last month, but I have already learned all I wanted to know: He is a great guy.

Haha, Jeremy - nice moves there. When I try to dance it becomes more like a stand-still Joe Cocker version of Zumba fatness..

It's been fun

you know I'm think I'm done posting here. I try to spread some pics & music and get slammed for what I think or say.
I don't need a proof reader or ghost writer or a copy editor or some one to censor my input. I say what I feel & think. It's gotten too stupid lately.
It's been fun,

Peace,
DLM

we all suffer in some way........................
"There's people in pain all around me"

Re: It's been fun

Woah, I think there must be a misunderstanding here, or did I miss soemthing?

Email  

Hey Robin! :-) I wasn't bothered by anything you specifically wrote about Lorraine, and yes, I noticed your comment about looks ultimately not being most important. (Though of course they normally are important in attraction, and to each his or her own in that regard.) I still think L looks perfectly fine in the first pic, which I personally find the more interesting photo, but that's just me. Anyway, admittedly my discomfort was from the overall slightly extended critiquing of her appearance in the thread with frequent usage by the guys of the objectifying, trivializing word "chick", and the joking comparison of her with Chick Churchill, though I understand that was just a bit of clever wordplay our dear Don found too hard to resist, so it's scarcely an earthshaking matter. I admitted I was in a grieving mood, and tried to show myself open to other perspectives, but I'm feeling better and less rubbed the wrong way about the whole thing today. My opinions on controversial or touchy subjects are meant to be thought-provoking, and I see no way to do that without being frank in a manner that sometimes stretches comfort zones. I don't think it hurts guys to learn what words many women find offensive. I've noticed many guys have a lot more trouble taking simple criticism or forthrightness or instruction of any kind from a woman than from a man. That's something I'm just not inclined to cater to. We're all big boys and girls here. So... we can hang in there and get past our misunderstandings and discomforts and learn some things from each other, if we ever want to discuss meaningful subjects and not just chit-chat or shoot the breeze, right? Though those can be fun and worthwhile too.

Email  

Hi again, Robin. "Chick" was definitely pre-hippie and has pretty much been around for ages in ALL parts of the country. Even Iowa had movie theatres, newspapers, and popular books and records back in the day. ;-) Beatniks and hippies, too! Though I'm half-New Yorker, so I've always been lucky to get in on the hotline from the REAL Center of the Universe!!! ;-) ;-) ;-)

".....Where I come from, Los Angeles, the term "chick" was in use long before hippies came along. The Beats used it freely as well. It was only when women started to be vocal about not wanting to be called "broad", "chick" "girl" that we learned it was considered to be offensive to many women. ......"

Email  

Hi Laurie, I hope you are feeling better today.

Quote: Laurie
Hey Robin! :-) ... I still think L looks perfectly fine in the first pic, which I personally find the more interesting photo, but that's just me...

Laurie, if I am not mistaken, you have just extended the conversation regarding an aspect of Alvin's personal life. In addition, you appear to be implying that other pictures of this lovely woman are less than "interesting"!

Just kidding, Laurie. It shouldn't have to be such a minefield to communicate on a board where everyone here appears to be of goodwill and united by our common appreciation of Alvin Lee. Notice I said "our". I already feel part of this lovely community.

As for the relations between men and women -- (non-romantic, non-sexual), I don't differentiate between men who are jerks, or insensitive, or bullies and women who exhibit the same characteristics. Yes, many men resent taking advice, instruction, or orders from women, but those men are ignorant. Plenty of women have difficulty taking criticism or suggestions from authority as well.

Of course, I understand that men have dominated the power structure of our lives to the detriment of women throughout the ages, but I don't let that color my dealings with men as individuals.

I feel very strongly that we women have to give men the benefit of the doubt and the same respect we wish them to show to us.

"My opinions on controversial or touchy subjects are meant to be thought-provoking, and I see no way to do that without being frank in a manner that sometimes stretches comfort zones."

I get it. We all have our way of communicating. My personal style is to tread softly, feel my way around, advance a modified opinion, and ease my way into the meat of the matter once I have prepared the my audience to be open to my ideas.

Having said this.... I think men know which words are offensive to a particular group of women and have decided that they are not going to be told what they can and cannot say. I have had this discussion with many men over the years. It usually comes down to the idea that if a man likes to say "chick" and the women in his life don't resent it, why should he stop because another group of women in the world don't approve of it?

Personally, I could not care less, because I don't find those words offensive at all. It is the attitude behind a word that would be the offense.

This is a controversial subject and I respect your point of view and the point of view of women who feel the way you do. I also recognize that my personal ambivalence can be taken as a betrayal of "the cause".

I hope you know that I am merely adding a different perspective to the conversation and not advocating that we let men continue to walk all over us!

Hey Laurie,

As an idiot young teenager in the Sixties I thought the world revolved around my radio station, KRLA. I thought that was the source of everything cool in life. I knew my favorite musicians came other parts of our country (Motown) and another country altogether but it just didn't compute.

I would love to be a New Yorker. Both my sons live in Manhattan. One lives at the top and one lives at the bottom. But, the cold... I cannot take temperatures below 50 degrees F.

I apartment/dog sit every August, which is my favorite month on the East Coast. My son and his wife take the month to travel in Europe, where she is from. I love the humidity. The hotter the better.

I hope you'll stick around, Dale. I found the photos interesting. I defended your video links and comments about Joe G the other day when someone else criticized them, I felt unfairly. I wasn't slamming you when I let you know I and many other women hate the word "chick". It doesn't hurt you to be told that. If I were slamming you, I wouldn't have written at the beginning of the post that I was sure no one had intended any real disrespect to Lorraine. I felt some things *were* rather disrespectful, but probably thoughtlessly so. And I asked openly if it was just me. You don't have to be perfect. I sure ain't. Hel, no!!! It wouldn't hurt you just to say "I didn't mean to offend anyone", though. At any rate, I say what *I* think, same as you. Nobody's "censoring" you. The only one with the power to do that here is Toni. Disagreeing isn't censoring. It might mean something gets learned or looked at in a new way. There's nothing "silly" about that. Nobody wants you to leave, I'll bet. So I hope you won't. Maybe we'll even learn how to get along better. ;-) And yes, of course we all suffer about things! I don't hold myself to be unique in that regard. I'd only remarked that I was grieving pretty heavily yesterday on my mom's birthday, and maybe that was coloring my reaction to the "chick" thread. It was Robin who brought up the word "suffering" in my direction, which I appreciate, but I'm not special in it. Far from it. And I have so much in my life to be happy about! I hope you do too, but if you don't, I hope that will change.

Quote: DLM3201
you know I'm think I'm done posting here. I try to spread some pics & music and get slammed for what I think or say.
I don't need a proof reader or ghost writer or a copy editor or some one to censor my input. I say what I feel & think. It's gotten too stupid lately.
It's been fun,

Peace,
DLM

Email  

Laurie, In follow-up to my thoughts re the use of offensive words:

I have had my head bitten off for saying Latino rather than Hispanic and for saying Hispanic rather than Latino. My Hispanic/Latino friends tell me it is the same for them.

I have had my head bitten off for saying Black rather than African-American and vice-versa.

I understand the sensitivities.

DLM -- Please don't leave. I always enjoy the pics and music. I skim over the parts that don't interest me as much.

....."Laurie, if I am not mistaken, you have just extended the conversation regarding an aspect of Alvin's personal life. In addition, you appear to be implying that other pictures of this lovely woman are less than 'interesting'!
Just kidding, Laurie." Eeek, I hope you're just kidding. I'm not implying any such thing, in any case. I did also say "but that's just me". And I extended the conversation about "chick" issues, not Alvin's personal life per se, to try to clarify some things in reply to additional posts from others. "It shouldn't have to be such a minefield to communicate on a board where everyone here appears to be of goodwill and united by our common appreciation of Alvin Lee. Notice I said 'our'. I already feel part of this lovely community."
I agree, but I don't think it's a minefield. Not compared to some of the stuff I've heard about and seen others get into online! In any group that's more than tepid tea or garden party chat, there will be some tensions or misunderstandings at times. Toni herself remarked on here a day or two ago that she thought we were doing pretty well most of the time. But then, she actually enjoys my quirky and sometimes contentious posts! She recently professed to find it boring if things get too uncontroversial! So...perhaps I do still have some worth around here.
"As for the relations between men and women -- (non-romantic, non-sexual), I don't differentiate between men who are jerks, or insensitive, or bullies and women who exhibit the same characteristics." I don't ever condone any women who behave badly. But societally there have been more men behaving badly toward women than the reverse. Way more. It's just a fact. "Yes, many men resent taking advice, instruction, or orders from women, but those men are ignorant." Agreed, sista! "Plenty of women have difficulty taking criticism or suggestions from authority as well." Nobody likes criticism, man or woman. I wasn't so much meaning it as an authority issue, although it can be. I personally tend to chafe under authority figures myself, free spirit that I be. All the same, men often can't take forthrightness from a woman that they would from a man. It's a fair observation. Many women have experienced this, not just me.

"Of course, I understand that men have dominated the power structure of our lives to the detriment of women throughout the ages, but I don't let that color my dealings with men as individuals."
I don't either, as I've written on here before. I love men as individuals!
"I feel very strongly that we women have to give men the benefit of the doubt and the same respect we wish them to show to us."
We're constantly giving men the benefit of the doubt, most of us. All the time. Nobody's above reasoned criticism, but all persons deserve fundamental respect. With a handful of exceptions, such as Hitler, Ghaddafi, and their ilk. Just let me at 'em!!

".... I think men know which words are offensive to a particular group of women and have decided that they are not going to be told what they can and cannot say." You know, the word "chick" isn't that big a deal to me most of the time. I'm not crazy about it, but neither do I feel like marching around the neighborhood with signs over it, tee hee. I never tell a man what he "can" or "cannot" say. *I* can say what I like or dislike, and why, however. That shouldn't cause the sky to fall. The men I've been close to as lovers and friends haven't been jerks about such things, in any case. I would have a hard time being close to them if they were. I didn't care for the "chick" stuff yesterday, but I'm not rigid about it. I'll live. "This is a controversial subject and I respect your point of view and the point of view of women who feel the way you do. I also recognize that my personal ambivalence can be taken as a betrayal of 'the cause'."
Oh, I would never be that silly. Women have many causes, not just one. I'm too much of an individualist not to understand that in others. I'm not a formula feminist. I'm not a formula anything, believe me.
"I hope you know that I am merely adding a different perspective to the conversation and not advocating that we let men continue to walk all over us!" Of course! I *never* got such an impression from you, sister. Peace, love, and light to you!

Email  

Laurie, You are a Sweetheart!

I might as well say right now and get it over with that I have had very traumatic experiences with men. The Big Three all happened to me:

1. my father (I won't go into details)

2. my first sexual experience: Date rape. I cried and begged him to stop but he got angry and told me I was "ruining it" for him.

3. more than one boss who thought he could put his hands on me.

I have as much reason as any woman to think men are monsters. But I don't. I think the men who hurt me are the monsters.

OK... that is my TMI for the day.

Time to turn on the music and immerse myself into my fantasy world with Alvin Lee.

EDIT: I neglected to say that my mother hurt me more than all the rest combined. I have a fear of both men and women, but I try to rise above it. I am open and loving but very, very, very careful.

Quote: DLM3201
It's been fun,

Peace,
DLM

Expect soon a name change...Robin & Laurie's blog

Ouch! You saying I talk too much? be honest. I can take it.

Quote: Jeremy Jackson

"Expect soon a name change...Robin & Laurie's blog
"
Is this supposed to be funny, Jeremy? Very well, I'll play along: Oh, you poor long-suffering men! Having to endure the written excesses of us overbearing women, "talking" too much, as usual, even on the Alvin board! Robin and I have spoiled everything for the guys! Is that it, or what??

Email  

Hi Laurie. I feel embarrassed for forgetting that this is a community board of Alvin Lee fans and most people do not talk about their highly personal business in a forum such as this. I usually prefer to get my history out of the way in the beginning because it always comes out in dribs and drabs eventually.

Anyway.... I am willing to keep my trap shut about my own personal life in consideration of others.

Gotta say I love your warrior spirit.

"Ouch! You saying I talk too much? be honest. I can take it."
Aw, who knows what Jeremy means, Robin. It strikes me as a snipe, if not a slam, but perhaps he'll clarify. Let's not sweat it too much. Your posts are fine. Several weeks ago, before you even joined, he suddenly posted a comment to me about how I'd never make it on Twitter. I called him out on it, told him I used to post there but got bored with it, and said I don't see any particular virtue in enforced brevity. Not with my house full of books! They wouldn't make it on Twitter, either. Stuff takes as long as it takes to say/write. Women are always being accused by men of having "too much" to say. In the old days we had to resort to male pen names, a serious affront to our worth as communicators, I pointed out. He apologized and said he didn't mean to be rude. So who knows. Don't let it discourage you. We must be very powerful to excite such comment, eh? :-)

Email  

I've written many personal anecdotes on here, and sometimes share feelings, as I did yesterday about my mom. Some of the others have written anecdotes and personal observations as well. So don't be embarrassed! Write what you feel moved to write, sista!

Hi Laurie. I feel embarrassed for forgetting that this is a community board of Alvin Lee fans and most people do not talk about their highly personal business in a forum such as this. I usually prefer to get my history out of the way in the beginning because it always comes out in dribs and drabs eventually.

Anyway.... I am willing to keep my trap shut about my own personal life in consideration of others.

Gotta say I love your warrior spirit.

Email  

"Hi Laurie. ........
Gotta say I love your warrior spirit."
Thanks, Robin! It's nice to know somebody around here does!! ;-)

Email  

Hi Laurie, Thank YOU, for your warm and kind words.

I appreciate your replies to me in which you address each of my statements with your own point of view.

Rather than having to guess your meaning, you lay it out very clearly. I don't know if you noticed, but your last responses to my message re "the controversy" were so clearly articulated, I had no further need to ask you questions or clarify my point of view. That is refreshing!

You will never see me involved in any type of altercation here because adrenaline gives me a horrible stomach ache.

As usual, I've totally missed what's happened and why.

DLM, dear friend - you spread so much light and fun around here, so pleease, please stay!

Everyone - there is no such thing as someone "talking too much". Never, ever, nowhere. Keep on rocking, singing, talking, dancing - whatever comes to your mind. It's what life and these great forums are meant for! Remember, we're the cool ones in an otherwise braindead world.

Now, time for my rocking (chair) Joe-Cocker-inspired Zumba fatness dance..

Robin, Laurie, DLM....

I was about to write encouraging all of you, but then I read Borje's post - and he said it all much better than I ever could have.

Thank you all for being part of this Board.

I've watched this sad thread for a while. I do hope Dale cools down. He's been a valuable stalwart of this board since I joined it. My secret trick for when I get wound up by somebody/something is to shout BOLLXXXX! and get on with it.

Laurie, you post away girl but pleeeeease give this feminist militant front thing a rest. I can really do without the "all men are beasts" stuff. As a personal aside, I believe brevity is a talent - check out Oscar Wilde for one.

Lastly, I was there in the Sixties, when the world did change for a while. It was all "do what you want to do, go where you're going to". I'm pretty sure Alvin still lives his life that way. Not so easy for us ordinary mortals but we'll live longer if we stay cool - and that's from the board's resident Mr Grumpy!

Les, I almost posted late last night that I thought this whole thread was getting to seem a bit like a "Twilight Zone" episode, and that I have NO desire to fight the Battle of the Sexes on the Alvin Lee Message Board, but I dozed off with part of a post on my phone screen in my hand. I woke up and decided to scrap it and see what may have been posted here in the meantime before writing further. I was feeling encouraged by what Borje and Toni wrote until I read your post. "...give this feminist militant front thing a rest", my size 11 foot! I shared some feelings honestly as a woman about the word "chick", since this board isn't a men's locker-room, but mixed company, and I don't think it really hurts guys one bit to know when a woman isn't comfortable with certain usages. I didn't issue anyone an edict about what they "can" or "cannot" say, here or anywhere-- I expressed *my opinion*. I worded myself reasonably, if a mite touchily, admitted I was grieving, and even left myself open to other takes on the whole thing by asking "Is it just me, or...?" And THIS is a "feminist militant front"?? Come on, now. It didn't have to result in such a firestorm. I wouldn't have written another word on gender matters in this thread if Dale hadn't had such an extreme (I feel) reaction, that he was being "slammed", etc. Then Robin and I spontaneously discussed some gender matters that occurred to us *as a result*. Jeremy's seemingly sniping post with its little Wonder Woman icon didn't help matters. He and Dale should share some responsibility for outcomes in this thread, but that doesn't seem to occur to you. There wasn't any advance agenda. There was NO "all men are beasts" in what I wrote. If you really came to that conclusion, then I suggest you reread it much more carefully. If/when I make a conversational reference to gender matters, such as after seeing the movie "Mozart's Sister", or when Toni and I have discussed women's issues in the presidential campaign, my sentiments have been forthright, but not wildly bra-burning. Men don't get to be above ALL criticism ALL the time, you know. It doesn't mean women offering reasoned criticism as a result of personal abuse or societal injustice are mindless or militant man-haters, that tired old putdown. Did you catch my comments to Robin yesterday that, while I'm not crazy about the word "chick", it's not normally a big issue for me, and I scarcely feel like marching around my neighborhood with signs about it? Among other comments you appear to have missed. As for Oscar Wilde, I would check him out, if I didn't already own several volumes by and about him. Brevity can certainly be a talent, I agree, but what I wrote was that it's not a *particular virtue*. I mean, it's not an automatic or inherent one. In other words, there are times when it will do, and times when it won't. Check out Shakespeare.

Quote: Les
I've watched this sad thread for a while. I do hope Dale cools down. He's been a valuable stalwart of this board since I joined it. My secret trick for when I get wound up by somebody/something is to shout BOLLXXXX! and get on with it.

Laurie, you post away girl but pleeeeease give this feminist militant front thing a rest. I can really do without the "all men are beasts" stuff. As a personal aside, I believe brevity is a talent - check out Oscar Wilde for one.

Lastly, I was there in the Sixties, when the world did change for a while. It was all "do what you want to do, go where you're going to". I'm pretty sure Alvin still lives his life that way. Not so easy for us ordinary mortals but we'll live longer if we stay cool - and that's from the board's resident Mr Grumpy!

Email  

Hi Les, I agree with you and Mr. Wilde that brevity is a talent. I take great pains to construct concise sentences for business purposes and for persuasive arguements. However...

When talking/writing to other women.... I free-flow.

My ex told me that one of the reasons many men cringe when their wives/girlfriends get together with other women is that we like to share EVERYTHING.

BOLLXXXX!

This image or video will soon be removed or deleted...

I enjoy your posts ,please keep them coming!If there is something of concern ,please address it with whomever! I must have missed something,and remember, that opinions on this board are merely that!Keep on rockin DLM!! pw.

Email  

Borje: when I try to dance I usually start laughing and can't carry on. Last Tango!My wife doesn't give up on me .

Email  

Well put, Robin. I agree, and same here! :-)

..... I take great pains to construct concise sentences for business purposes and for persuasive arguements. However...

When talking/writing to other women.... I free-flow.

Email  

Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious!!! And a hey-nonny-nonny and a hot-cha-cha!! :-)

Quote: Les
"BOLLXXXX!"

Email  

Hi Laurie. Nice to see you again.

Alvin Lee Forever!

Email  

Hi, Robin! Yeah, Alvin Lee forever, indeed. Kinda like Wales. Cymru am byth! ;-)

Hi Laurie. Nice to see you again.

Alvin Lee Forever!

Email