Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Attention Dave!!

Yes, of course, Toni! Misunderstandings are part of the human condition and are entirely survivable, as far as I'm concerned. Compared to the periodic ferocious flame wars I've seen in the past and heard about still occurring in some online communities, such as those specializing in religious debates, this board is heaven online! :-) Besides, if I get discouraged or bent about anything, it's not usually for long. Life's way too short! In this case, I miswrote something and Dave misread something. Sh*t happens. People get tired or have headaches or eyestrain or distractions. Upwards and onwards into the wild bluest blue yonder! :-)

Quote: Toni
Hope all is okay and Dave has been taken off life support and is now breathing on his own again. It's just conversation guys, and we've been doing a great job of it, I think. A little misunderstanding every so often is survivable, right? Right????

Email  
Re: Fools Rush In Where Rush Fouls Up

Maher also has a nasty streak that makes me cringe.

Good points, Don. I never listen to Limbaugh on purpose, since anything I've ever heard the guy say in excerpts or quotes in the news makes me wanna gnash my teeth and do the berserkr bop in a triple tailspin. Silly me. But if he is indeed also a satirist and entertainer, or whatever, wouldn't it be fun to see him in a comedic "Crossfire"-type show with Bill Maher? I think the latter is every bit as arrogant and jerky, if not more so. I just agree with his opinions much of the time, and I've never agreed with anything I've heard Limbaugh say. Yeah, unfortunately Rush is entitled to free speech as well as Bill, although "flirting" with defamation or slander in certain instances is more licentious than liberty-upholding. I'm glad Obama told him off about the "slut" thing.

Email  

The debate that I thought would be fun, and yes, they did tour around the country debating was Timothy Leary and G. Gordon Liddy.

Talk about polarization!

Email  

The debate that I thought would be fun, and yes, they did tour around the country debating was Timothy Leary and G. Gordon Liddy.

Talk about polarization!

Email  

Quote: Don B.
"The debate that I thought would be fun, and yes, they did tour around the country debating was Timothy Leary and G. Gordon Liddy.
Talk about polarization!"
Holy Hallucinations, Batman, what a show that woulda been, LOL! How about Madelyn Murray O'Hare vs. Jimmy Swaggart? Giggle. Except the once-vast televangelist empire of this smarmy, sanctimonious first cousin of Jerry Lee Lewis obviously crumbled after that prostitute scandal, whereas O'Hare was apparently abducted with one of her sons, and is thought to have been the victim of extortion, then bumped off and her body hidden. Saw some of a documentary about that on the tube the other day, but missed the ending, which was to tell if the famous atheist's remains were ever recovered. I'd seen her talk at a local college campus back in the '70s, then gotten into a little impromptu discussion circle with her and several other people afterwards. She was entitled to her opinions, but was just so horrid and scornful in her demeanor, I could understand why so many couldn't stand her. Noticing how red in the face she got as she spoke, I remember thinking she'd probably die of a stroke one day. Seems someone beat her apparent high blood pressure in delivering her to her fate. Not to condone her murder, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Email  

As somebody who can remember Rush back to his days with a local radio show in Sacramento, CA, I wouldn't count Rush out over this latest bombastic mispeak. He has done this type of thing repeatedly throughout his career and seems to come out smelling like a rose.

Case in point, Rush was chased off local radio in Sacramento for referring to a city councilman as a "Chinaman" - only to land a national show.

Email  

Rush comes up smelling like a rose because there are so many people who think the same way he does. Scary to me, but normal to them.

I don't count Rush out. As Robin says there are too many people who think like he does....but I am hoping that one of the results of his hateful tirade will be that some of his like minded politicians will be voted out. There are a lot more women who vote in America than there are Chinese Americans.

Quote: Don B.
As somebody who can remember Rush back to his days with a local radio show in Sacramento, CA, I wouldn't count Rush out over this latest bombastic mispeak. He has done this type of thing repeatedly throughout his career and seems to come out smelling like a rose.

Case in point, Rush was chased off local radio in Sacramento for referring to a city councilman as a "Chinaman" - only to land a national show.

307,217,980 Chinese live in the USA.

Peace,
DLM

Rush's job is to be an @sshole on the radio. People listen, like, and keep listening. Others listen, dislike, and don't listen, or make a stink. It's political theater..................
the only time I hear about him is on the newsclips, uh I mean commentary clips

Hi Toni, I suspect that that the fallout from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation fiasco/faux pas rekindled an awareness and the Rush thing cemented it. These incidents coming so close together are a wakeup call to women that we are sleeping on our power and we will have only ourselves to blame if we don't stand up and use it.

Hey DLM, I rarely pay attention to anything Rush or his type say, because I just don't want or need that BS in my life. But, he does have influence. For those of us who think Rush's ideas are potentially harmful to women, it is frightening to see him up to his antics once again.

My mother and one of my sisters were foaming-at-the-mouth Rush supporters and it made me extremely ill to listen to those two regurgitate his words and ideas as if they were in a cult.

It isn't just entertainment to them and to his die-hard followers. My mother and sister dedicated their lives to spewing hatred against "liberals" with every waking breath. My mother passed thinking that Obama is a Muslim Communist who is determined to ruin America and only Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck can stop him.

Frightening and sickening.

That would be hard. As of the last census, the entire population of the USA is 311,591,917 ...and 50.8% of them are women.

But you're right, he's a shock jock and it's his job to be an *******. But I think he went too far this time, and while it won't sink him, it IS helping to empower women.

Quote: DLM3201
307,217,980 Chinese live in the USA.

Peace,
DLM

Rush's job is to be an @sshole on the radio. People listen, like, and keep listening. Others listen, dislike, and don't listen, or make a stink. It's political theater..................
the only time I hear about him is on the newsclips, uh I mean commentary clips

the batteries on my abacus must be weak.
how about 2.9 million of Chinese ancestry?

50.8% of 311,591,917 are women?

And I can't find one worth keeping?

Peace,
DLM

DLM, you can't find one woman worth keeping? You are looking in the wrong places, my friend.

We women are delightful creatures.

Ha ha, a battery-operated abacus. Love the imagery! But as to not yet finding a woman "worth keeping"... maybe Robin's right, and you've looked in the wrong places, or maybe it's bad luck, or maybe even the need for a shift in attitude and perspective? Most of us can do with that every so often. After all, most relationships are hard work, and many of them fail no matter what the people in them are "worth". Obviously I don't know your situation. But I do know there are an awful lot of good women out there, 'cos I've come across so many of 'em through the years as friends and associates. Platonic guy friends always say the same thing about all the good men in the world, too, whenever my girlfriends and I start in with the "I'm swearing off men forever" routine. Sometimes I've thought I would do just that. I'm rethinking that attitude currently, however, after a bit of a hiatus. I often have problems with men as a group, as they've tended to run the world, but there are certain individual men I will always love wholeheartedly. Do I really want the old roller-coaster ride all over again?? Sigh. Decisions, decisions. ;-)

Peace,
DLM

Email  

Laurie, I hope the answer to your question is----Yes, Yes, Yes, a thousand times, Yes.

Love is a joyful and miraculous gift and we turn our backs on it to our detriment. Take this from a woman who has been alone for 10 years and has said "no" far too many times. I am even thinking of taking my own advice at the next opportunity.

Love itself is wonderful, Robin, but at this point in my life, after a series of passionate, time-consuming, and exhausting relationships through the decades, I've needed more "me" time. There are certain things I still want to accomplish before leaving the planet. Perhaps I can do so without turning into a Pagan nun, however. Recently saw an "old" flame (who's actually younger than I am) and realized I could definitely reignite. ;-)

Quote: Robin
Laurie, I hope the answer to your question is----Yes, Yes, Yes, a thousand times, Yes.

Love is a joyful and miraculous gift and we turn our backs on it to our detriment. Take this from a woman who has been alone for 10 years and has said "no" far too many times. I am even thinking of taking my own advice at the next opportunity.

Email  

Great post, DLM....but I wonder, you don't think it's that they don't think you're worth keeping, do you?

Peace,
DLM

Quote: Toni
Great post, DLM....but I wonder, you don't think it's that they don't think you're worth keeping, do you?

could be.
maybe I don't measure up after a few years with them.
more than likely, they try to put a leash on me, and the old dog likes to roam the neighborhood.

Oh it's the "it's not you, it's me syndrome"
back in the day I was so hip they called me @ss.

Peace,
DLM

I sure hope after this year Superpacs become illegal

I hope the SuperPacs become illegal too...and I hope you find a woman who lets you roam a bit!

Hi Laurie. I envy you in a way. To have had so many passionate love affairs that you prefer to experience other things must be very nice. I have only had one relationship in my entire life. It was a once-in-a-lifetime romance and I feel honored to have experienced it.

I have had 10 years of high-quality alone time and I do feel that it is a luxury I appreciate with all my heart.

Younger men are wonderful. I am fortunate to have a lovely selection of men at my salsa dancing club to date if I choose to. It is hard to always say "no" but my problem is that I am scared to death to say "yes".

Funny how life is.

Re: Attention Dave!!

Quote: Laurie
.....I don't see Sharpton as a bigot, as Dave does ...would be curious to read some substantiation or rationale for that. I rather like him. ......

Email  

Speaking of Religion and of Sharpton.... anyone who is interested might enjoy the 2007 debate between Christopher Hitchens and Rev. Al Sharpton re “Is God great?”. It is easy to find online.